U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 06:06 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,005,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Spigel View Post
My 4 year old granddaughter is also very afraid of the toliet flushing especially in public rest rooms. She starts screaming as soon as we walk in and saying don't flush. She is also afraid of balloons, bubble gum, car horns, just about any startling noise. The toilet issue has just started.

I have often wondered if she didn't have asperger, as she has only started talking this last year and always in her own little world. When she was smaller she would never answer or respond to her name being called.

Her parents insist she is fine.
Her parents should have her evaluated at a children's hospital. She could possibly be autistic; it's good to find out early. Many kids have sensory issues (sensory processing disorder) which is easily treatable.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 31,600 times
On the first day of class, my son ran out of the bathroom with his hands over his ears from the sound of the toilet flushing. His teacher told me a few wks later that was her first clue that he may have Asperger's. She'd compiled an 8 page list of things that made her feel he was indeed autistic and it was due to her that he was tested and diagnosed but we had to fight. The ISD head didn't think he needed to be diagnosed since he was doing well academically. Idiot. That can change at any time due to Aspie issues and lack of accommodations that your child can only get if he has an IEP and diagnosis.

He's in 4th grade now and is a bit better w/ noises he's used to, still has issues in public restrooms, doesn't like the instant paper-towel dispensers, soap dispensers, or self-flushing toilets. In class, he sits on an inflatable cushion and has a strip of velcro of the front of his desk that he can touch. (Otherwise, he's tearing erasers apart.)

Definitely fight for it when you get to the new school- good luck!

LK

Old 06-11-2008, 12:27 PM

106 posts, read 364,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I know they aren't suppose to like loud noises. And my son has also hated startling noises.

But recently my six year old now says he's scared of the toilet sounds after he flushes. Do you feel like this is an Asperger thing - or a regular kid thing?

Because he's never been scared of the sound - but now he is? Just out of the blue?
Was there perhaps a story/book at school about flushing and/or toilets? If not, it sounds as though it's not that uncommon and hopefully he'll learn to deal with it. Even as a non-Asperger's individual, I've always had "issues" with toilets -- not the sound, but the actual flushing, itself still scares me a bit and I've more than a half-century old .....

Old 06-16-2008, 02:42 PM

246 posts, read 1,007,062 times
We finally got moved and got our son in school and the teacher actually was the one to request the meeting! I was so happy to FINALLY not be treated like a crazy, overbearing mother. The IEP meeting went well and everyone present agreed that there were some concerns and agreed to have him tested at the beginning of the school year, as well as recommending I speak to his new doctor and consider trying a medication for his hyperactivity. YAY!!! I'm so happy someone else sees it too and he can finally get the supports he needs!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 24,727 times
My son is 8 yrs old and just started the 3rd grade. He was so upset this morning because a teacher told him that there was going to be a fire drill. He is terrified of loud noises. Since he was a baby he has always been terrified of loud noises.

My son is a highly sensitive child. I also believe he is an Indigo child. The book, Indigo Children has answered many questions for me. My son has given me detailed descriptions of many of his past lives and I believe loud noises remind him of one particular past live when he remembers being killed in a war in Africa.

When he was 5 almost 6, after a visit with his Peditrician, she told me to read the book, Childrens Past Lives and How It Affects Them. The first part of the book tells how the Authors young son was terrified of loud noises.

You can also research Indigo children, Rainbow and Chrystal children on the net.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 24,467 times
If your child seems "normal" in 99% of they're daily lives except for loud commercial toilets and he use to line up his cars & trucks when he was around 2yr. old ......how do you know if these things are "something" else? L. Roberts

Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,872,457 times
I remember when I was little.... I was TERRIFIED of the toilet.... I wouldn't flush public ones because there weren't any lids. I was afraid I'd be "sucked" down. I didn't really get over it until I was 10 or so. My youngest, has this same irrational fear. The only symptoms of ASD she has are ones she has picked up from her older brother.... and with her being 8, she is "outgrowing" some of those. She is also terrified of a flushing toilet.

Her brother (with ASD) has never shown any fear of a flushing toilet.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,449,149 times
My son is 5 and in Kindergarten. Last year, we went to visit his Dad at work, and he had to use the restroom. I never heard a louder flush in my life! He actually screamed and ran out of the restroom. He had never had a problem before. After that, he wouldn't even go into the firehouse. It took a lot of convincing to get him in the building, but he will not go near the restroom, and even walks on the other side of the hall from the door. It did carry over to other toilets...he didn't want to flush at home, or wanted me to do it after he left the room. He's ok at home now, but he refused to go to school because that toilet was loud.

We are awaiting final testing for a possible dx of Asperger's...and his OT assessment showed some sensory issues...he also has to leave music class every week, and covers his ears during assemblies in the auditorium. Loud noises frighten him. But he's louder than anyone I know!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,042,251 times
Hi. My son, 8, has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS and severe ADHD, combined type. This includes the significant sensory issues and OT challenges. A continuing sensory problem is noise. He had to take a test the other day, and the gathering room was crowded. He started behaving silly and doing some annoying things. After talking with him, he told me was annoyed by all the "bub, bub, bub." In other words, all the talking going on. Once he was out of the room, he was fine, thankfully. OT, ST and the counseling (getting him in touch with emotions and different affects) has helped a lot. There was a time when the buzz of fluorescent lighting would distract him.

I will admit that I have been avoiding bringing him into situations that will make him nervous and spark the reactions/misbehaviors. Usually, it's a store or crowded area. I let him bring a toy to church. Once even a DS that he played silently; I only got a couple of looks for that one, lol.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:10 PM

27 posts, read 89,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It sounds like a kid thing that is exacerbated by being an Aspie. When I was younger, I was tentatively diagnosed as some mild Asperger traits that I've more or less overcome- but I still am considered an "HSP" (highly sensitive person). The sound of a toilet flushing can REALLY shock me- especially living in a dorm room right next to the bathroom. If I'm not ready for it (or any loud noise), I jump a mile. Even as a 19 year old, fireworks still make me really nervous and occasionally send me into panic attacks.

And I don't even want to start about airplanes. I'm so afraid of planes- mostly due to my heightened awareness of the sounds, motion, and smells- that I don't go home for school breaks except winter and summer. And even then, I often take a 24 hour + Amtrak ride from Boston to Atlanta.

the same goes for me with the sounds!

sometimes, it appears to NTs that issues develop out of the blue, when in fact, they have been there already. perhaps just worsening little by little.

best,

CM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children