Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:49 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,923 times

Advertisements

And technically he is until the attorney/judge gets off their a$$es and gets the legal guardianship process rolling.

Patrick is 18 and if you know him, he is clearly incapable of making decisions for himself. A few months ago, one of his special needs teachers stated in his IEP that he needed to continue working on his communication skills. He read this. And he's had a bug up his butt about it for months with no ability to understand that he needs to work on his communication skills. He believed he no longer needs school/Voc-rehab and he was ready to take on the world. And he's just not.

Just yesterday, a neighbor told us that a year or so ago, he was walking down the street and they spoke (not being familiar with each other in the least) and he blurted out that he had an unusually high sex drive. Seriously. Does this sound like a young man that understands the nuances of communication? He doesn't even understand what a sex drive is.

<long and loud sigh>

Out of school for the summer, he didn't have much to do. His mostly absent, disconnected, but otherwise "seemingly" decent-guy dad lost a close relative and it came up that Patrick could stay with his dad for a week or two and work at their old-school, family-owned hardware store in Jacksonville, Florida. It was a surprise to us as he had lived with his GF for years and mostly denied opportunities to see either of his kids EVEN WHEN WE OFFERED TO DROP THEM OFF. I would have bet a year's salary that this would not have lasted a week.

I guess we should have known better. We are talking about a man that had two boys yet moved into his GF's two-bedroom house who's son occupied the second bedroom. That's on us. JP doesn't even have a bed now. He sleeps on an air mattress.

Long story short, Patrick's dad decided that his son did not require the medication, exercise, and art therapy that his doctor prescribed/recommended. Patrick's dad decided that he did not need a guardian as he could make decisions for himself. Patrick's dad decided that all his son needs is to work at their old-school, family hardware store in Jacksonville, FL 40-50 hours a week (without paying him minimum wage I should add) because it gives him a "sense of purpose".

Unfortunately, Patrick is eating this up because he is now an "Emancipated adult that can make his own decisions" despite not being able to drive, or understand the terms of service of a checking account without a legal guardian or engage in appropriate conversation, or have a conversation with family without be coached by his dad or dad's GF, and so on and so on.

This is killing my wife. She sacrificed everything for Patrick to have as many opportunities as possible. And at this point, he has probably missed his opportunity to continue in Voc-rehab and weight-lifting classes through his extended education at home. She's trying to take the "high road" but I feel very strongly that his dad is neglecting his needs and possibly exploiting his son's disability and I want him reported to DCF.

This is really just pi$$ing me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Is there a question in your rant?

Old 07-30-2019, 08:36 PM

I'm open to constructive connects, but mostly just blowing off steam.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I'm open to constructive connects, but mostly just blowing off steam.
You probably already know all this, but if not, something may help:

https://www.verywellhealth.com/guard...autism-4165687

Autism Speaks has a financial planning toolkit here:
https://www.autismspeaks.org/tool-ki...onservatorship

I am not sure though that filing now will get you what you need because he is already 18 and if he objects, I am not sure what the judge will do. Also, will his father object as well?

Old 07-31-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

I am not sure though that filing now will get you what you need because he is already 18 and if he objects, I am not sure what the judge will do. Also, will his father object as well?
My wife filed when he turned 18 (legally could not file beforehand). We are waiting on the guardian ad-litem appointment. I am confident that my wife will be awarded guardianship of Patrick. His father objects, but has stated via text that they do not want guardianship. They believe he does not need it. I do think they hired an attorney for Patrick to fight guardianship but it will still require an independent evaluation. I don't believe that any objective professional would evaluate Patrick and determine that he was capable of taking care of himself. Not even close. He is NOT cognitively high-functioning.

In the meantime, they have convinced Patrick that he is fully independent, convinced him that we are going to kidnap him and that he might have to "go off the grid", he is not on his medication and he won't even talk to his mother.

His mother is the sweetest, most loving and dedicated person I have ever known. Her dedication to Patrick has brought from banging his head against walls, running outside naked, being non-verbal to where he is now. He could manage in an assisted-living environment, but not in one that ignores his disability ultimately denying continued treatment.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

We received some very good news today regarding this process. I will update after the process is completed.

Thanks for letting me vent here.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:32 PM

Things did not go as they should have and I am not going to go into detail, but... heed these words.

If you believe your soon to be 18-year-old will require a legal guardian, begin the process as early as your state allows. Then once the process begins, do not let your child out of your site until the process is over.

This is especially important when then parents are divorced.

You do not want your special needs child to be in an unprotected environment.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:58 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I was interested in how this would turn out, and sad to hear it went very badly.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:32 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,716,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Things did not go as they should have and I am not going to go into detail, but... heed these words.

If you believe your soon to be 18-year-old will require a legal guardian, begin the process as early as your state allows. Then once the process begins, do not let your child out of your site until the process is over.

This is especially important when then parents are divorced.

You do not want your special needs child to be in an unprotected environment.
Thanks for posting this and sorry about your outcome. We have 3 special needs grandchildren, not sure that any of them will be able to survive without a guardian once they're 18.

I think extended family members just don't understand it, most have great intentions. They think no medications and regular upbringing methods will work. I thought so at first too, but learned quickly that I was wrong. Hope your wife is doing okay.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:03 PM

Time for an update.

The final hearing was held on 1/30/20.

The guardian ad litem established three things:

1) That he had only spoken to my wife's 18-year-old autistic son twice and only moments before each hearing.
2) That he was under the impression that the son opposed guardianship UNTIL the morning before the final hearing.
3) That his recommendation was, "I don't have an answer".

The judge appointed my wife guardianship of her son with oversight over his health, education, and finances. However, with these caveats:

1) That she would consider my wife applying for his disability benefits an "aggressive move against him" and that there are too many people "on the dole".
2) That my wife's son has made remarkable progress since the last hearing (based literally on 15-20 total minutes of facetime) and that if his physician of 15 years (one of the world's most respected experts in spectrum disorders) did not see that progress that she should be evaluated.

To date, my wife has filed complaints against the guardian ad litem with the State Bar of Georgia, as he is a practicing real estate attorney and against the probate court judge, Georgia Judicial Qualifications Commission, for judicial misconduct for denying her son due process to apply for disability benefits.

I have made the following public comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuTrn6p652E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children