Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 05:25 AM

7,257 posts, read 5,131,727 times

Advertisements

^^^Thanks for the ref...I didn't realize they had done that. That's an amazing bit of tech ability to put two satellites into stationary orbits exactly 250,000 miles + 60,000 km from Earth. I didn't think they had it in 'em. I wonder when they stole that bit of intellectual property from us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 08:08 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I didn't think they had it in 'em. I wonder when they stole that bit of intellectual property from us?
I'm just waiting for China to come out with their "knock off" of SpaceX's Falcon 9 launch vehicle and pretending like they invented the technology!

Old 07-25-2020, 10:48 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
^^^Thanks for the ref...I didn't realize they had done that. That's an amazing bit of tech ability to put two satellites into stationary orbits exactly 250,000 miles + 60,000 km from Earth. I didn't think they had it in 'em. I wonder when they stole that bit of intellectual property from us?
That kind of technology has been in use for over 50 years. Communication satellites in Earth orbit are how phone calls today can be made almost instantly without the need of a human switchboard operator and how news broadcasts can be made around the world in near real time. The Beatles performed "All You Need Is Love" live as part of the "Our World" first global TV program broadcast June 25, 1967.
Remembering the 'Our World' Global Broadcast 50 Years Later | Intelsat

Old 07-25-2020, 10:58 AM

7,257 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I'm just waiting for China to come out with their "knock off" of SpaceX's Falcon 9 launch vehicle and pretending like they invented the technology!
If you're old enough to remember the Cold War, The Russians had a habit of claiming priority on various different things, including Lapta Ball, supposedly their version of baseball pre-dating Alexander Cartwright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That kind of technology has been in use for over 50 years.]
Sure-- but putting a satellite in stationary orbit 25,00 miles out is child's play compared to 250,000 miles out, and in tandem, no less.

Old 07-25-2020, 11:50 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
A devious mind would have someone leak the plans for the SLS instead, then watch their program run out of money.

Old 07-25-2020, 01:51 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
A devious mind would have someone leak the plans for the SLS instead, then watch their program run out of money.
That would be funny!

I was thinking, maybe since SpaceX can only hire US citizens it might be hard for China to plant "moles" in the company, but then realized US citizens, like Alrich Ames and Robert Hanssen were double agents, so I guess China could easily pay off workers in SpaceX, if they wanted to get all their design specifics.

Does anybody remember the Buran, the Soviets/Russians space shuttle knock off.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:18 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:
Sure-- but putting a satellite in stationary orbit 25,00 miles out is child's play compared to 250,000 miles out, and in tandem, no less.
I didn't say it's easy, just that the use of relay satellites have been used to communicate more easily anywhere on the Earth for the last 50+ years. Regardless, that same technique was used to relay data and images from the backside of the moon, which is exactly what China did to communicate with their rover. Apparently China used one satellite called "Queqiao", although it could conceivably be done with two in opposite positions.

In the past, when astronauts went into orbit around the moon, radio communication was not possible while they were on backside of the moon. There were no communication relay satellites at the moon back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space