Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 11:06 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a child on disability? I mean SSDI, Social Security Disability, please don't confuse with SSI, supplemental security income, a fancy name for welfare.

SSDI is an entitlement program for adults and children with a disabilty that prevents them from engaging in substantial, gainful work over a period of time, obviously, something that isn't expected to heal, like a broken leg.

My ds main diagnosis is ADHD, he also has a slew of other psychiatric dx, including OCD, PTSD, RAD, etc. One of the criteria is that, despite medication and other interventions, he can't function in 2 or more of 5 settings, such as school, home, community, etc.

Ok, the only way to find out is to apply, I know that. But I would like to hear from others who's children receive SSDI. Although extra income is always needed, does it come with "hooks"? Are there restrictions on one's lifestyle they wish they knew about beforehand? Is it worth the tradeoff?

Should I just apply, or get an attorney first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 01:41 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
Can a child even get SSDI, I don't know? They can't work because they are children. SSI is not welfare and that is what you are more likely to see children on. On SSI not only does the child have to qualify, but it goes by your household income as well. If you make over a certain amount of money he/she cannot get SSI. There are all kinds of rules with both SSDI and SSI.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Here is a helpful website

SOCIAL SECURITY DISABILITY, SSI FOR AUTISM

Here is the government website
Social Security Pubilications

Old 10-24-2010, 03:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times
I am on SSDI for my Aspergers and related anxiety disorder. To qualify for SSDI, the applicant must have worked and paid into Social Security the minimum vesting quarters. If your son hasn't vested yet, he may still qualify for SSI. If your son has gotten any SSA statements, it will state whether he is vested enough to qualify for various benefits; if he's never gotten a statement, it's likely he's not acquired enough income quarters to qualify.

I would personally recommend enlisting the aid of an attorney or advocate (like Allsup, etc) to assist you with the paperwork and process for any mental/psychiatric disability since these are notoriously harder claims to get accepted.

Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,762 times
My son, with high-functioning autism and related issues, is getting SS for his disability. It is not available until age 18. If you have gone to court to establish guardianship, qualification for SS is pretty much automatic. With SS, he can also qualify for Medicaid. Household income is not a consideration, because he is over 18 and would otherwise be independent. He cannot have any assets to speak of, so you should remove any funds from any banking account he may have. There are special needs trusts that can be set up for savings, but I don't pretend to be an expert on that. There are no hooks on how the money is spent, but don't let his SS payments accumulate in his banking account. You need to spend the money on his welfare. Trust me, although it helps, it's not that much money. If he can handle a part time job, you need to report this to SS, and the monthly check may decrease.

My son is involved in some vocational training that looks promising, so he may be losing all this soon. I look forward to that day.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 PM

83 posts, read 242,314 times
SSI is not a fancy name for welfare. It is given to families of children who need extra care I.E from a parent...you also do not get it if your household income is over a certain amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children