U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM

12,381 posts, read 24,530,666 times

Advertisements

I'm a 19 year and I have Aspergers. I was wondering if the parents that have aspies could tell me if these are reasonable goals?

Some things ive accomplished so far (solo)

-Navigating Urban Jersey on Foot 16 cities

-Staying in Safe areas , staying away form dangerous areas with the help of friends who live in the Urban areas

-Navigating New Jersey Transit Light Rail and Regional Rail

-Staying within the budget , my mom gives me 70$ for my Urban Jersey trips , i usually set limits like 20$ for Transit , 15$ for food , and misc is the rest.

-Ive applied for 20 jobs , 4 of them for future careers in the Rail / Transit fields

-I can have a conversation with ppl , even strangers like on a train or light rail.

Some Future Goals

-Sell a few of my photos

-Get and keep a job

-move out of the house before August 2011

-enter my Transit / Rail Career

Are those responsible goals? I feel like i'm falling behind when i compare my self to my other aspie friends who have a job or are out of the house. But at the same time i feel like i'm miles ahead of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:52 PM

16,902 posts, read 19,666,821 times
Your goals sound fine to me, but.... what is the job market like where you live? Are many transit jobs or rail jobs available? Are you a high school graduate, btw? What about going to college? Would you be interested in transportation management? Might you be interested in going to another area of the country for school? Many of the colleges though specialize more in aviation than in rail.

I would not worry too much about moving out by a specific date. Getting a job would be the first order of business and then you can worry about moving out.

Are the photos rail related? You might have some luck with collectors if they are.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:08 PM

32,525 posts, read 32,954,829 times
Nexis, I only know the basics about Asperger's but...Wow! I am impressed at what you have accomplished so far. I would especially like to commend you for budgeting so well. And as far as the goals you have set? I'm impressed that you have made them and are so interested in attaining them. Good for you!!

I know young adults your age who are "normal" (if there is such a thing) and who are total slackers. You put them to shame.

Keep up the good work!! I can't tell you how much I am pulling for you. Keep working hard!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM

12,381 posts, read 24,530,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Your goals sound fine to me, but.... what is the job market like where you live? Are many transit jobs or rail jobs available? Are you a high school graduate, btw? What about going to college? Would you be interested in transportation management? Might you be interested in going to another area of the country for school? Many of the colleges though specialize more in aviation than in rail.

I would not worry too much about moving out by a specific date. Getting a job would be the first order of business and then you can worry about moving out.

Are the photos rail related? You might have some luck with collectors if they are.

Good luck!
The Job Market has forced me to look in the cities like Newark , Jersey City , Manhattan and its still hard finding one. Not many Rail jobs available. Ive applied for 19 Amtrak jobs up and down the NEC. Surprising even with there daily sold out trains they don't need anymore help. I looked for a collage , can't fine one. My photos vary form Infastrature to Real Estate & misc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Nexis, I only know the basics about Asperger's but...Wow! I am impressed at what you have accomplished so far. I would especially like to commend you for budgeting so well. And as far as the goals you have set? I'm impressed that you have made them and are so interested in attaining them. Good for you!!

I know young adults your age who are "normal" (if there is such a thing) and who are total slackers. You put them to shame.

Keep up the good work!! I can't tell you how much I am pulling for you. Keep working hard!
Yea , i believe i have a milder case. I still calm up in public , only during certain times will i talk to a person. Usually the person will start the conservation and not me. Theres a part of me that wants to chat , but nothing will come out. I take a trip a week , rain or shine.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:49 AM

14,781 posts, read 38,671,795 times
Nexis, just wanted to say that I had no idea about you being an Aspie, or your age. I think you should be extremely proud of your accomplishments. I know we have bickered from time to time on the NJ threads, but I always thought you to be a well versed individual on the topics you are passionate about. That is a rarity in people, let alone a 19 year old who has had to overcome challenges.

I think you could do quite well with your photographs. From what I can tell people are enthusiastic about them when they are posted. You always seem to find a way to capture the positive image in your work. Even if it is something as routine as a street corner in Newark, your work seems to envisage a certain amount of light breaking through the darkness that is so often associated with urban NJ.

I have only a little advice for you. First, follow your dreams and your passions and don't let anyone deter you. Learn all you can and put that knowledge to work for you. If you are willing to overcome challenges (and you have conquered many already), you can realize your dreams. To that end, I would highly advise you to attend college. I would start by looking into seeing what services and classes may be available at the local county school and going from there. The only specific rail school that I know of is part of Minnesota State College. However, any general business courses, even just to an associates level will serve you well in the future. You may even want to look into photography classes as you seem to have quite the knack. Combining education with your passions is one of the surest ways to success.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 PM

2,888 posts, read 5,857,111 times
My nephew is an Aspie and he ROCKS. One thing you will learn is that everyone is quirky in their on way - Aspies are just a little more noticable. Adults will tend to accept quirkiness much easier. My nephew has found his niche as an adult. So things will continue to get easier as time goes on.

One thing to think about. As an Aspie - you tend to be a bit more focussed to detail. Some careers are not well-suited to that. Others are. As you pursue a career, maek sure you understand what level of detail is required and how much authority you have with regard to problem solving. This will allow you to meet the job expectations.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,687,185 times
All Aspies are are different levels of capacity to do things in the public. No answer fits all.

I don't think you ought to question your goals. Just do them. Some will work out OK, and some won't but that applies to everyone, Aspie or not.

I was an Aspie, but I didn't know it, and there was no such word (or concept) in those days. After gratuation from high school, I got on a Greyhound bus and went to college 1,000 miles away, and just naturally assumed that I would get along OK and learn from the experience. Not everything went well, I discovered that not all my goals were feasible, and I changed some goals on the fly, while at the same time I grabbed some opportunities that came out of the blue. That was 55 years ago, and all in all, I wouldn't have wanted my life to have been any different from what it was.

Don't think of Aspergers as a disability. Think of it as a different kind of ability, understand who and what you are,identify your strengths, model you life around what you CAN do, not what you can't do. Because there isn't anything you can't do.

Get any education you can. As for career, take any job you can get. You need income. Be very, very reliable at your job. Show up on time, every time. Do what you're told. One day you'll be in the right place at the right time, you'll have developed a good work ethic, you'll get a good recommendation, and you'll have a great job. It might not be what you want to do, but you can pursue your hobbies on your own time.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-04-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 02:18 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,824,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm a 19 year and I have Aspergers. I was wondering if the parents that have aspies could tell me if these are reasonable goals?

Some things ive accomplished so far (solo)

-Navigating Urban Jersey on Foot 16 cities

-Staying in Safe areas , staying away form dangerous areas with the help of friends who live in the Urban areas

-Navigating New Jersey Transit Light Rail and Regional Rail

-Staying within the budget , my mom gives me 70$ for my Urban Jersey trips , i usually set limits like 20$ for Transit , 15$ for food , and misc is the rest.

-Ive applied for 20 jobs , 4 of them for future careers in the Rail / Transit fields

-I can have a conversation with ppl , even strangers like on a train or light rail.

Some Future Goals

-Sell a few of my photos

-Get and keep a job

-move out of the house before August 2011

-enter my Transit / Rail Career

Are those responsible goals? I feel like i'm falling behind when i compare my self to my other aspie friends who have a job or are out of the house. But at the same time i feel like i'm miles ahead of them.
Nexis4Jersey, you seem like you're doing a GREAT job in accomplishing your goals! Try not to focus on what other people in your age group with Aspergers are doing. Everyone goes through life and accomplishes their goals at their own pace. You're definitely not falling behind, that's for sure!

By the way, I was shocked to find out that you are 19. I always thought you were much older for some reason...

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,178,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Think of it as a different kind of ability, understand who and what you are,identify your strengths, model you life around what you CAN do, not what you can't do. Because there isn't anything you can't do.
They great life advice for ANYONE

The important thing is setting goals. Then being willing to recognize when you might need to change them.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:37 PM

939 posts, read 3,084,893 times
Default Your post

I wonder how you would rate your social skills with people your own age? Do you think you need to improve in that area? How are your social skills with people older than you?

I think your goals sound good. You can always make changes to them as you obtain new information and excel in some of them. I am a big advocate in learning social skills as they will always give you an advantage in getting and keeping the job you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children