Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 AM

19 posts, read 37,155 times

Advertisements

The theory I've come to adopt is that things just have a chance of randomly popping into existence. I'm not sure what the proper name is called... I believe its related to singularity theory or some such.

Even if the probability is extremely low, and even if the item that is normally created is a single quark or some such; over a long enough period of time, even something as complex as a chair can pop in... and longer still, something like the universe could pop into existence as well.

Not very scientific, but the idea is relatively simple; I'm simply moving the properties of creation from an sentient being to nothingness, chance and the power of eternity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 05:38 PM

23,513 posts, read 69,899,087 times
Having worked in movie theatres, I can assure you that extra chairs don't pop in. If anything, customers from hell pop in looking for chairs when there are none available.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,591,983 times
Parallel Universes

It’s possible a singularity isn’t necessary in order to create a universe. There are some views about this possibility in relation to parallel universes, multiple universes, and bubble universes.

Here’s an interesting video that offers a brief look at one possibility (Brane Theory) of what might have happened before the Big Bang, and how it may have caused the Big Bang to happen.

(Please click the link below to view the clip directly at YouTube.)

YouTube - Before the Big Bang: looking back in time - Parallel Universes - BBC science

This video primarily deals with explaining the expansion of the universe, but it does contain another view of Pre-Big Bang conditions, shown near the beginning of the clip.

YouTube - Universe

Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,096,571 times
I saw an article where they were going to try to find other universes under the idea that the Universe contains many "bubbles" of universes like ours. They want to find evidence that there may be other universes interacting with ours. I'll see if I can find the article.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:32 PM

905 posts, read 2,390,911 times
Very interesting stuff! I don't know if we will ever be able to explain everything though, I don't think our minds are advanced enough.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:52 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I saw an article where they were going to try to find other universes under the idea that the Universe contains many "bubbles" of universes like ours. They want to find evidence that there may be other universes interacting with ours. I'll see if I can find the article.
Their is also a brane theory very similiar to the bubble scenario. In this theory there are multiple branes, like the surface of a bubble, which vibrate or undulate. Whenever two of these branes touch a new universe is born i.e. another Big Bang, so it implies that there were and are an infinite amount of universes and they are continually created.It has a lot to do with extra dimensions(like string theory)....but the math is beyond me, I like discussing theory and it's implications. I can comprehend some of that...lol...

Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 AM

499 posts, read 1,524,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Entropy View Post
Admittedly, I initially became interested in this after reading an origins story on Galactus
Hey! Don't feel bad......I got intersted in cosmology by reading Marvel Comics as a boy.

That and finding a copy of The Creation of The Universe by George Gamow back in my elementary school library.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,117,392 times
God is always brought up in this, but here is an interesting little thought.

What happens to a being that has no real degradation or measure of the dimension we call "time".

Our chemistry proceeds from the events before them, but what happens if you ARE the Alpha and Omega? What about some of these weird particles that seem to ignore things like matter (Tachyons) and other things? What if now, yesterday, and 1,000,000 years from now are all the same to "him", akin to here, next door, and Paraguay?

Second, who is to say our universe is NOT infinitely dense by some other measure? You can go as far as Dr Seuss and Horton Hears a Who to picture that we may just be a single particle in another larger universe, the way we have found that every time we thing we have found the smallest thing out there, we find something smaller.

By the same vein, what if our perception of dimension is flawed in that we are our oen smallest particles as much as they comprise us? The loop theory. We go out past the dark matter at teh fringes of the universe only to find that we are one small particle in a larger cell, that makes up a piece of larger matter, that turns out to be part of a planet that is still witin our own galaxy?

Our understanding of the start and end is extremely biased by our own selective perception of 3 dimensions, time, and the electormagnetic spectrum. The same way we have made God an old white man with a beard, we may have made the universe into a bunch of matter that miraculously came to be with a huge explosion at the beginning of what WE would call "time".

My head hurts.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,435,561 times
Here's an interesting movie about the subject.....
YouTube - Parallel Universes [3/5] Great information.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:48 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,623,386 times
Just my own theory, but maybe there was no universe or maybe it was one huge ice comet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space