U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 PM

15,397 posts, read 20,446,854 times

Advertisements

Pretty much self explanatory; however this is a significant find implying water flowed on Mars for a longer period of time than we thought and that it's oceans did not evaporate as long ago as we first had thought.

Making the probability of life higher and possibly easier to ascertain.
Mars Orbiter Finds There Was Liquid Water on Mars An Eon Later Than Previously Thought | Popular Science
Is There Water on Mars? | News Videos | Comcast.net
Mars orbiter detects hidden glaciers on red planet | Science | guardian.co.uk
Spaceflight Now | Breaking News | Mars orbiter imagery boosts Curiosity rover's life search .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 10:53 PM

5,460 posts, read 8,633,700 times
I read about that, a week ago or so, I think. It's an interesting determination. The channel is good indicator of water moving from one spot to another. Instead of 4 billion years ago, it's thought it was more like 3.2 billion years ago. That's still a mind-bogglingly long time ago. The comments are pretty humorous.

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was life on Mars in it's distant past, maybe even now. The question is what kind? It's hard to imagine anything more complex than bacteria could have had time to develop. It would still be interesting and an extremely important discovery.

But, hey, you never know what might be lurking on the Red Planet.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 PM

15,397 posts, read 20,446,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I read about that, a week ago or so, I think. It's an interesting determination. The channel is good indicator of water moving from one spot to another. Instead of 4 billion years ago, it's thought it was more like 3.2 billion years ago. That's still a mind-bogglingly long time ago. The comments are pretty humorous.

While I wouldn't be surprised if there was life on Mars in it's distant past, maybe even now. The question is what kind? It's hard to imagine anything more complex than bacteria could have had time to develop. It would still be interesting and an extremely important discovery.

But, hey, you never know what might be lurking on the Red Planet.
Oh no....LOL....next we'll have an ELVIS sighting....and find Jimmy Hoffa's long lost remains...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space