Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 12:57 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
How did the Chinese destroy their satellite? If it was blown up it would be interesting to know how the debris would behave. Much of it would be driven closer to earth in elliptical paths or maybe even into the atmosphere. Would any of it escape earth's gravity?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_C...e_missile_test

China's Anti-Satellite Test: Worrisome Debris Cloud Circles Earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 01:43 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Thanks. So the debris from this collision is in a polar orbit.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Thanks. So the debris from this collision is in a polar orbit.
The satellite was an orbital satellite but after it's destruction I don't know if the debris blasted into another orbit.

More than half of the debris cataloged was said to be in an orbit greater than 850 kilometres (530 mi).

Based on 2009 and 2013 calculations of solar flux, NASA's Orbital Debris Program Office estimated that around 30% of the ≥10 centimeters (3.9 in) debris would still be in orbit in 2035.

For most missions, near polar orbits between 600-1200 km altitude are used. It's this reason that the highest collision risks can be found in the vicinity of the Earths poles.

According to the NASA Orbital Debris Program Office, much of the debris would remain in orbit for decades or centuries after the incident.

Not cool at all.

Old 09-27-2015, 02:04 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
The debris remained in the same orbit although some have an elliptical orbit taking it much higher. It spread around the whole planet in a little more than six months. It seems that the Chinese took a bit of flack for it. So because of the nature of the fragmentation, none of it got sent earthward.

No, not at all cool.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:28 PM

Too bad we can't stop him from adding to the Space Junk!

Satellite, missile test or space junk? North Korea readies launch

Old 09-30-2015, 07:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Nice to run into you here

I though I'd just ask how many pieces of natural space junk (meteoric dust, comet debris, etc.) is floating around there? And also how long is it before man -made space junk goes meteroric? I don't deny that I had dreams of a space shuttle going up with a team of dudes with dustpans and brushes, and I am not doing a teaparty 'nothing to worry about' denial -argument, but is there no continual elimination of the problem as much as it is being made?

Old 10-07-2015, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Nice to run into you here

I though I'd just ask how many pieces of natural space junk (meteoric dust, comet debris, etc.) is floating around there? And also how long is it before man -made space junk goes meteroric? I don't deny that I had dreams of a space shuttle going up with a team of dudes with dustpans and brushes, and I am not doing a teaparty 'nothing to worry about' denial -argument, but is there no continual elimination of the problem as much as it is being made?
Nice to see you here as well.

OK for the first question according to NASA: NASA Orbital Debris FAQs
  • More than 21,000 orbital debris larger than 10 cm are known to exist.
  • The estimated population of particles between 1 and 10 cm in diameter is approximately 500,000.
  • The number of particles smaller than 1 cm exceeds 100 million.

For the second this is what I have found:
  • The higher the altitude, the longer the orbital debris will typically remain in Earth orbit.
  • Debris left in orbits below 600 km normally fall back to Earth within several years.
  • At altitudes of 800 km, the time for orbital decay is often measured in decades.
  • Above 1,000 km, orbital debris will normally continue circling the Earth for a century or more.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Ta. I remember seeing a computer animation of a cloud of debris being tracked. It looked like a pretty even distribution from low to high orbits. So the lower stuff is turning into meteor showers within years. I know the pieces are bigger than the average meteor which is big if it is the size of a marble. At the same time, this stuff is made of plastic or aluminium foil, not stone or nickel. So total burnup is on the cards.

The higher stuff will take decades, and even centuries. But - and I am not doing a Teaparty 'No problem..we can just keep on doing what we do and it will all sort itself out WGH... But there does seem to be at least a reasonable amount of reabsorbsion of the junk.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:47 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Default A mysterious chunk of space debris called 'WTF' is headed straight for Earth

Well, that's how the article is titled. Actually, experts have dubbed it WT1190F and some experts think that this piece of space junk could be a residual rocket stage or piece of paneling from a past Moon mission. The article states that for the first time, experts have calculated the exact time and location a piece of space junk will collide with Earth. I thought they had done this before, but perhaps those were approximate estimates.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/myster...184702274.html

Space junk is not only a problem for astronauts in space, but there is a chance, no matter how very small, that a piece of space junk could survive reentry and strike someone. I've seen pictures where a small meteorite has crashed though the roof of someone's house, and where one has hit a car. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space