U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:34 PM

122 posts, read 97,851 times

Advertisements

My son who is 4 hasn't been diagnosed with it but he has every sign of it. I was diagnosed at 25 with it and since its genetic it seems to have passed on to him.Its a rough go of things but now that we know what it is its getting a little easier...he is supposed to start prek in September so going to get the school to help with getting him diagnosed and seeing what we can do for him.Just wondering if anyone else has an Aspergers child.If so anything you can share? It took them 25 years to diagnose me I was diagnosed with everything else ADHD,BiPolar etc etc but it was Aspergers the whole time..fortunately he seems smarter than I was but he is also more prone to hitting people and not listening than I did...I just hope he makes friends and gets through school unlike me. I was a loner and dropped out of school.He has the smarts he just isn't socially there..he loves other kids but doesn't know how to share or express that he doesn't want to share etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 02:42 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,847,139 times
Have you taken him somewhere for an official evaluation and possible diagnosis? I wouldn't bank on him probably having something you have because he's acting out. 4 years old is starting to get late in the game to get that diagnosed and start treatment. He's too old for free services, but the school is not going to help in an official diagnosis and won't be able to offer any services without a diagnosis, so you need to get an official evaluation ASAP.

My oldest son was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) at 18 months, and years of therapy and services has essentially saved his life. He's now 7 and in a mainstream classroom doing great. He would have never been able to do that without specialized and targeted therapy post diagnosis. He still has an IEP of course which is critical to measuring his success. No diagnosis = No IEP, services, therapy, etc..

Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM

We took him to a Pysch last year they said he was ADHD same thing they said about me.But reading up on aspergers and other autism related things it fits him to a T. We asked his pediatrician about it just yesterday she didn't know much so she made us an appt with her partner in her doctor's office who knows more about it.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:57 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,043,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanarchist View Post
My son who is 4 hasn't been diagnosed with it but he has every sign of it. I was diagnosed at 25 with it and since its genetic it seems to have passed on to him.Its a rough go of things but now that we know what it is its getting a little easier...he is supposed to start prek in September so going to get the school to help with getting him diagnosed and seeing what we can do for him.Just wondering if anyone else has an Aspergers child.If so anything you can share? It took them 25 years to diagnose me I was diagnosed with everything else ADHD,BiPolar etc etc but it was Aspergers the whole time..fortunately he seems smarter than I was but he is also more prone to hitting people and not listening than I did...I just hope he makes friends and gets through school unlike me. I was a loner and dropped out of school.He has the smarts he just isn't socially there..he loves other kids but doesn't know how to share or express that he doesn't want to share etc.
One of my children has PDD-NOS (and ADHD). His PDD-NOS presents very much like Asperger's, partly because he is high-functioning. He was first diagnosed with PDD-NOS at about 5 1/2 (ADHD at 4 1/2). Your son sounds similar to mine at 4. He is also very smart and does very well in school. But he is still learning about the social nuances, including monitoring his perception of social situations.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:08 PM

37,418 posts, read 46,261,010 times
Not to put too fine a point on it, but it isn't actually known whether or not ASDs are genetically passed on.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
One of my children has PDD-NOS (and ADHD). His PDD-NOS presents very much like Asperger's, partly because he is high-functioning. He was first diagnosed with PDD-NOS at about 5 1/2 (ADHD at 4 1/2). Your son sounds similar to mine at 4. He is also very smart and does very well in school. But he is still learning about the social nuances, including monitoring his perception of social situations.
What is PDD-NOS and did you just go to his pediatrician to get the diagnosis started? We have an appt with his pediatrician next week.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,385,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Have you taken him somewhere for an official evaluation and possible diagnosis? I wouldn't bank on him probably having something you have because he's acting out. 4 years old is starting to get late in the game to get that diagnosed and start treatment. He's too old for free services, but the school is not going to help in an official diagnosis and won't be able to offer any services without a diagnosis, so you need to get an official evaluation ASAP.

My oldest son was diagnosed with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) at 18 months, and years of therapy and services has essentially saved his life. He's now 7 and in a mainstream classroom doing great. He would have never been able to do that without specialized and targeted therapy post diagnosis. He still has an IEP of course which is critical to measuring his success. No diagnosis = No IEP, services, therapy, etc..
This is not my experience. My daughter does not have an official diagnosis, but both her doctor and her school have repeatedly told me that a diagnosis does not matter for school services, that they give her school services based on her needs, not her diagnosis. Her doctor wants to wait 1-2 more years before testing her for autism because she wants to use module 3, and my daughter's speech is not good enough for that yet. My daughter does have an IEP anyway though, and gets services including developmental day preschool, special education, and speech and physical therapy, despite not having a diagnosis at this time.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:40 PM

14,781 posts, read 38,589,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
This is not my experience. My daughter does not have an official diagnosis, but both her doctor and her school have repeatedly told me that a diagnosis does not matter for school services, that they give her school services based on her needs, not her diagnosis. Her doctor wants to wait 1-2 more years before testing her for autism because she wants to use module 3, and my daughter's speech is not good enough for that yet. My daughter does have an IEP anyway though, and gets services including developmental day preschool, special education, and speech and physical therapy, despite not having a diagnosis at this time.
Not mine as well. We could have gone to the school with a piece of paper from the doctor saying that our daughter had XYZ and it would not have made one iota of difference to the school. They do their own testing and evaluation and base any interventions, therapies, needs, etc. on their own testing and evaluations. A diagnosis can be helpful to them and becomes part of the file, but it is not needed to receive services through the school. However, a diagnosis may be beneficial in opening up additional resources outside of the school and/or having your medical insurance pay for therapies, assistance devices, etc.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:04 AM

16,482 posts, read 22,375,220 times
I have 3 sons that all have Aspergers. Don't rely on the school to evaluate/diagnose him. He should be taken to a child psychiatrist/psychologist that specializes in kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Once he has his diagnosis you will want to get an IEP done at the beginning of the school year.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:23 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,847,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
How old is your daughter? That is lunacy, 1-2 years of waiting can cost you decades down the road. The sooner you start therapy, the better, I recommend a second opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Not mine as well. We could have gone to the school with a piece of paper from the doctor saying that our daughter had XYZ and it would not have made one iota of difference to the school. They do their own testing and evaluation and base any interventions, therapies, needs, etc. on their own testing and evaluations. A diagnosis can be helpful to them and becomes part of the file, but it is not needed to receive services through the school. However, a diagnosis may be beneficial in opening up additional resources outside of the school and/or having your medical insurance pay for therapies, assistance devices, etc.
Your child may get special attention from good teachers that are paying attention, but no public school is offering dedicated one on one occupational or speech therapy because your kid has an undiagnosed condition. And you're certainly not getting an official IEP nor are you eligible for private sector services or grants for eligible private schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I have 3 sons that all have Aspergers. Don't rely on the school to evaluate/diagnose him. He should be taken to a child psychiatrist/psychologist that specializes in kids with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Once he has his diagnosis you will want to get an IEP done at the beginning of the school year.
The IEP is critical. My son has a team of therapists working with him outside his classroom several hours a week. His progress is closely monitored and we meet with the team of therapists and his teacher(s) several times throughout the year. That does not happen with an official diagnosis.

If you suspect your child has something as serious and debalitating as ASD or Aspergers, get it professionally evaluated for goodness sakes to ensure they are getting everything they need to succeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children