Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 12:42 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
OMG...1984 is a fantastic book, a classic. Make sure to read Animal Farm; another Orwell classic.
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but also find We. The best translation is published by Penguin Classics. It predated 1984 and Brave New World and is cited as an inspiration to 1984 by Orwell himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM

964 posts, read 2,647,795 times
I can't believe no one wrote Mr. Spock.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:46 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
Well my fave was always Electro from the Spiderman comics as he could shoot electricity from his hands to either shock or kill his enemies

Old 01-28-2011, 07:45 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,791,652 times
The entire crew of Serenity (Firefly). And don't make me pick just one! OK, OK, I'll go with Wash over Mal, but just barely.

It's astounding to me that 8 years after it was canceled, this show still has a fanatical following. If you've never watched the show, do yourself a favor and borrow the DVD from someone.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but also find We. The best translation is published by Penguin Classics. It predated 1984 and Brave New World and is cited as an inspiration to 1984 by Orwell himself.
It's fine......I actually thankyou...new members may have missed some of the forum's older but goodie threads......check out the favorite spaceship thread....that gets really interesting.

I never heard of that....I'll research some and take a look....thanx!

I take it this is the novel you are referring to?????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel)

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...-starship.html

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 01-30-2011 at 05:09 PM..

Old 01-30-2011, 06:19 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
It's fine......I actually thankyou...new members may have missed some of the forum's older but goodie threads......check out the favorite spaceship thread....that gets really interesting.

I never heard of that....I'll research some and take a look....thanx!

I take it this is the novel you are referring to?????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_(novel)

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...-starship.html
Nothing showed up in your link. But look for this edition. It was translated from the corrected Russian manuscript published many years later in Russia after it had been banned for decades. The others are translated from an earlier translation into French

Amazon.com: We (9780140185850): Yevgeny Zamyatin, Clarence Brown: Books

I think I did post in that thread, and of course stood up for the Defiant, the little ship that could. I knew there were fandom oritented threads somewhere on this board

Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Nothing showed up in your link. But look for this edition. It was translated from the corrected Russian manuscript published many years later in Russia after it had been banned for decades. The others are translated from an earlier translation into French

Amazon.com: We (9780140185850): Yevgeny Zamyatin, Clarence Brown: Books

I think I did post in that thread, and of course stood up for the Defiant, the little ship that could. I knew there were fandom oritented threads somewhere on this board
I checked...the link is working now......and thanx for the additional link...

The Defiant......small but mighty...I guess you did see that thread....How about this one>>>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...ion-robot.html .

Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM

174 posts, read 540,917 times
Quote:
I've been getting into Doctor Who as of late....so I gotta mention....."THE DOCTOR".....LOL.....
Doctor Who - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BBC - Doctor Who - The Official Site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUld2qcyNpw
Definately the doctor! And none of the doctors was greater than Tom Baker, although I do like Christopher Eccleston's Doctor among those in the new series (I've yet to see the newest and youngest one.)

...and Kai, Last of the Brunnen-G from Lexx, although Stanley Tweedle and 790 were always good for a laugh!

I've always been into post-apocalyptic Sci-fi and time travel sci-fi (mostly reading for both.) Poul Anderson has written a lot of both. I also like sci-fi which traces the "cultural" routes humans are yet to take (language, architecture, phenotype etc) especially as the far flung planets humans colonize become isolated and develop on their own.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
I gotta go with Patrick Stewart's Captain Picard from Star Trek, probably followed by Stargate's Samantha Carter (sans the hokey "Brit." accent in Sanctuary), Professor Quatermass from the Quatermass movies, and Arnie's "Conan the Barbarian" (though not technically "sci-fi").

Agreed, Tom Baker's the coolest of the "traditional" Doctor Who series, though I love the Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant versions in the modern series "re-boot" by Russell T Davies.

BTW, for some reason I really can't stand to watch much of the new Matt Smith version of the "Doctor". Probably partly because Smith is simply too young-looking (and lacking in "gravitas") to be a convincing 900 year old "Time Lord". And also because even though all the old hi-production values are still there (orchestral sound track, great special effects, etc.), Steven Moffat's scripts and handling seem more like Science "Fantasy" than Science Fiction, so the whole thing just feels kinda silly now. IMO, it seemed to work much better when Moffat and Davies collaborated and balanced out each other's styles a bit. Although to be fair, R.T.D.'s "Doctor" was maybe starting to get just a little too "messianic" there towards the end (and how do you top Saving the Whole Universe every week)?!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Quote:
My favorite character is "Lorien", from Babylon 5 (a "television novel" five years long). He is the sole survivor of his race, which preceded all other intelligent life in our galaxy. His race guided all subsequent civilizations along in technology , politics, ethics etc.

I don't think Lorien was a sole survivor. I think we was suppose to just hang out until Sheridan showed up and have that little heart to heart with him. Then later on he was suppose to take Sheridan to the outer rim. If I remember correctly.

As for my choice(s). I'm rather boring/unoriginal/commercial. I always liked Magneto. The concept of being able to control one of the most powerful forces in the universe always appealed to me.
Also I very much like the characters of The High Evolutionary and Mr. Sinister. That's quest was to evolve/improve the human race and/or create new/better humanoid races using genetics. Though both of those characters were portrayed as psychologically unstable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space