Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

I've never really had much skill in picking out constellations. I usually just see dots.

I just went outside tonight to dump my trash, I look up and the first thing I see... There is Orion.

Is orion somehow enhanced tonight? Or have I just learned through the osmosis of Sci Fi shows to spot him?

What constellations are especially easy to recognize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 05:24 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Can you see the very faint (dim) stars next to Orion that make it look like an arrow ? <--

The arrow will always point toward the Polaris. (north star)

Old 01-19-2018, 05:34 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Are they very close to the belt? I thought I saw them, then a couple cars came by and I lost them.

Edit...

The stars I saw are between the belt and the lower stars of what I will call the the "skirt"; Rigel and Siaph. They are close to Saiph, not in a straight line; very dim.

Each time I go out to see, I get a lot of cars coming by and house lights obscuring my view.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 01-19-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 01-19-2018, 06:47 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Are they very close to the belt? I thought I saw them, then a couple cars came by and I lost them.

Edit...

The stars I saw are between the belt and the lower stars of what I will call the the "skirt"; Rigel and Siaph. They are close to Saiph, not in a straight line; very dim.

Each time I go out to see, I get a lot of cars coming by and house lights obscuring my view.

Yes, near the belt. Sometimes I even need to kinda stare at the belt, then suddenly see the arrow pattern. They are dim, but once you see them it will be easy from then on out.

If you think you see the arrow pattern, look north to the north star. If it aligns, you got it.

Anytime of year it will get you to NORTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space