U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:45 PM

29,214 posts, read 52,337,169 times

Advertisements

As autism organizations and medical professionals alike voice their outrage at inflammatory comments made by controversial talk radio host Michael Savage about most autistic children simply being "brats," the head of the network that employs him appears to be taking measures to pull out of a public relations tailspin.

Savage, who in the past has taken aim at the legitimacy of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and other behavioral disorders, called autism a "fraud" and a "racket" during his broadcast July16, adding that "[i]n 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out."

ABC News: Savage's Quips Enrage Autism Community
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:19 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,239,146 times
I found a list of his sponsors on a blogger's website. Money talks. Sponsors walk. Apparently, one has already withdrawn support for the show. If you care, email:

Digital Media Inc., U.S.A.: Digital Media inc. World Class Quality Prepress and Color Reproduction
Nevada State Corporate Network, Inc.: Nevada Corporations, NV Corporations, Incorporation Services-Nevada State Corporate Network
Roger Schlesinger, the Mortgage Minute Guy: Roger Schlesinger
Townhall.com: http://www.townhall.com
Effectur: (Google) Tax Resolution
Geico: GEICO Car Insurance. Get an auto insurance quote and save today. Free online motorcycle quotes as well. - geico.com
Home Depot: Contact Us
Wachovia: Wachovia - Personal Finance and Business Financial Services
Gold Bond: Welcome to Gold Bond.com
FreshStart America: Fresh Start America - credit card debt relief and bankruptcy alternatives
Heritage Foundation: The Heritage Foundation
Breakpoint: BreakPoint.org - Prison Fellowship
Debt Consultants of America (snail mail and phone number listings): Dallas.com: Debt Consultants of America Incorporated
DirectBuy: DirectBuy, The #1 Way To Buy Direct
WebEx: WebEx: Web Conferencing, Web Meeting, Video Conference, Online Meeting Services

Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 PM

1,989 posts, read 4,239,146 times
Update, more sponsors are dropping the show. Keep those emails and phone calls coming.

"Among the advertisers who will discontinue their support of the show are Sears, Radio Shack, AFLAC (http://www.newsday.com/topic/economy-business-finance/aflac-incorporated-ORCRP000357.topic - broken link), Direct Buy and Home Depot (http://www.newsday.com/topic/economy-business-finance/home-depot-incorporated-ORCRP007365.topic - broken link), according to Autism United. Several stations are also believed to have dropped the show -- or will drop it."

Autism group: Advertisers dropping Savage -- Newsday.com (broken link)

Old 07-30-2008, 05:40 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,680,650 times
Why do you want to silence someone that has a different opinion than yours? Bizarre. Just don't listen if you don't like him. I don't like him and DON'T LISTEN.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:28 AM

14,485 posts, read 19,409,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Why do you want to silence someone that has a different opinion than yours? Bizarre. Just don't listen if you don't like him. I don't like him and DON'T LISTEN.
Saying that a DISEASE that millions of people and their families struggle to deal with is not just a different opinion. A difference of opinion would be Savage saying that George Bush is awesome. What he said was the equivalent of saying that people with cancer are just whiners with nothing wrong with them.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 PM

910 posts, read 2,822,492 times
Elmo, does your child have autism? I'm thinking maybe not. I'm a very strong headed person and usually would say the same thing you just did, if you dont like it turn it off.

But, in this case, as a parent of a child with autism, a parent that has had their whole world taken over and turned upside down by this terrible disease, was horrified and offended by what he said. Ignorant and stupid remarks and can be ignored only to a certain extent.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:43 AM

22,973 posts, read 25,248,235 times
I happen to like Savage but as a parent of an aspie child was not pleased with what he's said.
That being said everyone sticks their foot in it at some point especially people who speak in front of big groups frequently. I'll give him this once but will definately have a problem if it becomes a regular theme.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:55 PM

8,729 posts, read 6,483,138 times
In my opinion there is an element of truth in what he said though he could have stated it better, if he even meant what I thought him to mean.

Way too many parents are pushing this autism thing, autism is starting to be a free cop out for parents that do not want to discipline their kids or just have problematic kids and looking for excuses for it. Autism diagnosis are starting to be like the antibiotic treatment doctors give patients just to get them to shut up.

Not saying there are not people with real autism, its just that many are wanting to use the situation to selfishly promote their own agenda.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:56 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,214,687 times
I think he worded it incorrectly or too harshly. But...I kinda see what he MIGHT have meant, and it's along the lines of what the poster k350 said.

I understand there are parents of children with autism. And parents of children with ADHD. I am a mother of a child with ADHD. I am also a teacher so I am around other children that have been diagnosed as ADHD.

My child knows that he better behave where he's supposed to and when he doesn't....because we do have some issues with his behavior in school....he has consequences. I NEVER make the excuse that he has ADHD so that's why he misbehaves and we just have to deal with it and work around him....no. He's not dumb. He knows. It may be harder for him, but he knows the rules.

But I have seen parents that do not discipline their child and try to use the ADHD as an excuse....many parents. I have seen one child have an awful day at school with me as a teacher...and I am given problematic children purposefully because 1- I do try to work with them and find what works and 2- they know I have a child along the lines as these children (no, I don't think it's fair, but if it's best for the children to be with me...)....so anyway, horrible day at school...the next day she comes in with cookie money and talking about how she went to the movies the night before.......hello!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:59 AM

6,882 posts, read 19,389,510 times
My child has autism AND I don't like Michael Savage. I quit listening to him a couple of years ago because he is so angry and hateful. However, I am in partial agreement with what k350 said.

Savage still needs to get a clue though. He can come spend a weekend with my daughter and we'll see what he thinks about her being a brat... LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children