Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,249,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDo0715 View Post
Is it sick in the head to need a quiet dark room to relax in??
No. And many children need to have relaxation facilitated not just through a place, but what goes in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:19 PM

25 posts, read 21,399 times
What type of sounds or music should go on inside this dark room to relax? Is it wierd on a bright sunny day if mom comes over and closes the door to the outside during relaxing time??

Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,890,804 times
No, it is not sick to want a quiet dark room to relax in. Anything that calms you is fine - it's up to you. No, it's not weird for your mom to close the door if that's what you want her to do.

Old 07-28-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, it is not sick to want a quiet dark room to relax in. Anything that calms you is fine - it's up to you. No, it's not weird for your mom to close the door if that's what you want her to do.
Thank you

Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,689,220 times
I responded before -

A fountain
A good sound system to play music or sounds
Herbs in pots around the fountain - A fan nearby to blow the smells around the room
Stuffed animals or pillows of different textures
Ceiling fans
Small fridge for drinks

Everyone needs a place that's quiet to decompress and think. Our world is a busy place and everyone needs a chance to recharge and come back refreshed. Everyone.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
What type of sounds or music should go on inside this dark room to relax? Is it wierd on a bright sunny day if mom comes over and closes the door to the outside during relaxing time??
Nope. The only thing that really matters is what works specifically to calm YOU. If that's quiet time with a closed door, regardless of the weather, you go with that.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:21 AM

yes everyone is right that being in a closed room is okay.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,088,664 times
Quote:
Should daylight be blocked from coming into the tranquil room?
Hi, I'm a high functioning mom with Autism of a 13 yr old who is profoundly Autistic.

I think this depends on YOU & how you feel about it. I find sunlight to be annoying. There is a time of day; late afternoon, when I find the sun's direction, color, intensity & angle to be actually infuriating.

My son fixated on our unusually rainy weather this summer & had a meltdown at exactly 6:40am every morning when it was NOT sunny.

I got a "SADD (seasonal affective depressive disorder) lamp" for him but we haven't tried it out yet.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:18 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,088,664 times
Quote:
yes everyone is right that being in a closed room is okay.
Does it bother you?

Sometimes, moms' don't know exactly what does bother somebody. You are good on a keyboard. Maybe you could write & tell your mom what does bother you or what does not.

I just found out that when people whistle or hum, that it bothers Luke a lot. I also just noticed that a lot of people like to whistle & hum when they are grocery shopping.

The first time he used a keyboard to write to me he said "I love you mom" but he's not ready yet to write something like "I can't stand whistling!"

You could try writing "I don't like to be shut in a closed room" if it bothers you.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Hi, I'm a high functioning mom with Autism of a 13 yr old who is profoundly Autistic.

I think this depends on YOU & how you feel about it. I find sunlight to be annoying. There is a time of day; late afternoon, when I find the sun's direction, color, intensity & angle to be actually infuriating.

My son fixated on our unusually rainy weather this summer & had a meltdown at exactly 6:40am every morning when it was NOT sunny.

I got a "SADD (seasonal affective depressive disorder) lamp" for him but we haven't tried it out yet.
The sunlight gives me a headache
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children