Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: They will be
Hostile (like the aliens in Independence Day) 15 41.67%
Peaceful (like the alien in E.T.) 21 58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:27 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But...I would definitely see the aliens as having been the apex predators of their world, and probably having evolved from carnivores or omnivores rather than herbivores.
So do you see them as having moved off their home planet because they needed more space or because they wanted to explore or why? If they were so advanced, they probably would have regulated their population so that they did not need to plunder resources from other planets. They probably would have evolved into a bunch of veggies (vegetarians) rather than inefficiently raising meat to eat.

If they or we manage our planet properly, we dont actually need to go off-world to look for resources. The ones who do are probably more likely to feel that killing-need like we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
So do you see them as having moved off their home planet because they needed more space or because they wanted to explore or why? If they were so advanced, they probably would have regulated their population so that they did not need to plunder resources from other planets. They probably would have evolved into a bunch of veggies (vegetarians) rather than inefficiently raising meat to eat.

If they or we manage our planet properly, we dont actually need to go off-world to look for resources. The ones who do are probably more likely to feel that killing-need like we do.
I see them as having moved off world to explore, because of a philosophic perspective that they desire the continuation of their species (which eventually would require back-up worlds), for resources, or because of disagreements about political views or a few other motivations.

Even now we have Libertarians talking about building cities in international waters where they can have different building codes and more lax gun laws. Think of how many Libertarians would try to flee Earth to new, safe, off-world habitats if they had the means and we had laws mandating population regulation and strict environmental policies in every nation down here on their home planet.

From that points the views of the travelers will change over time. Maybe all they need is the sun for energy and a few minerals from the asteroid belt for raw materials and a solar system that's away from their neighbors who are of the rival political party and voted for Xlarbnar rather than Goldfoom.

I think they would have evolved into vegetarians too, or at least the spacefarers would have, because you can't really bring along meat animals in space due to the lack of room. That likely vegetarianism of spacefarers is another good sign for humanity, as is the fact that in space life will lack the abundance it has on worlds, making it a rare commodity possibly with increased value to spacefarers.

I think it could go either way. I'd expect spacefarers to be more advanced than their planet-bound brethren, because they need to be to survive. Their citizens will have to be more cooperative than their planet-bound brethren, and obedient, and careful. That caution could be a good thing for humanity. When I think of a long-term spacefaring civilization, I think of a people who could wipe out humanity with the touch of a button, but at least would have thought about it carefully before doing so, if they choose to. No sense wiping out the humans if the alien version of an eco-terrorist has the ability to blow a hole in a ship side which sucks everyone out into space with ease if they become irritated enough, if there's a high enough chance of that happening.

Last edited by Clintone; 10-03-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-09-2016, 10:01 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
Aliens will never visit Earth. The civilised ones might send a robotic probe and will soon conclude that humans are a vicious bunch of savages not worth dealing with. The evil aliens will never develop interstellar travel as they will be devoting all their energies to slaughtering each other - rather like us.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:34 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
Aliens will never visit Earth. The civilised ones might send a robotic probe and will soon conclude that humans are a vicious bunch of savages not worth dealing with. The evil aliens will never develop interstellar travel as they will be devoting all their energies to slaughtering each other - rather like us.
This, I think, makes a lot of sense.

So long as FTL travel seems impossible, if intelligent spacefaring aliens do exist there appears to be none near us so far, so it would take quite awhile for any to get here probably making the trip something for a probe or robotic life form that doesn't need the same resources living organisms do.

Space travel will probably require much cooperation and at least stable societies because if they have too many civil wars nobody is going to care about spaceflight. They'll care about the civil war.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post

We (humans) will have to eventually no matter what.

Our sun isn't going to last forever, so if the human race as we know it is going to continue, at some point we will have to leave this solar system.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:21 PM

684 posts, read 713,424 times
Somewhat segmented. A civilization that has the technology to visit us (all things considered) would have the more advanced weapons.

See, space has more energy and metals then here on earth. Space has everything but life. So why come here ? What is here on earth that some-one who has the technology to do that travel would want ?

Another point to wonder about. We live on earth and adopt to our environment. like(We adopt to the winters and to the summers.) So with more technological advancement we would create an environment for us. Since both energy and metals are in plentiful in space. Future humans would live in space (space ships). Suppose we have the technology to create artificial gravity, harvest energy in space and mine for resources. What if we have "replicators" that can identically replicate food. What if we have alloys that maintain temperature (A metal that is always 65f degrees).... You live on a self sustaining ship, it's cheap and easy to expend the ship or build more ships. A ship is like a city, it has a small population of 2-3 million people.... Ships don't have natural disasters, you can easily contain the environment to be as sterile as you want it to be.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:02 AM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
I truly appreciate what everyone has shared. There are so many incredible possibilities that I don't want to get off topic. Do any of you remember the article Stephen Hawking wrote about a month ago? I wish I had saved the link. Anyway, it was his opinion the ET would most likely be hostile and he explained it in layman's terms. I'll do a little digging and try to find and post his story.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:36 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Mr. Hawking and I have the same experience with aliens -- neither of us have seen any. In fact, no one has. So where do our opinions about them come from? Popular culture? Hollywood movies?

Old 12-26-2016, 02:51 AM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Mr. Hawking and I have the same experience with aliens -- neither of us have seen any. In fact, no one has. So where do our opinions about them come from? Popular culture? Hollywood movies?
Does anyone really know Mr Hawking and would he tell them if he had experienced anything alien? The answer is probably "No" so just because you have not does not mean no-one else has. There are plenty of credible witnesses who claim to have been abducted by aliens. Are they all derranged or on some serious medication?

Why should the rest of us believe you rather than all these other witnesses who claim they have experienced aliens?

Old 12-31-2016, 01:35 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
People love to speculate on this subject -including very prominate scientists- but the fact of the matter is that there's no way of telling until they get here.

The pro hostile group always compare to human history and how it went for the natives but they wouldn't be anything like humans. It's akin to trying to compare human history to Aardvark history. They will have completely different chemistry from us and completely different brains that think in ways we don't.

The only consistent thing we see in life on Earth is that life will do everything it can to self preserve. What that means as it applies to ET is up to you to interpret.

I doubt they would come here for the resources. You can get everything Earth has commonly throughout the universe, and you wouldn't have to put up with our BS to get it if you went elsewhere.

They could be a predatory species that views any other intelligent life as a threat so it goes to eliminate that threat before it becomes a problem (self preservation) or it could just as easily view us as an opportunity to gain/share knowledge to help their civilization (again, self preservation).

We really just don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space