Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 02:39 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

This 6th July 2019 article on Space.com -

Mars Soil May Be Toxic to Microbes Space.com 06Jul19

Quote:
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation streaming from the sun "activates" chlorine compounds in the Red Planet's soil, turning them into potent microbe-killers, a new study suggests.

These compounds, known as perchlorates, seem to be widespread in the Martian dirt; several NASA missions have detected them at a variety of locations. Perchlorates have some characteristics that would appear to boost the Red Planet's habitability. They drastically lower the freezing point of water, for example, and they offer a potential energy source for microorganisms, scientists have said. [The Search for Life on Mars: A Photo Timeline]

But the new study, by Jennifer Wadsworth and Charles Cockell — both of the U.K. Centre for Astrobiology at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland — paints perchlorates in a different light. The researchers exposed the bacterium Bacillus subtilis, a common spacecraft contaminant, to perchlorates and UV radiation at levels similar to those found at and near the Martian surface. (Because Mars' atmosphere is just 1 percent as thick as that of Earth, UV fluxes are much higher on the Red Planet than on Earth.
I suspect that any base on Mars will need to grow their own food, possibly in greenhouse-like structures. On the other hand, I suppse they could use hydroponics to grow food in nutrient-film which would be more efficient perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 05:06 AM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times
I suppose you're right, but we aren't there, yet.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:29 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This 6th July 2019 article on Space.com -

Mars Soil May Be Toxic to Microbes Space.com 06Jul19

I suspect that any base on Mars will need to grow their own food, possibly in greenhouse-like structures. On the other hand, I suppse they could use hydroponics to grow food in nutrient-film which would be more efficient perhaps.
That is so obvious it'e beyond ridiculous to mention it.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Having been in the US Antarctic Program in the past, they have been using an entirely self-contained greenhouse designed by the University of Arizona at South Pole Station for 15 years now.

One of the reasons they designed such a thing was for possible use on the Moon or Mars in the future. There will be no need to try and grow stuff in the Martian soil.

South Pole Growing Chamber

Old 07-11-2019, 06:33 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, wouldn't the total lack of any organic nutrients in Martian soil be a pretty big hindrance?

Old 07-16-2019, 12:50 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, wouldn't the total lack of any organic nutrients in Martian soil be a pretty big hindrance?
I'd think so. It'd certainly require a lot of resources to haul it there.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:30 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times
methane is organic carbon/hydrogen, water is hydrogen/oxygen, I do not think there is any lack of possibilities for growing different plant life on Mars.

They might have to process the fungi, lichen, or microorganisms before they are eaten, but I do not think any of that will be beyond science to sort out.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:18 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
As demonstrated in The Martian humans produce a lot of “night soil” that could and should be used.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:07 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
The biggest problem as I see it, is getting there in the first place !

Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Indeed, especially given that organic matter is, by definition, a component of soil. Really, the term 'Martian soil' is thus a misnomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space