U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 03:54 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,073,057 times

Advertisements

Space.com : Can You Time-Travel?

Space.com : How To Time-Travel: pt. 2 of Can You Time Travel?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:25 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,655,114 times
The way they're explaining it, it's not exactly time travel if you go to the past of some other identical universe. You've only traveled into another universe. The idea of time lines is that time branches off into other time lines. The problem again is that entering a different time line is not your own time line. The question is could you follow a time line of your past? If you can, then would that create an infinite loop in the space-time continuum? That is, if you can go into your past, would that event trigger an infinite number of you also going back into the exact same past. Kind of like looking at yourself in a mirror with another mirror behind you. You'd see an endless number of you. That could get pretty crowded very quickly.

With regard to the wormhole scenario, it would depend on whether wormholes are only exist within a space-time universe, or whether there could be wormholes connecting universes. If in there are wormhole that connect points within our universe, then all it means is a shortcut between Point A and Point B. Time would not change at Point A or Point B. Time would only change with regard to the travel time. Such travel could be a bit confusing though.

Let's say you travel to a galaxy 1 billion years away. And using a wormhole it only takes one hour to get there. Here at home we are seeing what was there a billion years ago. By the time we get there, it would probably be in a completely different location, or might not even exist anymore. Regardless, let's imagine it does exist. We'd find it to be very different than the way we saw it back home, but we'd be in its future.

So we hop back in the wormhole to go back home. Again travel time through the wormhole is only one hour. The time back home would be only be a few hours older, travel time to and from the hole and round-trip through it. We would not have traveled back in time to go home because time back home is still pretty much as when you left, except for the difference in travel time. In a way it sort of like time travel, but it's not exactly the same thing as time travel. When you leave, you don't leave another you behind, nor do you find another you when you get back. It wouldn't be any different than taking a 3-hour (or whatever) drive.

Apart from some kind of exotic time lines, or multiple universes with identical copies of you, I don't see how you could travel to the past. Even if you go to another time line or parallel universe, there might be an identical copy of you there, but it still isn't you. So really, you can't travel around back and forth in time. All you can do is shorten the amount of time it takes to get from one point to another point.

The only was I can see around such barriers is at the quantum level such as something like quantum entanglement. But even then I still don't think that would be time travel in its truest sense. I think the vids concluded it well. No matter where you go, you're still going to be you.

Is there something I'm missing?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,073,057 times
No, I think you said it pretty well. I introduced the vids for your pleasure and vexation!!

Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 8,655,114 times
Thank you. I'm vexed! I'm vexed! I greatly appreciate the kind gesture.

Actually, I'm pretty fascinated by such subjects, but I don't think anything like time travel will be likely for subjects as large as a person any time soon, if ever. We might find a way to sort of manipulate things or find some kind of shortcuts that resemble time travel, but time travel in the classic sense probably isn't likely. We may be able to speed things up to make a run to the future, but I strongly suspect it would be a one-way trip. Regardless, there are plenty of surprises that pop up all the time, so who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space