Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times

Advertisements

My post looks fine to me. It is you who can't reason and have to resort to bullying and vague name calling to make up for your lack of such skill. This won't fly with me.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-13-2010 at 05:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:37 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waccamaw View Post
Did someone referred to as "a city data poster" state that it is impossible for there to be an infinite number of planets?
No. This means it is impossible for there to be a finite number of planets.

Quote:
the number of planets that exists is also infinite
which I disagreed with here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It is possible to have an infinite universe and a finite number of planets (at any one time).

Old 06-14-2010, 08:03 AM

12 posts, read 17,742 times
Quote:
No. This means it is impossible for there to be a finite number of planets.

which I disagreed with here:
I don't suppose that I would be willing to say that it is impossible, either. I think it could be either way and perhaps both ways if we take the possibility of numerous dimensions into consideration.

On this point, we will just disagree! I believe planets are infinite, in this dimension. There is no proof so your answer is just as valid as mine.

Logically, I have a problem in accepting that God (if there is one) would populate one planet orbiting one star, and put billions and billions of the rest up there for the fun of it.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
I believe [the number of] planets are infinite
isn't the same as

Quote:
Also, I never wrote the number of planets is finite.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
isn't the same as

I am confused. It looks like the same thing to me. Nevertheless, if it does not to you, then suffice it to say that in my mind, the number of planets is infinite.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
One is the expression of a belief, the other is a flat-out statement.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:30 PM

Ok Partner: What is the counter argument?

I want to discuss the issue not the syntax.

Are you arguing for divinity or just don't like the way I worded the statement?

No, offense intended I am just trying to understand this site. Is it not to discuss Christianity vs Science?

Old 06-15-2010, 06:51 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waccamaw
I believe [the number of] planets are infinite

isn't the same as

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waccamaw

This topic has veered from metaphysics to religion and now to semantics. In freshman English (high school, not college) one of the first things we learned about good writing is to never use the term "I think" or "I believe" when making a statement unless there is a reason. They both only serve to turn a possibly wrong belief into a definitely true statement. If it's an opinion piece or commentary, the reader will know that statements are those of the author. If it's something that might be true but is not certainly true, say that instead. If it is a factual piece, there is no place for statements of belief. I'm as guilty as many others in ignoring this rule, but city data is clearly for statements of opinion and the "I believe" should be implied.

To try to move this conversation at least slightly in the direction of science, the root question is an interesting metaphysical one--is it possible to have an infinite universe with only a finite number of planets? An infinite universe would have an infinite number of every allowed configuration of phase space in ratios proportional to their relative probabilities. The current configuration of space known as the visible universe has a small but finite probability, so one would think that in an infinite universe there would be an infinite number of our exact same universe with all of us having this pointless metaphysical debate (as well as an infinite number that are similar but only slightly different).

Of course, this argument relies on the the configurations of a finite volume of space (the visible universe) being finite, which is something of which I'm not sure. An infinite universe with a finite number of planets would require the probability of planet formation to be zero.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,637,703 times
Quote:
No, offense intended I am just trying to understand this site. Is it not to discuss Christianity vs Science?
Actually, it's not about Christianity. The subject is about Gerald Schroeder and his efforts to reconcile (or relate) the 6-day creation account described in the book of Genesis and the Big Bang. Schroeder thinks they're compatible, and that the word "day" could be viewed in terms of general relativity, the idea being the faster things go, the slower time passes. This also gets into perceived realities from the point of view of the observers. In a nutshell, a "day" during the formation of the universe might have been billions or millions years long in terms of our perception of time.

The Genesis account and the Big Bang theory both indicate the universe had a beginning. In that sense they show a similarity, but I don't think that would be enough to qualify as a reconciliation. Once you get past that there was a beginning, the biblical text starts making less sense. I'm not sure how Schroeder would reconcile the rest of the 6 days.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Actually, it's not about Christianity. The subject is about Gerald Schroeder and his efforts to reconcile (or relate) the 6-day creation account described in the book of Genesis and the Big Bang. Schroeder thinks they're compatible, and that the word "day" could be viewed in terms of general relativity, the idea being the faster things go, the slower time passes. This also gets into perceived realities from the point of view of the observers. In a nutshell, a "day" during the formation of the universe might have been billions or millions years long in terms of our perception of time.

The Genesis account and the Big Bang theory both indicate the universe had a beginning. In that sense they show a similarity, but I don't think that would be enough to qualify as a reconciliation. Once you get past that there was a beginning, the biblical text starts making less sense. I'm not sure how Schroeder would reconcile the rest of the 6 days.
Thanks for the thoughts. The subject fascinates me. I also appreciate Jay's words. Knowledgeable against or in support of my views, are very welcome but, I admit I am not versed enough to know if I were chewed out or complemented.

Concerning the seven days, how long did Moses roam the desert? 40 years, if memory serves. If a day was thousands of years then Moses must have been feeling pretty feeble before he found the promised land.

How long did the sun stand still over Jericho? Or is it their view that a word in one chapter of the Bible is not the same as the same word in another chapter? If that is the case, what other words may have different meanings?
What is forgive, or love, or heaven, fornicate, marriage, and so on have different meanings throughout the Bible.

Think about poor old Moses. He stood against the pharaoh, knowing that he could be killed for doing so. He stood firm and strong for God words while he led his people through the desert against a multitude of ills and perils.

God told him to strike the stone to get water and he struck it one too many times and this loving forgiving God punished him for 40 years, for one extra strike against the stone.

He sure won't like me for the things I have done!

WOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space