Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 03:22 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Not unless it's #14 welder's glass.

If you can't get a safe solar filter, use a projection method to indirectly view the eclipse safely. Don't risk your eyes.
OR,
One can still buy eclipse glasses. The glasses are for sale throughout the zone, and in areas around the zone.

I just realized that Amazon is out of the ones that I had verified were certified, and what I am seeing there now is very expensive. Now that Amazon removed all the listings that could not be verified as ISO certified, the prices of what was left went way up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:16 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
OR,
One can still buy eclipse glasses. The glasses are for sale throughout the zone, and in areas around the zone.

I just realized that Amazon is out of the ones that I had verified were certified, and what I am seeing there now is very expensive. Now that Amazon removed all the listings that could not be verified as ISO certified, the prices of what was left went way up.
Even the Lowes near me (about 1000 miles away) has lots of glasses for sale.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:30 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
OR,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Even the Lowes near me (about 1000 miles away) has lots of glasses for sale.
It can't be stressed enough that, at least online, there have been warnings about fake eclipse glasses being sold which can put the person who wears them at risk of eye damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_IkKrhmo4w

Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,921,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It can't be stressed enough that, at least online, there have been warnings about fake eclipse glasses being sold which can put the person who wears them at risk of eye damage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_IkKrhmo4w
My FIL got some dubious eclipse glasses from Amazon that were recalled last week. Now it's too late for him to get any online. Luckily I bought a 10 pack for my 4 person family so I can just send him some in the mail.

The ones I got at Lowes were genuine from American Paper Optics.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:38 AM

17,575 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
My FIL got some dubious eclipse glasses from Amazon that were recalled last week. Now it's too late for him to get any online. Luckily I bought a 10 pack for my 4 person family so I can just send him some in the mail.

The ones I got at Lowes were genuine from American Paper Optics.
I actually bought some through amazon.. Back in February or so.. I knew there'd be a crunch as we got closer.. Think I bought like 60 pairs.. Still have about 10 sitting here next to me.. Figure there'll be people in the parking lot here that don't have them and i'll hand them out then.. Of course, someone told me I should charge $20 a pair, but..

These were Rainbow Symphony glasses, which are one of the approved manufacturers.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:06 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Default Tips to Indirectly & Safely View the Eclipse Without Glasses!

There have been warnings not to look directly at the Sun, so there's no need to rehash that. Some stores have completely sold out their supply of glasses to safely view the eclipse. If you don't have glasses approved for watching the eclipse, and stores around are sold out, there are other alternatives that can allow you to indirectly watch the eclipse. You can take a piece of ordinary cardboard and use a pencil to punch a hole all the way through it. You'll want to have a white piece of paper that you can set on the sidewalk or driveway or wherever you'll have a view of the eclipse. Set the cardboard near the paper and tilt the cardboard at an angle so the light from the Sun shines through the hole onto the paper. As the eclipse increases in obscurity, you should see a dark curve of the Moon's shadow that gradually increases the circular sunlight light on the paper. It's cheap to make, and safe on your eyes.

The video below also gives a couple of other handy ideas as safe alternatives you can use. I would also recommend looking around outdoors at trees, shrubs, cars, houses, buildings and whatever else, to see how it looks. Look at outdoor pets or other animals to see if the eclipse has any kind of effect on their behavior. I did that back in the 70's and it was a pretty weird experience as the eclipse approached totality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS3uXWiV8A4

Old 08-17-2017, 09:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
I looked at the sun with a special pair of 8x binoculars today. Wow, pretty impressive; I could even see the sunspots.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I looked at the sun with a special pair of 8x binoculars today. Wow, pretty impressive; I could even see the sunspots.
Ages ago, I had a small refractor telescope that included a sun filter that could be threaded on. It was very interesting to be able to safely see the sunspots.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:01 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Ages ago, I had a small refractor telescope that included a sun filter that could be threaded on. It was very interesting to be able to safely see the sunspots.
Observing sunspots is very cool. But for the benefit of any readers who may own an old 60 mm refractor like the one you describe: sun filters that screw onto an eyepiece (as opposed to the front of the telescope) ARE NOT SAFE!!! The intense, focused heat of the sunlight can cause such a filter to suddenly crack while in use. If you own such a filter, destroy it! Then go get a safe filter that fits on the front of the telescope.

Safe solar filters ALWAYS filter the sunlight to safe levels before the light enters the optical assembly.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Observing sunspots is very cool. But for the benefit of any readers who may own an old 60 mm refractor like the one you describe: sun filters that screw onto an eyepiece (as opposed to the front of the telescope) ARE NOT SAFE!!! The intense, focused heat of the sunlight can cause such a filter to suddenly crack while in use. If you own such a filter, destroy it! Then go get a safe filter that fits on the front of the telescope.

Safe solar filters ALWAYS filter the sunlight to safe levels before the light enters the optical assembly.
Agreed, and thanks for the heads up warning. I never had a cracking problem with the sun lens, probably because I didn't use the telescope more than a few minutes to observe the sun and its sunspots. Most of my time was at night looking at stars, planets and M-31 without the sun filter. But I can see how the sun filter could possibly crack. I should mention that was some 50 years ago. The telescope I used was a refractor with a star diagonal prism to make sky viewing easier. While your suggestion makes sense, the point was meant that the solar filter was dark enough to allow viewing the sun with the telescope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space