Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
<>Yesterday, my neighbor (in Oregon) said he knew a guy who bought up a bunch and was selling them for $7.00 each.
I gave away my last two pair at Santee Monday morning.
"could have been rich!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I gave away my last two pair at Santee Monday morning.
"could have been rich!"
No problem.
1. Buy up all the discontinued ISO certified glasses at various stores wanting to sell off the rest of their stock. HURRY before someone else grabs them!
2. Wait until 2024 for the next eclipse.
3. Head to a heavily populated area that's right in the path of the eclipse.
4. Pick a choice parking spot with a lot of traffic and a good open view of the eclipse.
5. Put up a "LAST CHANCE TO BUY ECLIPSE GLASSES!" sign.
6. Ka-Ching! Rake in the profits. $$$$$$$

Old 08-22-2017, 01:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
This was my first eclipse and it was truly spectacular! People who saw even 90% total don't get at all the same qualitative experience as being on the path of totality and seeing the corona - and it got so much darker than I expected with such eery light.

After seeing this one, I'll definitely drive a few hours to see the one in 2024 that will last over 4 minutes (compared to 2:40 max for this last one). Who's with me?!

Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
<>After seeing this one, I'll definitely drive a few hours to see the one in 2024 that will last over 4 minutes (compared to 2:40 max for this last one). Who's with me?!
I'll try to drag my 81 year old a$$ off to Texas, I guess. I had a very hard time getting out of bed Monday to drive 3 hrs to Santee.
"I'll get an earlier start next time"

Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
In the past I have always been in the wrong place at the wrong time to view a total eclipse. So this time I will be watching either from Lincoln Beach or Madras Oregon, or some point in between, depending on weather and traffic conditions.
Update: I went back and forth between watching it on Lincoln Beach or at Madras. But my dream for watching the eclipse from the beach just wasn't going to happen. Some people in that area managed to see it, but they had to be up above the fog. I made the right decision and on Sunday evening I took off for Madras. I got there late and slept in my car. Then the first thing in the morning I found a nice high point on a canyon rim at about 7AM. The weather was perfect I could see nearby Mt Jefferson. But then about 8AM smoke from a forest fire on the mountain started to drift into the area. Breathing was difficult, but I stayed put. The smoke cleared out just enough for a pretty view the eclipse. Then I joined tens of thousands of people in a massive traffic jam to leave.

Here are some pictures that I took. I'm not sure what the weird bubble effect is at the bottom of the picture.

These pictures of the landscape, I took the first one about one minute before totality, and the second one right after the sun disappeared. The picture brightness is way high though. Actually the second picture is what I remember the brightness looking like right before totality. Then it got that much darker. Even when I was taking the picture I was thinking that the brightness on the LCD screen was too bright. The contrast is about right though.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
No problem.
1. Buy up all the discontinued ISO certified glasses at various stores wanting to sell off the rest of their stock. HURRY before someone else grabs them!
2. Wait until 2024 for the next eclipse.
3. Head to a heavily populated area that's right in the path of the eclipse.
4. Pick a choice parking spot with a lot of traffic and a good open view of the eclipse.
5. Put up a "LAST CHANCE TO BUY ECLIPSE GLASSES!" sign.
6. Ka-Ching! Rake in the profits. $$$$$$$
Ollie's bargain barn is way ahead of you there, probably.

Old 08-23-2017, 01:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Ollie's bargain barn is way ahead of you there, probably.
I wouldn't doubt it would take much to get ahead of me in that corner of the market. So, Ollie's has been out making the rounds picking up Eclipse Glasses made in China? I trust that they've also picked up a few novelty X-Ray Specs. Of course the catch for street vendors is having to wait for about 7 years to sell when the demand comes around again.

I wonder how the street vendors made out selling glasses out of their cars? I'm sure they made something. Probably not enough for the mansion though, but maybe a little bit to help cover the cost of gasoline.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:19 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I didn't think I had taken anything particularly of interest, but then I noticed a spot to the left of the sun on two images in the exact same spot. I was shooting a little northwest, and according to a couple of sites that spot was Mercury. It seems a bit large for Mercury to me, as I've seen it transit the sun, however, I can't imagine that I made a perfect crescent shape blur in the camera, so I guess it must be.

I'm surprised it showed up, as Baily's beads were fairly constantly showing and I thought they would set the exposure wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
First total eclipse visible from the continental USA in 100 years coming August 21st!-eclipse-w-mercury.jpg  

Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I didn't think I had taken anything particularly of interest, but then I noticed a spot to the left of the sun on two images in the exact same spot. I was shooting a little northwest, and according to a couple of sites that spot was Mercury.<>
My sky map at heavens-above.com showed Mercury more to the South at the eclipse. You can set that web site for your location and time to see the position in a map.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
This looks like a more accurate image. The size is more what I remember, in comparison to the sun. I'm not sure of the reason for the coloration, except possibly that it was extremely humid, and somehow there was some atmospheric diffraction.
Attached Thumbnails
First total eclipse visible from the continental USA in 100 years coming August 21st!-eclipse-w-mercury2.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space