Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 05:07 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times

Advertisements

hmmm, I tried to copy a post from SC section to also show here in this section (and my capabilities are short).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 05:22 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
I just went outside and looked at 'the great conjuncture', the alignment of Jupiter and Saturn. 5 min ago, it was in the low SW sky and very distinct; I mean if your skies are clear, you'll see something like never before. Easily and not mistakeable. Pretty cool ...
Ok, this is my post from SouthCarolina section. and I am located near Augusta, GA. on a beautiful starry evening.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:12 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Glad you were able to see it. There are certain advantages to living in the sticks, aren't there? I stepped out on the back deck yesterday and there it was. No fuss, no bother, no driving to a dark spot away from city lights. Saw some of Jupiter's moons through the telescope and was a little surprised that Saturn seemed as distant as it did. I'm used to easily being able to see the rings.

Celestial events tend to keep our short lives a little more humble and give us perspective. The fluff and nonsense of daily lives, news feeds, and politics would distract us, while planets rumble along, hardly noticing the mayflies that flit in and out of existence.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:52 AM

283 posts, read 729,210 times
So I wasn't able to see the conjunction due to clouds on Monday evening. I know that is when they were supposed to be right on top of each other.

I went out Tuesday evening and wasn't sure if I saw the conjunction or not. I was trying to use one of those night sky apps to tell me where Jupiter/Saturn were, and every 10 seconds it would tell me they were in a different direction. Something was wrong with the compass on my phone, and I couldn't use the Moon as a reference because the clouds were blocking it.

I did see a couple of bright dots above a tree in the southwest direction, that were very close to each other. Were Jupiter and Saturn still very close Tuesday night? I just want to know if that was the conjunction or not.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:08 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I saw the same last night slcity, and yes I believe it was the two planets. I missed the conjunction because of the cloud cover on Monday, but just after sunset you could see them close together. I've been able to watch them move across the sky all summer.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:20 PM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
So I wasn't able to see the conjunction due to clouds on Monday evening. I know that is when they were supposed to be right on top of each other.

I went out Tuesday evening and wasn't sure if I saw the conjunction or not. I was trying to use one of those night sky apps to tell me where Jupiter/Saturn were, and every 10 seconds it would tell me they were in a different direction. Something was wrong with the compass on my phone, and I couldn't use the Moon as a reference because the clouds were blocking it.

I did see a couple of bright dots above a tree in the southwest direction, that were very close to each other. Were Jupiter and Saturn still very close Tuesday night? I just want to know if that was the conjunction or not.
Yes, that was them. They were indeed close to each other still... and a bit further tonight... a bit further tomorrow... etc. That means you also could have seen them close together in the days before Monday... it's just that Monday was the night they were closest.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:41 AM

283 posts, read 729,210 times
Thanks, I hope I saw them. I went out again tonight and there were too many clouds in the way.

When I saw them, they weren't close to the horizon, since they were above a nearby tree. Are they supposed to be very close to the horizon all evening? The night sky app showed them very near the horizon.

Old 12-24-2020, 10:23 AM

6,454 posts, read 3,974,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
Thanks, I hope I saw them. I went out again tonight and there were too many clouds in the way.

When I saw them, they weren't close to the horizon, since they were above a nearby tree. Are they supposed to be very close to the horizon all evening? The night sky app showed them very near the horizon.
It depends on what time you went out. They'll be higher above the horizon, the earlier it is.

Jupiter will be easy to find; it'll be the brightest thing in the sky besides the moon. Saturn is more faint, and these days easiest to find because of its proximity to Jupiter. Mars is also up there and still quite bright, not too far from the moon.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:50 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
I'm glad some above got the word right; conjunction, instead of conjuncture (#4 and #5).

Old 12-24-2020, 02:40 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm glad some above got the word right; conjunction, instead of conjuncture (#4 and #5).
Meh, I'm a word nerd, and I like contuncture as a neologism. Seeking out a great conjunction in the sky had me looking for interstellar ampersands.

Conjuncture combines conjunction and conjecture, which fits, as some claim or suggest this as the star of Bethlehem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space