Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 01:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
HLB, I am NOT saying that this is similar to your story but I just wanted to point out that some parents have very unrealistic expectations of what public schools should do. This mom expected 1 or 2 teacher/therapists/staff with her child all day, everyday and NO other students in the classroom. She truly thought THAT was the normal preschool special education model.
Yeah that isn't me. Really, I have been through the ringer with schools since my kids were in preschool. And I try to be really nice, help out as much as I can to try to offset any extra work my kids are. I did get accused this year of not being transparent...but I had discussed everything with the previous principal, I didn't realize I needed to go over everything again. I also have a tendency to try to take everything on myself. And I have preferred to hire my own professionals over using the school's...which causes trouble with the kids leaving here and there for appointments (I don't know why...if the school was doing it, they would still be out of class and I always tried to time it so they weren't missing core work).

Its just enough to drive me totally crazy. But I am going to have advocates help me through the IEP process this time and cross the heck out of my fingers that things will get better from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
Quote:
Actually I know for a fact HISD will NOT even review outside testing or diagnoses.
That's very against IDEA. School districts need to consider outside information. They don't have to accept it or agree with it, but they need to consider it (review it).

Yes, I have seen kids with special needs being gently (and sometimes not so gently) led away from private schools. If they don't receive public funds, they don't have to serve special needs (or anyone they don't want to serve). Public school have to find another way to educate a child (e.g., alternative school, home tutoring) if the public school is not an appropriate setting.

As far as special services, there can be a big gap between what a parent or outside clinician feels a child should be getting and what a school feels a kid should be getting. Schools don't have to provide the optimal services for a child; they have to provide appropriate services. Sometimes there isn't agreement on what "appropriate" might be.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
That's very against IDEA. School districts need to consider outside information. They don't have to accept it or agree with it, but they need to consider it (review it).

Yes, I have seen kids with special needs being gently (and sometimes not so gently) led away from private schools. If they don't receive public funds, they don't have to serve special needs (or anyone they don't want to serve). Public school have to find another way to educate a child (e.g., alternative school, home tutoring) if the public school is not an appropriate setting.

As far as special services, there can be a big gap between what a parent or outside clinician feels a child should be getting and what a school feels a kid should be getting. Schools don't have to provide the optimal services for a child; they have to provide appropriate services. Sometimes there isn't agreement on what "appropriate" might be.
Actually the definition of appropriate may have changed with this court decision.

Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Special Education Student : NPR Ed : NPR

Quote:
School districts must give students with disabilities the chance to make meaningful, "appropriately ambitious" progress, the Supreme Court said Wednesday in an 8-0 ruling.

The decision in Endrew F. v. Douglas County School District could have far-reaching implications for the 6.5 million students with disabilities in the United States.
Quote:
The federal Individuals With Disabilities Education Act guarantees a "free appropriate public education" to all students with disabilities. Today's opinion held that "appropriate" goes further than what the lower courts had held.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:22 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,593,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually the definition of appropriate may have changed with this court decision.

Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Special Education Student : NPR Ed : NPR
That has nothing to do with this thread, or outside testing.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:51 AM

108 posts, read 389,608 times
We've had the same experience in our adventures in schooling. Public schools refusing to accept or even look at any of our outside testing even when it comes from top rated Children's Hospitals but yet not having the appropriate staff/resources to do their own. Getting pushed out of classrooms, public and private.

Currently we are at a very small, religious private school which was not my first choice but where I felt forced to. It has been working. It takes constant maintenance as his needs change but the school has been rising to the challenge. He became much more medically fragile last school year and was in a wheelchair most of the year in addition to missing many days. I have yearly meetings with the principal and his incoming teacher, working towards transparency, with the understanding that if he becomes too much of a burden, that we will leave. Every year I offer, and every year, they say they are happy to have him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children