Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 08:19 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
from The Guardian:
Quote:

The James Webb space telescope has detected what appear to be six massive ancient galaxies, which astronomers are calling “universe breakers” because their existence could upend current theories of cosmology.

The objects date to a time when the universe was just 3% of its current age and are far larger than was presumed possible for galaxies so early after the big bang. If confirmed, the findings would call into question scientists’ understanding of how the earliest galaxies formed.

“These objects are way more massive​ than anyone expected,” said Joel Leja, an assistant professor of astronomy and astrophysics at Penn State University and a study co-author. “We expected only to find tiny, young, baby galaxies at this point in time, but we’ve discovered galaxies as mature as our own in what was previously understood to be the dawn of the universe.”
read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...cient-galaxies
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
So, is the house of cards of assumptions about the "early universe" coming down with the direct observations made with JWST?

Decades of assumptions made on top of assumptions, made on top of other assumptions, made on top of more assumptions are not resisting to the reality test of direct observation.
Here's a question to ponder; if the universe is both all there is, and is expanding post-the Big Bang, what do we call the area outside of the universe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
We can only go back as far as the Big Bang. The biggest misconception that the general public has about the Big Bang, is that it marks the origin point of the universe, when in reality it simply says that the universe was hotter and denser in the past.

I personally love the idea of eternal inflation, which suggests that our universe is one of many, as there are new “Big Bangs” happening all the time, though they are not causally connected to us. Theoretical physicist Alan Guth is one of the proponents of that hypothesis.
If we don't know the origin of the Big Bang, how is it different from B'Raisheet (phonetic)/Shemot (sp)?

Old 03-13-2023, 01:04 PM

15,845 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
If we don't know the origin of the Big Bang, how is it different from B'Raisheet (phonetic)/Shemot (sp)?
It isn't. We can come up with various scientific scenarios to explain the origin, but until we can actually make measurements of such an event it's more philosophy than science.

Old 03-13-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It isn't. We can come up with various scientific scenarios to explain the origin, but until we can actually make measurements of such an event it's more philosophy than science.
That is kind of what I thought, and I may start a thread on this. The Vikings, various American Indian tribes and of course the Jews have shockingly similar origin stories. I would start it now but I have my summary of the Norse sagas at home and I am at work. What science is better at is tracing the post-creation (or Big Bang) development of the world.

Old 03-13-2023, 06:34 PM

1,063 posts, read 909,691 times
Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.
—Werner Heisenberg

of course,
he was not the first
to say something similar to that.

Old 03-16-2023, 06:33 AM

7,261 posts, read 5,139,849 times
Quote:

Change that "phiosophy" to "fantasy" and you're more accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
Not only is the Universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think.
—Werner Heisenberg

Exactly.

Often over-looked--As the Uhiverse supposedly "expands," it isn't expanding into empty space--Space-time itself is expanding.

Old 03-16-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
That is kind of what I thought, and I may start a thread on this. The Vikings, various American Indian tribes and of course the Jews have shockingly similar origin stories. I would start it now but I have my summary of the Norse sagas at home and I am at work. What science is better at is tracing the post-creation (or Big Bang) development of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Exactly.

Often over-looked--As the Uhiverse supposedly "expands," it isn't expanding into empty space--Space-time itself is expanding.
These issues are all discussed in Diverse Creation Stories (hint they are all unsatisfactory for same reason). The "scientific" rendition is, of course, the currently fashionable "big bang" theory. This is explained, in a University of Michigan website (link):
Quote:
Originally Posted by University of Michigan website
One of the most persistently asked questions has been: How was the universe created? Many once believed that the universe had no beginning or end and was truly infinite. Through the inception of the Big Bang theory, however,no longer could the universe be considered infinite. The universe was forced to take on the properties of a finite phenomenon, possessing a history and a beginning.
About 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. This explosion is known as the Big Bang. At the point of this event all of the matter and energy of space was contained at one point. What exisisted (sic) prior to this event is completely unknown and is a matter of pure speculation. This occurance (sic) was not a conventional explosion but rather an event filling all of space with all of the particles of the embryonic universe rushing away from each other. The Big Bang actually consisted of an explosion of space within itself unlike an explosion of a bomb were fragments are thrown outward. The galaxies were not all clumped together, but rather the Big Bang lay the foundations for the universe.

The origin of the Big Bang theory can be credited to Edwin Hubble. Hubble made the observation that the universe is continuously expanding. He discovered that a galaxys (sic) velocity is proportional to its distance. Galaxies that are twice as far from us move twice as fast. Another consequence is that the universe is expanding in every direction. This observation means that it has taken every galaxy the same amount of time to move from a common starting position to its current position. Just as the Big Bang provided for the foundation of the universe, Hubbles (sic) observations provided for the foundation of the Big Bang theory.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Here's a question to ponder; if the universe is both all there is, and is expanding post-the Big Bang, what do we call the area outside of the universe?
How do you define "outside" if the Universe is infinite?

Old 03-16-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Prove it.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
How do you define "outside" if the Universe is infinite?
Exactly my point. Is the universe all there is or isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space