Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,205 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here have a setup to watch free-to-air satellite tv? I have a satellite, but I'm not sure what type of receiver I need to purchase. I know NASA and all kinds of random networks over the world broadcast some stuff unencrypted. I believe this is more popular in Europe than the US unfortunately for those of us in the states. I know those lucky Germans get tons of free satellite channels.

In my area I am lucky to receive 3 channels via antenna and those are typically snowy. I've seen what DTV does to a rather weak signal so I'm expecting to be SOL on TV soon.

Anyone have a particular brand of receiver they have had good experience with, favorite satellites to point at, etc? The TV I'm used to watching is PBS and ABC and if I'm really lucky I get NBC so I'm not terribly picky on viewing material. I was hoping to maybe catch some stuff coming out Europe, but I realize that is highly unlikely.
Some of the Galaxy and AMC's seem like nice ones to point at. Anyone got some info?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Here are some links that should help.

Free to air channels: www.ftalist.com
Dish pointing: www.dishpointer.com
Satellite info: www.lyngsat.com
FTA Installations: www.ftainstall.com

Old 01-12-2009, 06:06 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
If you followed the links, you probably saw there's not really much worth watching on FTA; its mostly foreign language programming.

Dish Network now has packages in the $10-$20/mo range. The $10/mo package is not advertised, but its called the "welcome pack" and its not an introductory offer. It has more worth watching than FTA.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
If you followed the links, you probably saw there's not really much worth watching on FTA; its mostly foreign language programming.

Dish Network now has packages in the $10-$20/mo range. The $10/mo package is not advertised, but its called the "welcome pack" and its not an introductory offer. It has more worth watching than FTA.
I like weird things like foreign programming (Especially the kind I can understand). My drive behind getting FTA is that I receive poor reception with my antennas and I don't want to pay for cable or satellite TV. I already pay for cable internet and there is no way I'm giving that up. Its not purely a need for channels. I just think it would be a neat hobby in general.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:19 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,086,339 times
There are actually a ton of FTA dealers on the net (mainly because for awhile people were hacking FTA boxes to get Dish Network). One that I've used is sadoun.com but you can also find out a lot more about getting into this hobby at:

Free To Air (FTA) Discussion - SatelliteGuys.US

There are hundreds, thousands of channels 'out there' but you would probably need to get a 'motorized' dish so you can flip back and forth between the different satellites. Of course a good southern view is essential.

Most of it is not in English, in fact you'll probably only find about a dozen or two 'non-religious' English-language channels.

You might also want to check out this computer program. It lets you legally watch a number of International channels such as France 24 and Russia Today:

Livestation | Watch instant, interactive, live TV on your desktop | Download the free Livestation player

Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 AM

4 posts, read 20,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I like weird things like foreign programming (Especially the kind I can understand). My drive behind getting FTA is that I receive poor reception with my antennas and I don't want to pay for cable or satellite TV. I already pay for cable internet and there is no way I'm giving that up. Its not purely a need for channels. I just think it would be a neat hobby in general.

I've got a basic setup, but I really love it. Yeah, there are a lot of limitations, but it's a fun hobby. I really like Galaxy 18 for a lot of English stations. (plenty of spanish too). Currently I'm pointed at AMC4. Eventually I plan to get a motor so I don't have to go repoint every time I want to watch a different satellite.

Oh yeah... No monthly fee for the progamming either and it is entirely free and legal.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lownote2 View Post
I've got a basic setup, but I really love it. Yeah, there are a lot of limitations, but it's a fun hobby. I really like Galaxy 18 for a lot of English stations. (plenty of spanish too). Currently I'm pointed at AMC4. Eventually I plan to get a motor so I don't have to go repoint every time I want to watch a different satellite.

Oh yeah... No monthly fee for the progamming either and it is entirely free and legal.
What type receiver are you useing?I have a working C band dish,not connected now due to move,does not have KU LNB.Receiver is GI 450i. I have wondered about connecting it since anolog will be dead and replacing with digital or upgrading to digital??I used to keep Weather and CNN on line for hurricane season since dish does not work in inclement weather.I haven't figured out how to point dish.Moved just 20 miles and kept dish setting's intact,thought it would be easy to reset at this location but didn't have any success,if I remember 250 on compass but no luck.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
What type receiver are you useing?I have a working C band dish,not connected now due to move,does not have KU LNB.Receiver is GI 450i. I have wondered about connecting it since anolog will be dead and replacing with digital or upgrading to digital??I used to keep Weather and CNN on line for hurricane season since dish does not work in inclement weather.I haven't figured out how to point dish.Moved just 20 miles and kept dish setting's intact,thought it would be easy to reset at this location but didn't have any success,if I remember 250 on compass but no luck.
I have a Coolsat 6000 premium which is a bit older now, but there are still a lot of them out there to be had and they are relatively inexpensive.

I'd love to have a C-band satellite, but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it. There's quite a bit of stuff on c-band still. Coolsat, Viewsat, Sonicview and many others make great receivers for both ku and c band. There are some high def fta receivers on the market but I don't know much about them. From what I understand there's more HD on C-band than Ku right now anyway.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownote2 View Post
I have a Coolsat 6000 premium which is a bit older now, but there are still a lot of them out there to be had and they are relatively inexpensive.

I'd love to have a C-band satellite, but I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it. There's quite a bit of stuff on c-band still. Coolsat, Viewsat, Sonicview and many others make great receivers for both ku and c band. There are some high def fta receivers on the market but I don't know much about them. From what I understand there's more HD on C-band than Ku right now anyway.
How do you like your Coolsat? Can it do blindscan/smartscan or whatever they are called?

Old 01-20-2009, 01:49 PM

I love my coolsat... and yes, it does a blind scan and does a really good job too. But it's a 6000. Most of their models have a blind scan, but there is a new one, (8100 or 8000? not sure) that doesn't have a blind scan.
If you know what you're doing you can manually scan anyway if you know the frequency and polarization. That can be found on the web from sites like lyngsat and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space