Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 07:18 PM

25 posts, read 21,412 times

Advertisements

Its a 250 square feet building in my parents backyard. The inside is painted sky blue with butterflies, rugs, bean bag chairs, a furton that turns into a bed. The inside of the door is sky blue with yellow streaks. There is heat inside but no air conditioning. How can i stay cool inthere when its hot outside?? There is also a sound system inthere with strobe lights, laser lights and a disco ball.There is also a soundtrack of rain drops and rain drops flashing on the walls when the room is dark. My loving mother comes inside this building and brings me snacks. For my convenience my mom also acts as an usher for the tranquil room. After my mom brings the snack she also brings blankets for me. My mom turns off the lights and turns on the raindrops My mom turns off the lights and turns on the raindrops soundtrack and turns on the flashing rain drops that flash on the walls while i lay on either the futon or bean bag chair. My mom closes the door when she leaves to keep out light and noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this room or building?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 PM

There is no windows inside this building. The reason why there are no windows is to keep it dark inthere.

When you close the door to the outside you cant see anything outside and no one from the outside can look in.

When I go inside this building for 2 hours my stress goes away. The darkness and rain drops and flashing lights makes me feel relaxed while sitting on the futon. Many people may think this is different.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
I suggest a fan for when it is hot assuming you have electrical outlets. Fans are often very soothing as white noise.

I think it is a great idea, but I would not like having no windows. This is very individual and if you like it, it is a wonderful thing.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I suggest a fan for when it is hot assuming you have electrical outlets. Fans are often very soothing as white noise.

I think it is a great idea, but I would not like having no windows. This is very individual and if you like it, it is a wonderful thing.
There is electrical outlets.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
That sounds like a very nice place.

Enjoy.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

One of those big metal shop fans. This sooths my autistic child sometimes when he is upset. It's quite loud and works great for white noise and also does a great job of cooling the room off.

Your room sounds great, I should do something similar for my son, except maybe add a wall that is full of numbers and letters, and some maps for the walls as well. Those are the things my son loves the best, besides daddy hugs.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:27 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
It sounds really nice, just add a fan that works for you.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Your mom sounds very caring, also.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:24 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YssM3BYlu4

Old 07-15-2017, 04:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDo0715 View Post
Its a 250 square feet building in my parents backyard. The inside is painted sky blue with butterflies, rugs, bean bag chairs, a furton that turns into a bed. The inside of the door is sky blue with yellow streaks. There is heat inside but no air conditioning. How can i stay cool inthere when its hot outside?? There is also a sound system inthere with strobe lights, laser lights and a disco ball.There is also a soundtrack of rain drops and rain drops flashing on the walls when the room is dark. My loving mother comes inside this building and brings me snacks. For my convenience my mom also acts as an usher for the tranquil room. After my mom brings the snack she also brings blankets for me. My mom turns off the lights and turns on the raindrops My mom turns off the lights and turns on the raindrops soundtrack and turns on the flashing rain drops that flash on the walls while i lay on either the futon or bean bag chair. My mom closes the door when she leaves to keep out light and noise.

Does anyone have any suggestions about this room or building?
Ditch the strobe lights....Those irritate the senses for anyone....I cannot imagine it being good for anyone who is looking for calming light.

How about those tiny little Christmas lights....not flashing on and off, simply lit. I see that they sell them online, and several places incl. Walmart. "fairy lights" Check them online and see if you think you'd like them.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=fairy+...&setlang=en-US

I have seen those "weighted blankets", supposed to be good for people whit ADHD, and sensory issues...not sure if they would comfort you the same way....there are many links and varying prices...here is just one link https://funandfunction.com/weighted-blanket.html

Make sure the snacks are not high sugar, or processed foods. This site seems focused on children....but there are some really good resources and tips for folks dealing with autism regardless of their age. https://www.autismspeaks.org/family-...ness/nutrition

Music should be soft and soothing.

Also consider aroma therapy....Lavender is very soothing....Essential Oils for Autism | And Next Comes L

All the links are simply to get you started on the ideas and suggestions.

Good luck to you going forward. It is wonderful that you are so proactive about your own needs. Shows that your Mom/parents have educated you along the way. I have attempted to do that with my son also....I feel it does make a big difference.

Update with what ideas help so others may benefit as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children