Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 06:06 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times

Advertisements

I've started looking for ideas for cheap and unusual teacher appreciation ideas for my kids teachers, especially my son's playschool teacher, who has been wonderful (he goes to a small, church based playschool twice a week). My husband brought up a good point: his therapists have been great too, is there such a thing as therapist appreciation day? If so, when, and what sort of things have you given as small presents to your SN kid's therapists?

I googled it and couldn't find a day... I might just give them the same cards I am going to make for the teachers- handprint flowers with "thanks for helping me grow" at the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
I've started looking for ideas for cheap and unusual teacher appreciation ideas for my kids teachers, especially my son's playschool teacher, who has been wonderful (he goes to a small, church based playschool twice a week). My husband brought up a good point: his therapists have been great too, is there such a thing as therapist appreciation day? If so, when, and what sort of things have you given as small presents to your SN kid's therapists?

I googled it and couldn't find a day... I might just give them the same cards I am going to make for the teachers- handprint flowers with "thanks for helping me grow" at the bottom.
I've heard mixed reactions from teachers and other staff who are touched by the gesture but tired of accumulating endless mugs, picture frames, Christmas ornaments, and other kitschy gifts. The card with a handprint sounds darling, though. My son gave me a similar card a couple years ago, and it was really sweet.

For a gift--do you have a store like this near you? I'd give a gift card.

The most complete collection of effective Teaching Tools, Educational Materials and Classroom Supplies for children of all ages.

Educators invariably spend their own money for classroom supplies, and I'm sure therapists are no different. Stickers, special note pads and calendars, pencil grips, Twist n' Write pencils, little trinket incentives, etc.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:47 AM

167 posts, read 476,950 times
Maybe something that the therapist loves themselves? Best example is my son's band teacher. He's not a therapist per se but has been wonderful in helping my son grow this year. For this year's Christmas gift he gave him a small pin of Darth Vader as a conductor that we bought when we attended Star Wars In Concert. His reaction was priceless and truly genuine it was cute.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
The best gift for any teacher or therapist is a note to the school or center detailing how wonderful they are. This can be put in their portfolio and in the personnel file. It should be specific and tell exactly what you love about them.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I agree with nana053 that a letter or note of appreciation is the very best Thank You of all for a therapist or a teacher. You would be surprised at how rare any type of Thank You is for educational staff members. When a parent takes the time to send a letter to the principal or school director praising and thanking the teacher or therapist for their hard work it is greatly appreciated and remembered by everyone. As nana053 wrote the best letters give specific examples of what your child learned or how the staff member "went beyond the call of duty".

Old 03-19-2012, 04:02 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
It's unnecessary, but if you do give a therapist a gift, nice options are Starbucks gift cards or Barnes and Noble gift cards.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Thanks all! I am Facebook friends with all his therapists (probably blurring the lines there.. but I do realise all but one keep a lot of posts hidden), so may do some snooping and find personalised presents, and give them at the same time as Teacher Appreciation together with the card, or maybe a big plate of cookies for the office, as the admin staff are great too (my son as 2 hours each of PT, OT and speech a week in two three hour sots, all in the same clinic).

Old 03-19-2012, 09:04 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
Thanks all! I am Facebook friends with all his therapists (probably blurring the lines there.. but I do realise all but one keep a lot of posts hidden), so may do some snooping and find personalised presents, and give them at the same time as Teacher Appreciation together with the card, or maybe a big plate of cookies for the office, as the admin staff are great too (my son as 2 hours each of PT, OT and speech a week in two three hour sots, all in the same clinic).
Hi, As a someone who used to provide ABA, I have to say that a personalized gift would have made me uncomfortable. However, I did enjoy the gift cards and nice cards or notes that came with them. As those above said, the letter of appreciation is priceless People in the helping professionals don't always feel comfortable taking gifts, but it is much easier when they are less personal. This is just my opinion, of course. Maybe someone else can chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children