Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: They will be
Hostile (like the aliens in Independence Day) 15 41.67%
Peaceful (like the alien in E.T.) 21 58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 09:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If they are advanced enough to pass our way, they would be robots. They might need replacement parts. They would need metals and perhaps some plastic to build the replacement parts. Earth has plenty and the factories to manufacture them.

However, time and distance make such visit unlikely -- if another technological species exists at all.
Surely a space faring species would have replication technology so as not to rely on the need for stopping every time they need something.
Also if they did need something in the way of natural resources why would they stop at Earth and expose themselves to conflict and danger when they could just go to any of the other planets and get what they need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 10:28 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Surely a space faring species would have replication technology so as not to rely on the need for stopping every time they need something.
Also if they did need something in the way of natural resources why would they stop at Earth and expose themselves to conflict and danger when they could just go to any of the other planets and get what they need.
I have thought about this since I posted here. Aliens, no matter how advanced they are, still have to follow the laws of physics. They might be tougher than us and able to withstand up to, say, 300 degrees. But at 800 degrees, they would probably burn up or at least malfunction. Same idea with pressure. They can't just go to any planet to find resources. They won't make it on planets are very hot, or have very high pressure. And these types of planets are everywhere. Earth, at one time, was burning hot and uninhabitable even for advanced aliens.

It would be safer for them to go to earth and take over than to go to, say, Venus or Mercury. I would say a planet like earth would be on any alien's list to go for resources.

What is replication technology? You can't just wave a wand and something magically appears. Theoretically, you can transform energy into matter and make everything you want. I think the Big Bang is an example of energy (a big explosion) transforming into matters -- the universe and everything in it.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-28-2017 at 10:42 AM..

Old 06-01-2017, 11:03 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1
Aliens, no matter how advanced they are, still have to follow the laws of physics.
The laws of physics are only as good as our understanding of the way the Universe works. It is very arrogant of us to believe we have discovered all that is and ever will be. Currently, there are some flawed laws many of which are still being used, even though they were developed in the 19th century or early 20th centuries.

Now we understand more and have discovered more, these laws still have not been changed to reflect the new ideas proved by experimentation. There are still plenty of things which we dont understand and which we have no 'laws' to explain, the paranormal is just one example.

So, we assume there is only one dimension, because if there is more than one, then most of the laws of physics will have to be rewritten to account for the phenomena which will be discovered and observed when we realise there are other realities, not just our own.

Quote:
What is replication technology?
Yes, you can just "wave a wand" if the technology and method for creating matter is understood. It is highly likely that if man gets to live another few generations we will understand all of this. So ET technology which is probably centuries ahead of ours has almost certainly got this replication technology as a normal process.

The only thing which is on Earth which is likely to be of any use is the environment which we are quickly destroying and the human species. Humans might have some DNA or abilities which ET might like for themselves. Or come to that, maybe we are food or good at being slaves for their off-world labour camps.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:50 PM

672 posts, read 810,365 times
Third option-
They are here. Maybe, have always been here.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:11 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have thought about this since I posted here. Aliens, no matter how advanced they are, still have to follow the laws of physics. They might be tougher than us and able to withstand up to, say, 300 degrees. But at 800 degrees, they would probably burn up or at least malfunction. Same idea with pressure. They can't just go to any planet to find resources. They won't make it on planets are very hot, or have very high pressure. And these types of planets are everywhere. Earth, at one time, was burning hot and uninhabitable even for advanced aliens.

It would be safer for them to go to earth and take over than to go to, say, Venus or Mercury. I would say a planet like earth would be on any alien's list to go for resources.

What is replication technology? You can't just wave a wand and something magically appears. Theoretically, you can transform energy into matter and make everything you want. I think the Big Bang is an example of energy (a big explosion) transforming into matters -- the universe and everything in it.
And Mars would be much easier still, due to its lower gravity.

Even better would be asteroids - their far lower gravity would entail much less energy required to remove resources than from a planet. Also, asteroids are mixed assortments of minerals, whereas on planets such as Earth, different substances (mostly heavy ones) are largely tucked away deep below the surface of the planet, making extraction all the more problematic.

Beyond that, if there are scattered civilizations in the galaxy, they must be very rare (else, as Fermi noted, we'd see evidence of them). And if they're very rare, the odds are long that they'd come to our little solar system.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:38 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,020 times
I think aliens will be similar to us. We are made of space dust just like they will be.

They will come here either to explore or need our planet because their system is dieing.

There is life in our solar system. We just didn't find it yet, some bacteria is all there needs to be. Intelligent is out there somewhere someday we will find them.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:53 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
And Mars would be much easier still, due to its lower gravity.

Even better would be asteroids - their far lower gravity would entail much less energy required to remove resources than from a planet. Also, asteroids are mixed assortments of minerals, whereas on planets such as Earth, different substances (mostly heavy ones) are largely tucked away deep below the surface of the planet, making extraction all the more problematic.

Beyond that, if there are scattered civilizations in the galaxy, they must be very rare (else, as Fermi noted, we'd see evidence of them). And if they're very rare, the odds are long that they'd come to our little solar system.
I want there to be technological species like us as much as anyone else, but the evidence of their existence just isn't there. Unless an advanced species can somehow overcome the limitation of light speed, interstellar travel would take too long for any human-like beings. The solution is sending robots. And we have been doing that since the very first satellites. Those satellites are now leaving the solar system, sending physical evidence of our existence to the rest of the galaxy. A million years from now we might or might not be here, but those satellites would still be out there to let any potential civilization know about us.

Similarly, I would expect an older and more advanced species, if they exist or existed, to have sent physical evidence of their existence throughout the rest of the galaxy like we did. And if they have/had been around longer than us, they surely could have sent hundreds or even thousands of satellites to far corners of the galaxy. But so far, we have not detected any.

List of our satellite ambassadors to the galaxy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...e_Solar_System

An educated, rational view on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAU9...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by davidt1; 07-01-2017 at 10:26 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 01:24 AM

252 posts, read 358,765 times
I am curious to know if you believe the government will tell you? Why do you think the space station is up there?
How do you explain objects that change direction and velocity as seen on this ?
https://youtu.be/yBkpYN0Qgic

Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
"Why do you think the space station is up there?"

Uhh, 'cause I have seen it?

Old 07-03-2017, 06:58 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduced View Post
I am curious to know if you believe the government will tell you? Why do you think the space station is up there?
How do you explain objects that change direction and velocity as seen on this ?
https://youtu.be/yBkpYN0Qgic
The ISS can easily be imaged. Here's a photo taken with a telescope from a British civilian:

Ridiculously awesome pic of Discovery and the ISS taken from the ground! - Bad Astronomy : Bad Astronomy

Did you really think it was that difficult to see something the size of a football field at a distance of 200 miles with a telescope?

As for YouTube videos, I don't bother trying to explain them. There are certainly things that cannot be explained. I do not slap the label 'Aliens!' on such things out of default, because I understand basic logic.

You know, insinuating that X must be true because the government denies is utterly illogical. If you asked NASA if it currently has a warp drive, a manned presence on Pluto, and a secret launch site at the South Pole that it uses for jaunts to meet our Alien Overlords up in orbit, the space agency would undoubtedly deny all three. Does that mean you believe in all three of those things? Because that's your 'logic' applied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space