Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 09:40 AM

29,468 posts, read 22,480,143 times

Advertisements

They found something to do with water again, maybe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-anno...134037149.html

Quote:
NASA will announce an 'exciting' new discovery about the moon on Monday afternoon.

The contents on the announcement have been kept under wraps, but NASA have said it will “contribute to NASA’s efforts to learn about the Moon in support of deep space exploration”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 10:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,511,077 times
LOL, I dont understand why NASA keeps doing this...saying they have 'exciting new discoveries' and will hold a press conference soon? Its usually something only scientists consider 'exciting'...to the lay person, they are expecting to hear NASA say they found aliens living on the moon, or ancient structures...but its NEVER this kind of 'exciting news'. LOL

Old 10-28-2020, 04:58 PM

33,039 posts, read 26,260,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
LOL, I dont understand why NASA keeps doing this...saying they have 'exciting new discoveries' and will hold a press conference soon? Its usually something only scientists consider 'exciting'...to the lay person, they are expecting to hear NASA say they found aliens living on the moon, or ancient structures...but its NEVER this kind of 'exciting news'. LOL
I don't think the lay person is expecting to hear NASA say they found aliens living or doing anything else on the moon. I think most people are more realistic than that.

And personally, I think the discovery of water on the moon, and on the sunlit side at that, though it's not in liquid or solid form is exciting because it's a resource for future moon bases.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:09 PM

15,731 posts, read 6,438,968 times
Trying to scrape up that water is another matter.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:58 PM

10,975 posts, read 7,059,193 times
If this is the best NASA can do, they're obviously running on fumes. Sure bears no resemblance to the organization that had a real challenge, read adventure, and real exploration with going to the moon. This is just bland, armchair stuff by boring faceless bodies.

Old 10-29-2020, 08:54 AM

7,173 posts, read 5,026,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Trying to scrape up that water is another matter.
Exactly.

With H & O being two of the most abundant elements in the universe, and both highly reactive and stable when joined, I'd only be surprised it if they didn't find any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If this is the best NASA can do, they're obviously running on fumes. Sure bears no resemblance to the organization that had a real challenge, read adventure, and real exploration with going to the moon. This is just bland, armchair stuff by boring faceless bodies.
Please keep in mind that The Adventure of Exploration & Discovery was just the Public Justification for having a NASA...The real reason was to perfect rockery & ballistics for military purposes...Don't forget that only 25 yrs before we got to the Moon, the V2 was still an unreliable vehicle, little better than a kid's pop-bottle rocket. Nobody was any good at rocketry, and it wouldn't do to mount a 20MT H-Bomb on a fire cracker with a 75% successful launch rate.

The space efforts did give us huge advances in computer tech, materials science, communications and geo-positioning tech-- all of which could have been achieved without getting to the Moon. That was just done for publicity purposes, as is the new push to get to Mars. What a waste of money.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,466,527 times
I have to say that I agree with rstevens here. To the layperson, this isn’t exactly the most exciting news, though it’s worded in such a manner that it initially appears that it is. Nevertheless, I think it’s very fascinating.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:45 AM

10 posts, read 3,485 times
Why not consider this discovery "exciting"? For me, everything scientists find in space is exciting, even if it's water on Moon. However, maybe I'm too fascinated by space and all secrets it hides, who knows...

Old 03-04-2021, 02:05 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,466,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starship201 View Post
Why not consider this discovery "exciting"? For me, everything scientists find in space is exciting, even if it's water on Moon. However, maybe I'm too fascinated by space and all secrets it hides, who knows...
It’s fascinating to people interested in astronomy, but to those who associate space with franchises like Star Trek or Star Wars, it’s fairly inconsequential. The same goes for microbial life. What these people are interested in, is discovering sentient alien life. That would be the big game changer. I’m obviously in the same boat as you.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:16 AM

1,014 posts, read 475,279 times
I don't buy it. Water means there is condensation on the moon. An empty planet like the moon with condensation means that the moon takes on possible similar features as the earth. And at one point there may have been other life forms on the moon. Water there means life forms were there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space