Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

Wow...who knew this debate could get so heated...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Question someone's religion and all hell breaks loose as they say.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Religion? I thought we were talking about the moon! Lol...

Seriously, amazing.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Religion? I thought we were talking about the moon! Lol...

Seriously, amazing.
Yeah I know, it is crazy. Maybe I should open the thread on informational water since there is no water on the moon ???

Hmmmmmmmm

Well there may well be there is that one spot where Neil Armstrong took a leak behind that moon boulder away from the camera.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
First of all, let's calm down ok ? Science forum should be a place to discuss facts, or simply discuss, instead of arguing as it is in most other forums
Now personally I'm a very skeptical person, but I've noticed that during full moon, mods have more work Yeah, sounds silly in a way, but it's true - there are several topics about it in the mod forum, and while we don't treat this as seriously as maybe we should, it's a fact we're getting more fights, insults and personal attacks during a full moon. And it's not like a 5% increase, it's closer to 40%.
I've also heard about emergency rooms treating significantly more injuries on a full moon, but this sounds anecdotal at best and I haven't seen any trustworthy data.
Yac.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
Quote:
Cold Fusion.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:16 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
First of all, let's calm down ok ? Science forum should be a place to discuss facts, or simply discuss, instead of arguing as it is in most other forums
Now personally I'm a very skeptical person, but I've noticed that during full moon, mods have more work Yeah, sounds silly in a way, but it's true - there are several topics about it in the mod forum, and while we don't treat this as seriously as maybe we should, it's a fact we're getting more fights, insults and personal attacks during a full moon. And it's not like a 5% increase, it's closer to 40%.
I've also heard about emergency rooms treating significantly more injuries on a full moon, but this sounds anecdotal at best and I haven't seen any trustworthy data.
Yac.
Guys, read the article I posted, please?

It seems that people on this forum (CD in general) seem less motivated to site external (reputable) sources, quote articles, or even read what someone else links. They do not really want to LEARN about the moon and its cycles, but rather they want to hear someone agree with them about it (or whatever else they are posting about).

As for people being more active when there is a full moon, when someone is aware there is a full moon. When they see that there is more light at night, they have a tendency to behave differently. Partially because it is lighter out, but also because of their own preconceptions of the Full Moon myth.

So if we are a culture that believes in jinxes and other completely unrelated mythical influences, when a bunch of people start believing that the Moon effects your behavior, they will let that IDEA effect their behavior and act accordingly.

THAT has been proven, that the views and belifs of another group of people can influence those around them both passively and actively. SO if you believe that the moon will effect your behavior, sure as shooting you will behave differently when you know it is a full moon (conciously or subconciously).

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,840,568 times
Well, that was cool. I saw the shuttle and right behind it was the space station. They both went directly overhead.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
The idea that a full moon cause lunacy and werewolves has been around for centuries. In fact, that is where the word lunacy (and lunatic) comes from (the Latin word luna, which means moon).

Now, the reason why science does not look into this matter is simple; the idea that people go crazy or that weird stuff happens more often during a full moon is psychological, not scientific. If you believe, or at least think, that a full moon causes strange behavior then you will see it. Simply put, you see what you believe.

Personally, I do not believe that a full moon causes anything except for more nightly illumination, so I see just a many whack-jobs and bizarre behavior on any given day of the month regardless of the Moon's luminosity status. The main reason for this is that the Moon is no different when 'full' as it is during any other portion of it's cycle. It's mass remains the same. It is not closer nor further away. Nothing*. The physical properties of the Moon are the same when it is full as they are when it is waxing or waning.

*The gravitational effects of the Moon are slightly stronger during a full moon, hence the spring tides. But spring tides also happen during a new moon, when the gravitational effects become even greater since the Moon is aligned with the Sun on the same side. So if it was a matter of gravitational pull, then things would get even whackier during a new moon since the gravitational effects of both the Sun and Moon act in concerto and are stronger. But nothing strange occurs during a new moon, now does it. Didn't think so.

Last edited by K-Luv; 07-28-2009 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Didn't need to capitalize spring.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
Well, that was cool. I saw the shuttle and right behind it was the space station. They both went directly overhead.
No that was the doctor and nurse that came during the night to give you your calming medication, it just appeared that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space