Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:58 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustTess View Post
We haven't done the psych testing yet because the doc's office either wants to label it an educational issue instead of a medical issue. Same issue at school, however, he is extremely bright. He has also done some research testing which showed he has an extremely fast processing speed. He's in the right classroom at school. There is about 7 other students who are smart with adhd and/or Asperger type issues and the courses have really challenged them to be quite successful.

We were attacking his truancy issue by having him go to a variety of court ordered counciling hoping that he will choose a better sleep schedule and wake up in time to go to school and checking in with each teacher daily to see if he has met the daily requirements and timelines. Everything improved after 6 weeks and he was able to bring up failing grades to near 100%, graduating with a 3.5 overall average and no failing courses.

Then he has this grand mal seizure after waking up in the morning followed by explosive anger. He doesn't remember anything and all of his docs are nervous. He has no dx yet and the insurance is making it extremely difficult to see a neurologist. S I G H..... From what I understand, in his case, a neurologist would lead the treatment plan and advise the psychiatrist and primary care about future treatments.

I guess in a way.... I may be jumping the gun with my thoughst about asperger or adhd.... IDK... he is successful in school in his own way.
If he had a seizure and explosive anger, they may want to look at temporal lobe epilepsy. That is sometimes the cause for behavioral issues, especially if they have no clue what they had just done. I would definately seek a consult with a pediatric neurologist who will probably do an EEG (sleep deprived). Call your pediatrician for a recommendation for a pediatric neurologist who specializes in seizures. A regular pediatric neurologist should be fine, in case you don't have a pediatric neurologist who specializes in sezures.

Good luck! I know it is tough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:15 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
We are now in Florida and I understand it is very difficult to get a 504 plan now. You have to jump through such hoops and really fight for it. It really helped her though.

Has a doctor diagnosed him with ADHD?
If you're in Hillsborough, Pasco, or one of the other school systems in the area, this may be a good resource for you:
STAND | Statewide Advocacy Network on Disabilities
It's not that hard, IME, to get an IEP or 504. You just have to know what you're talking about, and have your ducks in a row-- which many parents do not.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:56 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If you're in Hillsborough, Pasco, or one of the other school systems in the area, this may be a good resource for you:
STAND | Statewide Advocacy Network on Disabilities
It's not that hard, IME, to get an IEP or 504. You just have to know what you're talking about, and have your ducks in a row-- which many parents do not.
The schools advocate told me that if the teacher suspects a student may need a 504 they need to do this: the school has to do a few basic testing to see if there are any discrepancies (if there aren't, then they stop the process), the teacher has to follow the students progress for 6 months to a year, lastly you have to apply to the board of ed for their approval. If the parent wants a 504, they have to fight the school for it. In NJ, it was just a meeting with the teacher, school psychologist and social worker (speech pathologist if needed) and they approved it at that meeting. Done. Maybe in the 7 years since my daughter received a 504, things have changed in NJ as well. The problem is that too many parents wanted to give their child an advantage and claimed their kid needs extra time on tests (including the standardized testing), even if they did not have any diagnosable reason. The parents would have a professional write something up, just so that the child can get a 504 plan.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 AM

134 posts, read 342,861 times
I don't think the new dx makes things easier to understand because we still haven't ruled out ADHD and/or Asperger.

DS18 took a 3 day ambulatory EEG and it showed frontal lobe seizure activity upon waking or going into a drowsy sleep. He's already on a maintenance dossage of keppra so this seems to affect him more than what the doc had thought. Son has no memory of any problems or strange feelings.

Now we are dealing with fall college semester, type of assistance he may need (I don't think anyone knows what he may need), and transportation to school because he can't drive for a few months. Because we are sorting out his med issue and finances, he would have to live at home and attend college about 5 miles away. There isn't public transportation so I guess I need to start looking into some type of transportation service our city might have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children