Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:59 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times

Advertisements

The Rama ship was pretty cool, though I could never get exactly how it looked.

I always figured it looked like a really big, blocky rectangle or something. You know, one that's several kilometers wide and long.

I personally find the Firefly a pretty sweet ship, and also the Minmatar line of ships from the video game Eve Oline. Rifters, Ragnaroks, and Vagabonds galore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
Fireball XL5 would have to be my favourite spaceship from the 1960s back when I was but a larva. Good photo here showing the horizontal launch rail and booster trolley Fireball XL5 (http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.co.uk/html/fireball_xl5.html - broken link)
Reminds me of the old STINGRAY show...where the base descended underground during attack; while missiles rose out of silos for defensive firepower. OK...LOL..it was a submarine, but it looked like a science fiction spaceship of that era. . I was just a little tadpole then.

YouTube - Stingray TV Show Intro (1964)

Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
The Discovery One from 2001: A Space Odyssey

I also love the memorable scene of the Pan Am Orion III space clipper arriving at the rotating earth space station
I liked DISCOVERY too; but now it doesn't seem so far into the future to actually build that ship, if unlimited funds were provided.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
The ugliest ship ever. I love it.

No guns, no shields. It's a truck.

I built an 8 inch paper model of her last year. I should post a picture.
What's the name/class of this ship and what book/game/movie etc. is it from????

Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
It is a Firefly Class transport ship named Serenity, from the TV series "Firefly" and the move "Serenity". VTOL capable, two shuttle craft, large jump engine and cargo area. Popular with smugglers because it has many hiding places and compartments and is easily configurable and easy to find parts for.

Pic of the paper model

Old 03-02-2010, 09:35 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,110 times
Quote:
the ugliest ship ever. I love it.
No guns, no shields. It's a truck.
+1 for Serenity. I love how in the TV shows, all the outer space shots were accurately completely silent. Too bad it got canceled.

The voidhawks/blackhawksfrom Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy are very interesting as well. And Lady Macbeth from the same books is very reminiscent of Serenity.

Blackhawks (link):

Old 03-02-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
The Rama ship was pretty cool, though I could never get exactly how it looked.

I always figured it looked like a really big, blocky rectangle or something. You know, one that's several kilometers wide and long.

I personally find the Firefly a pretty sweet ship, and also the Minmatar line of ships from the video game Eve Oline. Rifters, Ragnaroks, and Vagabonds galore!
Actually RAMA sounds like the BABYLON 5 STATION... It's 5 miles long...with a huge open area/park/forest in the middle of it's cylindrical and rotating superstructure.
File:Babylon5 01.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Babylon 5 season 1 summary .

Old 03-02-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
It is a Firefly Class transport ship named Serenity, from the TV series "Firefly" and the move "Serenity". VTOL capable, two shuttle craft, large jump engine and cargo area. Popular with smugglers because it has many hiding places and compartments and is easily configurable and easy to find parts for.

Pic of the paper model
Thanks for answering and thanx for the picture; I was not familar with it before.....NOR the TV series. .

Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
+1 for Serenity. I love how in the TV shows, all the outer space shots were accurately completely silent. Too bad it got canceled.

The voidhawks/blackhawksfrom Peter Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy are very interesting as well. And Lady Macbeth from the same books is very reminiscent of Serenity.

Blackhawks (link):
Cool picture...the ships remind me of the "FIRST ONES" starships in BABYLON 5; they employed organic technology, especially in the hull design, which allowed self-repair during battle or damage. .

Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Trivia - one of the greatest marketing misses was never bringing out a model kit for the space station in 2001. There were models of the Orion and moon bus, but none of the space station.

Rama was sectionalized, but you really need to read the series to understand how it worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space