Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...IR_Spitzer.jpg

I mean, of all this billions of stars which most likely many of them have planets circling around them. Why would there not be other lifeforms out there. It is absurd to think that way, too me.
And this is just in our galaxy alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 08:20 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,838,690 times
Yes, I would put the likelihood of some form of life at 99.99999999999% Intelligent life at a lower level, but I'm sure it exist. I very positive about finding microbes on Mars and also on some of the moons of Jupiter.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:23 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post

I mean, of all this billions of stars which most likely many of them have planets circling around them. Why would there not be other lifeforms out there. It is absurd to think that way, too me.
Agree I actually think it is arrogance that leads some to believe that "we" are the only life, or intelligent life amongst an uncountable number of planets. The real question is, would an intelligent life form that visited us, view us as intelligent, or merely as an bunch of waring insects and watch with the curiosity we watch a National Geographic show on red ants and black ants fighting.

Nor is it in the bible, thus the possibility does not exist

Old 07-27-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Agree I actually think it is arrogance that leads some to believe that "we" are the only life, or intelligent life amongst an uncountable number of planets. The real question is, would an intelligent life form that visited us, view us as intelligent, or merely as an bunch of waring insects and watch with the curiosity we watch a National Geographic show on red ants and black ants fighting.

I think about that too. I thinking that another planet, similar to earth is out there and the life on that planet just starting, to later on develop to be similar to ours.
Or maybe they are way more advances then ours. Where the "people" for lack of better words, have what we would call super brains. And they have figured out how to travel at the speed of light or faster. That would be the only possibility for them to visit other solar systems.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,635,320 times
Quote:

I don't think it's so much that there are no other life forms out there. It's more a matter that we just don't know what else is out there. All we really know for sure is that there's life here on Earth. I suspect there is plenty of life around the galaxy, maybe in our own solar system. The most abundant lifeforms would probably be microbial. Complex lifeforms less common, and intelligent lifeforms rare.

There could be hundreds of thousands of planets around the galaxy with intelligent life, perhaps some far more advanced than we are. But when you compare the odds to billions of stars, then hundreds of thousands seems fairly sparse. It may also be that intelligent life forms may be extremely distant from us. For all we know, they could be on the opposite side of the galaxy from us, and we're at the other end out in the boonies with nearly no one around. Again, we just don't know.

As for our solar system, I'd be very surprised to find any complex lifeforms on the other planets or moons. A few (very few) moons around Jupiter and Saturn might have oceans beneath incredibly thick layers of ice. but again, if there's life there (and it's a very big IF) then it's probably microbial or very small creatures or plants. Mars is still a possibility for microbial life, even small plant life, under the surface. So the search continues. If we find any microbial life elsewhere in our solar system, that would certainly raise the prospects of higher lifeforms elsewhere in the galaxy.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 PM

720 posts, read 705,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

You think God is going to tell you everything??

Old 07-28-2009, 02:50 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,397,853 times
I'd have to side with what Steven Hawking's had to say on the subject.
Quote:
"Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare," he then quickly added: "Some would say it has yet to occur on earth."
Of course the conspiracy gang did'nt like this. Look what popped up at clubconspiracy.com
Quote:

Some people believe this man to know a lot more then he lets on. Possibly the worlds most intelligent scientist, but why does he choose to withdraw contribution when discussion possibilty of Extra terrestrial life or another planet. Steven Hawkings, "A legend" In the name of young scientists surely must know something we dont, possibly he may have helped the government.

What do you think? Post your concerns or arguments below...
Yeah, you betcha!!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
There is if there even is a God the way you know it.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:53 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,304 times
Its a very funny thing this believing in other life outside our own. Usually these same people look at the belief in a superior being as an absurdity simply because there is no tangible evidence for such a belief. At the same time they expect other people to follow in their own, completely faith based belief.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post
That was a little tongue-in-cheek jab at the very closed minded folks that don't believe anything that ain't in the bible, such as fossils, and believe that the earth is only 6,000 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space