Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 05:50 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan13 View Post
Space tourism will always only exist for the very, very wealthy. This is neither good nor bad for the rest of us. If such a hotel has enough clients, it can give a new good impetus to the development of space technology.
Not necessarily. The goal is to reduce coasts, paving the way for mass market space flights, though the timeframe involved to get these things up and running might be on the prohibitive side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 09:44 AM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The simulated gravity in one of these rotating space stations would feel exactly the same as the gravity on one of the planets. I say one of the planets because they might not choose to make it as strong as the gravity on Earth.
Call me a simpleton but if I were going to space one of the main reasons for going would be the lack of gravity.

Aside from that, assuming there will be windows, you will constantly see the scenery spinning. The amount of sick bags needed would be astronomical (keeping in mind this is targeted towards the "average joe" not a trained astronaut).

Old 03-19-2021, 10:11 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Call me a simpleton but if I were going to space one of the main reasons for going would be the lack of gravity.

Aside from that, assuming there will be windows, you will constantly see the scenery spinning. The amount of sick bags needed would be astronomical (keeping in mind this is targeted towards the "average joe" not a trained astronaut).
Lack of gravity is fine if you're only staying a few days, but for long duration the gravity would be essential.

The spinning would be something like one or two rotations per minute, chosen slow enough to not cause nausea.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:26 PM

19 posts, read 25,283 times
it would be better without the gravity
flying around could be so funny

Old 03-24-2021, 06:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Simulated gravity will work OK, but might be a little off-putting at first. But there's no way they could put something like that in orbit in 6 years.
There are options to keep something like that in orbit indefinitely. One is to periodically adjust the orbital position. That's done with space stations and communication satellites. Another option is to park in a Lagrange point. L4 and L5 are stable points. They could potentially be parked there indefinitely. They too would need to be able to adjust position to avoid a collision with an asteroid that might be on course with that position.
https://www.space.com/30302-lagrange-points.html

Old 03-25-2021, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 2,577 times
I wonder how often the trajectories of satellites will intersect with the trajectory of the hotel? Will adjust the trajectory of satellites when crossing? In theory, this should be easier. With new technologies

Old 03-26-2021, 07:57 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
There are options to keep something like that in orbit indefinitely. One is to periodically adjust the orbital position. That's done with space stations and communication satellites. Another option is to park in a Lagrange point. L4 and L5 are stable points. They could potentially be parked there indefinitely. They too would need to be able to adjust position to avoid a collision with an asteroid that might be on course with that position.
https://www.space.com/30302-lagrange-points.html
He was referring to 6 years construction time, not length of time in orbit.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:37 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
He was referring to 6 years construction time, not length of time in orbit.
Oops! Thanks. My mistake. I got kind of screwed up. It was meant as a reply to another poster.

Old 03-27-2021, 01:45 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Oops! Thanks. My mistake. I got kind of screwed up. It was meant as a reply to another poster.
Hey NightBazaar good to see back here. It’s been a while. Your posts are always very insightful.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:55 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Space tourism seems to be a hot topic for people to talk about. Too bad it's only for the ultra rich. Or blow your entire life savings on a trip.

Wonder how well this simulated gravity would work with this hotel design.

World's first space hotel scheduled to open in 2027
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/v...scn/index.html

It's like all things. Early adopters pay through the nose. Latecomers pay a fraction of the cost.

My brother bought a DVD player when it first came out. Cost him $2,500. About ten years later, I bought one for $28 at Best Buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space