Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,867 times

Advertisements

My name is Natasha and I am in a research methods class. I am currently trying to gain participants for my survey. It takes about 5 minutes and is completely anonymous and confidential since we are looking at group responses over individual responses. It would help so much if you could spare some time to fill it out. We are trying to gain opinions on whether these separate classrooms help or hinder the success of individuals with developmental disabilities. If you know someone, or if you are someone, who has a developmental disability please consider filling this out. We need this kind of research to better understand what works best. Thank you!

[url]https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeFU_9cIm2gy2CSF5AvOlmyKf6Z74-3c08ac8wWtsELNGVt6A/viewform[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 08:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
The problem with this is that it is different for different children. There is no one best classroom for children with developmental disabilities. It will depend on each child's needs.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:39 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,439,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with this is that it is different for different children. There is no one best classroom for children with developmental disabilities. It will depend on each child's needs.
That's what I was thinking. Even if they have separate rooms per illness, doesn't mean they'll get along better. They're humans. I think everyone just needs to learn to deal with differences better myself.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:19 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,011,384 times
I'd check it out but I couldn't get the link to work.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:30 AM

147 posts, read 89,329 times
Resource room is slower paced classroom with a special ed teacher and teacher's aide. This scenario is better for ones who can't focus enough to function in general ed or learn at a slower pace than gen ed. To the level that the child functions in the gen ed classroom, then the gen ed classroom is better for THAT child. It's not a one size fits all for all special needs children.

The resource room, while a necessity for some, can become somewhat of a crutch. That is why it's important to keep send them back to gen ed, as soon as they are ready to do so. They might have an issue with whatever, but if they know the expectation is no hand holding, then they can learn better to cope with their issue. Other kids might decide they will need hand holding forever, which isn't the goal of Sp Ed.

If by developmental disability, you mean, a child whose needs can't be met in the resource room, then yes, I believe they are good in there. There is no point in them going to a gen ed classroom. They would be lost in there and not be able to work on improving their skills. You can't teach a child at a certain development level to write an essay on the Boston Tea Party. It's better for them to learn what is tea and how to hold a cup. Help them navigate life to the extent they are able to.

Last edited by Iwanttocamp; 11-10-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children