Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 07:54 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times

Advertisements

Looking at this image of the Pluto Badlands from The Johns Hopkins University of Applied Physics it appears like there is a problem with the lens of this camera.

Can anyone tell me why there is a kind of 'overlay' over this image. It appears almost as if you are trying to see the image through some bathroom glass. Why isn't the image of the Pluto surface clear and sharp because the equipment is obviously very expensive and good quality.

If you are going to send a spacecraft off into space to send back images, you do not want the images to be poor quality since the hope is to do some serious science on them when they arrive back at Earth. We have not heard of any problems with the equipment either.

As an example taken from this linked image above, you can see it is more intense at the top than at the bottom of this crater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 09:00 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
The picture you posted is actually a highest resolution image of this part of Pluto. A greater land area than is shown in your picture is seen in the image below and you can get a better sense of the contrasts of the surface than your picture allows. This image also shows a greater texture at the top of the crater. I don't know if your picture was actually taken as a separate and more zoomed in picture than the one below, or if the zooming in was done in the lab resulting in a more pronounced graininess. Also, the picture was taken with an unusual observing mode as explained below.

'This highest-resolution image from NASA's New Horizons spacecraft shows how erosion and faulting has sculpted this portion of Pluto's icy crust into rugged badlands.'

'These images were made with the telescopic Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) aboard New Horizons, in a timespan of about a minute centered on 11:36 UT on July 14 -- just about 15 minutes before New Horizons' closest approach to Pluto -- from a range of just 10,000 miles (17,000 kilometers). They were obtained with an unusual observing mode; instead of working in the usual "point and shoot," LORRI snapped pictures every three seconds while the Ralph/Multispectral Visual Imaging Camera (MVIC) aboard New Horizons was scanning the surface. This mode requires unusually short exposures to avoid blurring the images.'

Space Images | Pluto's Badlands

Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 AM

You have give some good information, thanks. However, you have not shed any light about the overlay and what may be causing it.

I may be wrong, but I understood graininess was a product of film images not digital images. I understood that the silver emulsion which was the sensitive area of a film contained the grains as crysstals within the film layer and nowadays we do not have this. Whenever I have zoomed in on a picture I have taken on earth, the image becomes pixellated as I zoom in, not grainy. These are not pixels as they are not square.

I cannot think it would be acceptable to NASA scientists for images to have this overlay.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:43 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You have give some good information, thanks. However, you have not shed any light about the overlay and what may be causing it.

I may be wrong, but I understood graininess was a product of film images not digital images. I understood that the silver emulsion which was the sensitive area of a film contained the grains as crysstals within the film layer and nowadays we do not have this. Whenever I have zoomed in on a picture I have taken on earth, the image becomes pixellated as I zoom in, not grainy. These are not pixels as they are not square.

I cannot think it would be acceptable to NASA scientists for images to have this overlay.
You can always ask NASA about it.

NASA - Ask NASA:

Old 12-14-2015, 07:50 PM

I can yes, but we all know how they only answer what they want to push out to the public. It would be a total waste of time, mine and theirs. Thats why I was hoping someone might have some insights why this was not a clear image of the surface. Anyway, thanks.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
You made it easy for NASA. A question unasked is always unanswered.

I doubt anyone on this forum works for NASA. You're asking the wrong group.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
You made it easy for NASA. A question unasked is always unanswered.
I doubt anyone on this forum works for NASA. You're asking the wrong group.
Maybe I am, but I doubt it. If you think about it, there are plenty of people who are knowledgable in this and other fields who dont work for NASA. Those are the people I am targeting because those are the ones who have the freedom to educate others truthfully and not in my opinion push an agenda. (well, not the government agenda anyway)

The folk who work for NASA are bound by organisational restrictions the rest of us are not bound by. That is why it is pretty useless asking NASA because we will likely only get the official version which is not necessarily the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space