U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:59 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,665,605 times

Advertisements

If you just wait and follow your son's lead, you will eventually hit upon the activity he will enjoy. I agree that the geocaching/letterboxing sounds like a wonderful thing to try.

My son struggled with varying interests for years and we had a few failed attempts at activities, and then I took him to a free bicycling class at our local velodrome when he was 10 yrs old. It was obvious that he LOVED bicycling and is still racing his bike now at age 13. The physical activity is so wonderful for him and really makes a difference with his mood. I hope your son can find something like this that he truly enjoys.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 12:12 AM
kqm

3 posts, read 6,440 times
Depending on his age, how often he attends class, and considering that he isn't in class for the summer + holidays, one year may or may not be a good indication of his progress.

In order to have a functioning martial arts class[relationship], a good instructor is key, but more importantly you need an excellent student. Sure, a teacher needs to adjust his curriculum accordingly but bear in mind that our society takes even that idea for granted. In fact, today in many parts of asia, one can only join a martial arts school by invitation, not by walking in to sign up.

I find it appalling that an instructor will show frustration amongst even the most difficult students, and in front of those students at that; however, not knowing the situation first-hand I will give them the benefit of the doubt. It's just that I would expect the utmost discipline from those representing their school.

Don't think of martial arts as a one-stop service that will handle everything. In middle school i wrestled, and in high school i played tennis. During those times i put off training but years later, i've returned to martial arts. Tennis is my second love - another great sport to improve hand-eye coordination, and it's an individual sport so it should build mental toughness, confidence, etc.

As others have suggested, try another school. Back then we didn't have separate kid, teen, and adult classes. Growing up this helped expose me to a more mature crowd - something that i would have never experienced on my own. As I grew older it helped me understand my influence on a younger generation.

It seems like you've already made a decision to pull him from the class, but in case you haven't, have you thought of joining yourself and working out with your son?

Best of luck to you, and do keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
My son who has mild Asperger's has been in TaeKwondo for about a year (with breaks to see his dad for the summer and holidays etc)

And we just don't see any improvement. We know that this sport is suppose to be one of the good ones for his condition but he can not SHUT UP and stop talking for two seconds. This sport is one of those that is suppose to teach self control etc...and he's in the little kiddie version - not even the regular classes, because his teacher, me & his step dad and HIM all feel like he could not handle the regular class (where he doesn't get the one on one attention and structure)

We are really thinking of pulling him out. He's getting nothing from this - he's not excited to go to class (although he does go, it's not like him not completing what he started)

When he gets s direction he just is in his own head and not listening or too distracted by what HE wants to talk about...he's utterly disruptive to the rest of the kids

AND here's the kicker - you can SEE how tired of him the instructors are...they look exasperated with him there. And I feel awful as a parent. Plus I have to get up and leave because it takes all my energy not to try and parent from the sidelines cuz I can see a problem arising beore they ever do...

It's just gotten exhausting for all involved

But then WHAT do we put him into? My husband thinks Art, since that's what he loves right now - to create.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,589,178 times
Try private lessons?

Old 11-15-2007, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 15,079 times
My 9 yr old Autistic boy LOVES gymnastics! It's movement. It's fitness. It's BOUNCING! It's JUMPING! It's spinning! All the things that my Aspie LOVES!!! They are several places where we live that offer classes specifically for children "on the spectrum"! Check around some local gymnastics places - every one I've ever asked about has told me that the first "just check it out and see" classes were free. I've even had the pleasure of meeting coaches who were studying Occupational or Physical therapies in college, so they knew how to work with our kiddos. Just as idea!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:45 AM

246 posts, read 1,021,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKay View Post
My 9 yr old Autistic boy LOVES gymnastics! It's movement. It's fitness. It's BOUNCING! It's JUMPING! It's spinning! All the things that my Aspie LOVES!!! They are several places where we live that offer classes specifically for children "on the spectrum"! Check around some local gymnastics places - every one I've ever asked about has told me that the first "just check it out and see" classes were free. I've even had the pleasure of meeting coaches who were studying Occupational or Physical therapies in college, so they knew how to work with our kiddos. Just as idea!

I second that! My daughter is very much into gymnastics and when school let out for the summer I needed a place for my Aspie son to go while she was in class because I can't trust him to behave himself in the observation booth alone. So I enrolled him in a class that was the same time as hers and it was the best confidence booster yet! He had loads of fun and learned a lot in the process. We're definitely enrolling him again after we move.

Another thing I saw that seems like it would be great for them is rock climbing. I was checking out indoor rock climbing places and some of them have programs for kids and that kind of thing would be perfect too. It's very physical. My son tried a rock climbing wall a couple times and was so very determined to get up to the top and ring that bell! He finally did it after a few tries and was so proud of himself...and exhausted!

Hope that helps!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,840,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
My son who has mild Asperger's has been in TaeKwondo for about a year (with breaks to see his dad for the summer and holidays etc)

And we just don't see any improvement. We know that this sport is suppose to be one of the good ones for his condition but he can not SHUT UP and stop talking for two seconds. This sport is one of those that is suppose to teach self control etc...and he's in the little kiddie version - not even the regular classes, because his teacher, me & his step dad and HIM all feel like he could not handle the regular class (where he doesn't get the one on one attention and structure)

We are really thinking of pulling him out. He's getting nothing from this - he's not excited to go to class (although he does go, it's not like him not completing what he started)

When he gets s direction he just is in his own head and not listening or too distracted by what HE wants to talk about...he's utterly disruptive to the rest of the kids

AND here's the kicker - you can SEE how tired of him the instructors are...they look exasperated with him there. And I feel awful as a parent. Plus I have to get up and leave because it takes all my energy not to try and parent from the sidelines cuz I can see a problem arising beore they ever do...

It's just gotten exhausting for all involved

But then WHAT do we put him into? My husband thinks Art, since that's what he loves right now - to create.

I know what your going through, my son is the same way. It breaks my heart as a parent when I can see in the instructors/teachers faces that they are fed up!!

My son has a multitude of disabilities - I've had much success with my son in private swimming lessons and private horseback riding lessons.

Good luck to you

Old 08-11-2008, 10:33 PM

19 posts, read 78,180 times
Default tell us what happens!

CityGirl72:

I understand that it must be very difficult for your son to live with Asberger's. I also know that he wants to succeed in all things, and he wants to have self-esteem. I would 1) pray for him daily, 2)do lessons one-on-one with him daily instead of an instructor, and most importantly, 3) praise him daily.

If you do these, I think that he will want to perform well at Tae Kwon Do, art, church, the grocery, Grandma's.

Update us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children