Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

Basically Fire or Ice...Do you feel our Universe will continue expanding forever......untill all energy is so dispersed that there is no to slim chance of ANY species surviving. Or do you feel that the expansion will slow and then stop; eventually reverse as we blue shift back to a point of incredible density, pressure and temperature....another "Big Bang"? Current observations support the former question; but I feel in my gut that we will contract and repeat a sequence of "Bangs". Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,839,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Basically Fire or Ice...Do you feel our Universe will continue expanding forever......untill all energy is so dispersed that there is no to slim chance of ANY species surviving. Or do you feel that the expansion will slow and then stop; eventually reverse as we blue shift back to a point of incredible density, pressure and temperature....another "Big Bang"? Current observations support the former question; but I feel in my gut that we will contract and repeat a sequence of "Bangs". Your thoughts?
I tend to think the latter will prevail but either way, it will be so far in the future that we will probably never know the answer.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Obviously, no one knows, but there are loads of possible scenarios. The two most commonly considered are the ones you mentioned - the Big Freeze or the Big Crunch. I'd lean more toward the Big Freeze, that it will continue expanding until everything ultimately runs out of energy and the last particle finally winks out of existence. I just find it hard to imagine it goes through an endless series of expansion and contractions like it was made of rubber.

While it might come to an end, that doesn't necessarily mean the end of everything. It depends on what the universe really is. Is it completely independent? Is it a bubble universe? Is it part of a much larger mega-universe, much in the same way as galaxies but on a larger scale?

Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Obviously, no one knows, but there are loads of possible scenarios. The two most commonly considered are the ones you mentioned - the Big Freeze or the Big Crunch. I'd lean more toward the Big Freeze, that it will continue expanding until everything ultimately runs out of energy and the last particle finally winks out of existence. I just find it hard to imagine it goes through an endless series of expansion and contractions like it was made of rubber.

While it might come to an end, that doesn't necessarily mean the end of everything. It depends on what the universe really is. Is it completely independent? Is it a bubble universe? Is it part of a much larger mega-universe, much in the same way as galaxies but on a larger scale?
I think we are almost certainly part of a Multiverse; so some form of life will probably continue to evolve, one way or another. The expansion scenario has been extrapolated out to about 10 to the one hundredth power....sad way to "end" it all, that's why I prefer the Big Bounce. However, as said this is contrary to current observations, I like to think of the Universe as being alive and the "cycles" of expansion and contractions as it's heartbeat. Spacetime is very similiar to rubber in that it can be warped/stretched by mass/gravity....the fabric of spacetime for instance....this is the best analogy we currently possess. Rubber would describe it even better than fabric, but does not sound good...hence the fabric of spacetime.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
If we all follow nmweathermans advice - we will never know.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If we all follow nmweathermans advice - we will never know.
GOOD shot!!!! And he is on a computer complaining about technology.....too bad we cannot take away rep. points too.....LOL.....

Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I noticed Yac closed the NASA thread. Too bad, it was actually starting to generate some very good information. I tried to get reasonable and draw out weatherman, but got nothing. Perhaps it's time time for a real discussion like gy2020 just started.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I think we might just run out of time.

Consider the observation that the universe seems to be expanding at an ever-increasing rate. Dark matter, giant tortoises, and other reasons have been cited. Perhaps the real situation is that it APPEARS to be expanding because time is slowing or thinning as the universe expands.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I think we might just run out of time.

Consider the observation that the universe seems to be expanding at an ever-increasing rate. Dark matter, giant tortoises, and other reasons have been cited. Perhaps the real situation is that it APPEARS to be expanding because time is slowing or thinning as the universe expands.
Could be that we are missing the true nature of time and since spacetime is inseparable from space or time than any dilation of time may be perceived incorrectly with current observational methods.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,636,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Perhaps the real situation is that it APPEARS to be expanding because time is slowing or thinning as the universe expands.

More likely time would APPEAR to be slowing because of the expansion. It takes a longer time to see things far away because it takes longer for the light to reach us. On a local scale though, time remains pretty much the same.

The logical thing is that it would seem as the universe expands it should do so at increasingly slower rates. However, that's not what has been found. Objects at vast distances of about 5 billion light years and greater away are not slowing down but appear to be mysteriously moving away at an even faster rate.

The culprit suspected in this mystery is Dark Energy. Dark Energy may be a property of space we don't fully understand. But it may be a repelling force to Dark Matter. Dark Matter is finite in quantity and clumps together. As the universe gets larger, Dark Matter along with other matter grows farther apart. Meanwhile, Dark Energy doesn't clump up and remains constant as a property of space itself.

From the beginning of the universe until about 5 billion years ago, Dark Matter and Dark Energy pretty much kept each other in check. The influence of Dark Energy really didn't matter much because it was too weak. But as the universe continued expanding things began to change around 5 billion years ago because Dark Matter was limited in its amount, thus its influence lessened as Dark Energy's influence remained the same.

The exact reason why Dark Energy may be causing the universe to expand at a more rapid rate rather that slowing down is unknown. But it's probably because as the universe continues to expand there's more space in it. And if Dark Energy is a property of space, then it also means there is more Dark Energy in space.

The ultimate fate of the universe is also unknown. It might reach a certain point and collapse in on itself. If that happens galaxies will get closer and closer together as the universe shrinks, and it'll make things pretty toasty.

If the universe just keep expanding, it will eventually fade away, everything becomes cold at the temperature of absolute zero and everything, all matter, all atoms stop and degrade until there's nothing left. My guess is that it will continue to expand. No need to worry though. That won't happen for another 1 google years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space