Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 PM

113 posts, read 108,897 times

Advertisements

Did anyone ever see that show that talked about launching that satelite or whatever into space with a map to our solar system? Does anyone else see anything a little off about this? If some being did find this, was able to interpret it, and somehow made it to earth, what do you think the first thing the world governments would do? The first thing that went through my mind when i saw this was, they would shoot that thing down before you could blink your eye. Its like inviting someone to a party not expecting them to come and when they do show up, slamming the door in their face. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo2929 View Post
Did anyone ever see that show that talked about launching that satelite or whatever into space with a map to our solar system? Does anyone else see anything a little off about this? If some being did find this, was able to interpret it, and somehow made it to earth, what do you think the first thing the world governments would do? The first thing that went through my mind when i saw this was, they would shoot that thing down before you could blink your eye. Its like inviting someone to a party not expecting them to come and when they do show up, slamming the door in their face. What do you guys think?
I'm not sure what show you're talking about, but the "map" along with images of male and female humans are aboard Pioneer 10 and 11 launched in March 2, 1972 and April 5, 1973.
Pioneer plaque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I suspect the crafts will continue drifting until it either bumps into a star or debris field. If not, it would likely disintegrate from being bombarded by cosmic particles and debris. They aren't very large crafts, both about the size of a table. Pretty small objects in the enormous vastness of space. It's hard to imagine any alien civilizations ever detecting them.

Even if some aliens happened to discover them and took them aboard for an inspection, and could figure out the patterns, depending on how far the Pioneer probes have traveled, it could take an extremely long time before any aliens came knocking on Earth's door. Assuming they did come, I'd guess any action taken by governments, even if such efforts were useless, would likely depend on whether the activity of the alien crafts appear to be hostile or not. In either case, we'd probably approach such an encounter with caution but would be greatly interested to learn as much as possible about such visitors and their technology.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:11 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:
In either case, we'd probably approach such an encounter with caution but...
I suspect if an alien entity were able to discover the meaning of the attached plaque and then able to find earth that our options would be severely limited.

Especially should said alien interpret the meaning on the plaque as 'Mel's Diner, Open 24/7'

Old 11-01-2010, 11:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo2929 View Post
Maybe there is intelligent life somewhere out there....unfortunately not much here!

Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
I suspect if an alien entity were able to discover the meaning of the attached plaque and then able to find earth that our options would be severely limited.

Especially should said alien interpret the meaning on the plaque as 'Mel's Diner, Open 24/7'
LOL! Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode, "To Serve Man".

Indeed our options might very well be limited, which was why I suggested that such an encounter should be approached with caution.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new movie, "Skyline", which notes Stephen Hawkings' recent comments about potential alien encounters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDJfue-Aanw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rtqUy34Tjk

Old 11-03-2010, 12:11 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,068,242 times
Bah.

The Pioneer and Voyager spacecraft are so slow that, if they are discovered by aliens in the next 1000 years, they will already be closer to our solar system than any other star (and so probably already aware of us and on their way to visit or observe.)

Beyond that period, Humans will probably outrun them and colonize the nearest star systems long before those old probes get anywhere useful.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Bah.

The Pioneer and Voyager spacecraft are so slow that, if they are discovered by aliens in the next 1000 years, they will already be closer to our solar system than any other star (and so probably already aware of us and on their way to visit or observe.)

Beyond that period, Humans will probably outrun them and colonize the nearest star systems long before those old probes get anywhere useful.
Agreed. At the rate Voyager 10 and 11 are traveling, if they were headed toward the nearest star, Alpha Centauri (which they aren't), it would take about 50,000 years to get there. And although both are about the size of a tabletop, they're much too small to be spotted by aliens or anyone else.
How long would it take to get to Alpha Centauri? | Space | EarthSky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space