U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,233 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just found out that our 3 year old son has ADHD. To be honest its not a major surprise, I have ADHD and was raised in Northern Ireland in the 80s and 90s and its wasn't much fun.

Right now we live in LA and we have a small townhouse, its getting really tough with all 3 of us in such a small space. This has lead us to place the our on the market and we were looking to move to portland (My job is happy with me working remotely) but I get find any info on how good the schools are with kids who have ADHD, does anyone have any first hand experience? or can anyone recommend a state that has public schools that are good for kids who have ADHD.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 01:24 PM

16,691 posts, read 19,270,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkypixel View Post
My wife and I just found out that our 3 year old son has ADHD. To be honest its not a major surprise, I have ADHD and was raised in Northern Ireland in the 80s and 90s and its wasn't much fun.

Right now we live in LA and we have a small townhouse, its getting really tough with all 3 of us in such a small space. This has lead us to place the our on the market and we were looking to move to portland (My job is happy with me working remotely) but I get find any info on how good the schools are with kids who have ADHD, does anyone have any first hand experience? or can anyone recommend a state that has public schools that are good for kids who have ADHD.

Thanks
ADHD should not be dxed in a child this young. Many young children are very active, but do not have ADHD.

That said, a bigger house with a yard would probably be good and being near a park would probably also help. I'm not in the LA area, so I cannot speak to the schools there. My adhd granddaughter is doing very well here in a Houston suburban public school, but that involves the particular school (so far both elementary school and middle school have been good). Even within a district some schools will be better than others. You need to speak to other parents who live in your area.

You cannot go by state because individual districts will vary and even within districts individual schools will vary.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:45 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,555,335 times
I'm not in the US but I lived in Vancouver (similar to LA in terms of price and lack of space). We moved out to Montreal (so, similar climate to upstate NY) and now have a yard/pool. It's made a huge difference, as we find our son needs the extra space/activity to help control his impulses. And our other ("normal") son gets to benefit too, from the exercise and being reprieved from his brother's behaviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children