U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 8,332 times

Advertisements

Hi,

my name is carolien. I'm a french highschoolteacher with a special way of connecting to children with autism. Years ago i found out i can 'mind talk' with autistic children and i have been developing ever since.

My question; for my own childrens upbringing i want to move to the us for 3 years. I want to teach my children -14 & 16- it is possible to change your life and make big dicisions and follow them up succesfully. As I work with autistic children, this is the line of work i want to persue in the US as well, only on a private basis. After 10 years of high school teaching, for me it will be great to work with a familiy on a personal level.

What are good websites to go to for info on private job opportunities, get connected to families etc.?

Thank you for your time,

carolien
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 14,631 times
In which state/city you would be in US. We do have a need and looking for private special ed teachers.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 14,631 times
In which state/city you would be in US. We do have a need and looking for private special ed teachers.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 AM

37,418 posts, read 48,291,433 times
I'm not entirely sure what methodology is implied by "mind talking" to people with autism, but in the U.S., autism education and behavioral science approaches are hot fields. There are a lot of specialized schools, and the jobs are out there, but they typically adhere to specific methodologies.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:02 PM

Hi,

thank you for answering! Because of the timedifference my answers will be late.

I need to say right away i have no education for specific method teaching for autism. I'm a regular highschoolteacher. I found out what i can do through my nephew who is autistic. Whenever he had a panic attack and i was around, i could go into his mind -this sounds weird, i know- and make him calm instantly. I can do it from a distance now as well and talk to him (and others, any a-child) to get contact and translate their needs and feelings to parents/teachers/family.

Since this is such a beautiful thing to do, it's what i want to do fulltime. My goal is to work with families and get a better understanding of the needs of an a-child apart from the things already known such as clear schedules etc. to help both the family and the child. Because of the phase i'm at in my personal life, i'd like to start in the US. With personal phase i mean wanting to teach my children about the ability to make changes in their lives. My boys will be leaving home in a couple of years and i need to do this for them but for myself as well, to make it easier to let them go knowing i did all i can to get them ready for their lives. So starting in the US is a timing thing; i really want to work with autistic children and need to get my kids 'ready'.

I'm looking for employment in california or florida. This is a weather thing. I hate winters -it's been snowing here for days now and it's cold- so by chosing a new way of living, i might as well go for the sun as well.

I hope to hear from you and can elaborate on the subject as well of course and apologize for the mistakes in my english,

carolien

Old 12-04-2010, 06:48 PM

6,110 posts, read 9,396,221 times
Not sure how I feel about this as a SPED teacher who works for a specialized ASD program. One thing I can say is in the US we use people first language.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Hi Spazkat,

i understand you're not sure, it's out of the ordinary and i totally understand i'm won't be able to teach, i haven't had the training to do your specialized work, it would be irresponsible and besides that, you've studied hard for it, it would be ridiculous for me to just come around saying 'hé, i can do this and that'. What i would love to do is be an asset in either a family or school. For instance when a child panics or is out of contact, i can contact him/her and translate the needs (and calm him/her down of course). If we can then put that need into action, we can see if we can prevent a situation from happening again or get some clarity in how a child works. Maybe even see if it will be applicable for a group of children and so on. Again, i have great respect for you and your colleagues, i'm just another way of looking at things. Hope to hear from you, carolien

Old 12-05-2010, 06:48 PM

6,110 posts, read 9,396,221 times
I have a special trust and bond with my students because I know them so well (having worked with them for multiple years). I can calm them better than most because I know how to read their body language and vocalizations. Is it possible you just know your nephew, and what works best to calm him because of the trust and bond you have? Have you ever just came across a random child with an ASD and been able to calm him or her? I'm just not sure what makes you think you can do this with other children.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Hi,

good question and yes, i've worked with a lot of other children. My nephew's parents are in a group of families with autistic relatives, so i got to know many families and kids and worked with them. It's because of those experiences i'm confident i can and want to work with kids on a fulltime basis. It would be a lot easier to stay in holland to give up my highschool teaching career, but as i still have my own children and the things i want to teach them, i'm going for it all the way, a total lifechange for a while and trying to set up what i want to do with all my heart. As it's not possible to live in the US longer then 3 years, i'm hoping to become a nanny in a family and hopefully be allowed to spend time in a special education/day care school on a voluntary basis to get to know your methods in America, learn and work with children and have my own studie as to what for instance could have a calming or challeging or new way of contacting effect on a group of children instead of a specific personal need a child has. Which brings me to my basic question; ways to get in touch with families/private job opportunities in the specific area of either california or florida. There are so many links on the internet, i don't know what's good or not. And for me important as well, as i've seen how difficult your line of work is, i want to approach with respect, because i understand the scepticism of what i say i'm doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children