U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 08:52 AM

134 posts, read 547,097 times

Advertisements

My daughtler has all the signs of ADHD she has already been to the doctor she also had a blood test for part of ADHD now we just sent the paper work in to their doctor to see about seeing someone . through the school she has someone try to help her focus on school.i am very concern about her . what i want to know is dose it get worse and also did you have to change your childs diet .i am also open for any sugestions on child with ADHD.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 06:18 PM

603 posts, read 2,173,169 times
I'll preface my answer by saying that I'm a special ed teacher, not the parent of an ADHD child. As children get older, they get better at using coping skills and managing their ADHD. I've seen ADHD children test out of special ed in high school because they can control their attention span and behavior without medication. On the other hand, I've seen children that reached high school without learning coping skills and, thus, had developed academic deficits and/or behavior problems that required they be in resource classes. I've heard good arguments for changing diets. Research has been done on the subject. My suggestion for school is this: make sure she is getting the modifications and accommodations stated in her IEP. If you discover something that works for her, let her teachers know (and make sure it is a modification in her next IEP). Make sure your daughter knows that ADHD may be a condition she has, but it is not an excuse. I tell my students (who call themselves retarded) that they have normal IQs and are as smart as anyone else (maybe smarter), but that they may have to work a little harder to get their work done. I tell them that my job is to help them find coping skills to help them get around the ADHD so they can be successful. Students that buy into that speech are hardworking and successful. On a personal note, I tell my students that I have always struggled with my attention. I have read an entire chapter to realize that I was planning my grocery list and have no idea what I was reading (I usually hear, "I do that too!") They see a successful adult who has had the same struggles and realize that maybe they aren't retarded (which, of course, they aren't). I hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:01 PM

thank you for what have to say her teacher has a behavier plan on her iep plan the her has said that when she dose do her work she is smart but she has alot of troubles with staying on focas and she has to move her hands all the time sqirms her seat and leaves her seat she also dont get along with other peers in her class i could keep going on what she dose

Old 09-21-2008, 05:29 AM

603 posts, read 2,173,169 times
I've had students who carried those squishy squeeze balls with them. The IEP stated that they were allowed to squeeze the squishy balls when they were feeling fidgety. It helped. I also seat students who have trouble sitting down in a location where they can stand without disrupting the rest of the class. My students are allowed to stand as long as they don't move around the room and disrupt others. These students are also the ones that get my "moving around" jobs like passing out papers.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 AM

she disrupt the class alot.they give her a sticker each time she behaves her self which i notice she hasnt been getting that often maybe once in awhile she will get a sticker . she has told me she cant help it. thats why i want to get the help for her so it will help her at home and at school .she has kids from school always teasing her too .she not in a specail ed class all day she in a main stream class mosty . her special ed teacer comes in her class and works with her for maybe 30 minutes at the most she also has a helper sit nexit to her in for half a day to work with her theres been alot of times she will refuse to work with her helper

Old 09-21-2008, 07:44 AM

22,959 posts, read 23,888,223 times
As the parent of an ADD w/HD kid I would suggest having your child evaluated by a Neuro Phsychiatrist if you can to be sure you're just dealing with ADD /HD. As they learn more about the varying things that go along with ADD they're finding more children that also have Autism spectrum issues. We didn't know about any of this until our son was 16 and that's a little late to effectively deal with some of the issues. Had we known years ago we could have made many adjustments that would have helped him immensely.
I also suggest you look for any advocate groups in your area that can help guide you through the maze of laws called IDEA. I've yet to find a school that will tell you about or do all that's legally required unless you KNOW what is required and push them to do it.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:32 PM

12 posts, read 45,377 times
I notice with my ADHD kids that taking food items out of the diet did not change behavior. I was convinced after searching that red dye 40 was a factor but it really wasn't. Same thing with sugar. My kids get lots of dyes and sugars when there is a special occassion. It is the occassion that gets them rowdy, not the food.

Lack of protein does seem to coincide with increased behavior issues.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkOk View Post
I notice with my ADHD kids that taking food items out of the diet did not change behavior. I was convinced after searching that red dye 40 was a factor but it really wasn't. Same thing with sugar. My kids get lots of dyes and sugars when there is a special occassion. It is the occassion that gets them rowdy, not the food.

Lack of protein does seem to coincide with increased behavior issues.
Food does not always control behavior, like his doctor told us it's trial and error. One school of thought is alergies like to gluten,milk etc. Another is dye,sugar etc. While healthy eating is good to do no matter if it helps with the ADD or not it may or may not help the condition.
We noticed our son had really apperent reactions to dyes up until he was about 15 and it ended just as I was allergic to chocolate until I was about 10. Over Stimulation is almost always a trigger but there may be many other "environmental" ones that take a lot of time to figure out.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:07 PM

another thing she dose when im trying to talk to her is she make strange facial expressions and she dosnt realize she doing it she dosent have any troubles with sleeping at night her teacher is also saying she been having alot troubles at school with making friend she only has one friend which is also a concern to me. she has troubles with her hand writing skills .

Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vergla View Post
another thing she dose when im trying to talk to her is she make strange facial expressions and she dosnt realize she doing it she dosent have any troubles with sleeping at night her teacher is also saying she been having alot troubles at school with making friend she only has one friend which is also a concern to me. she has troubles with her hand writing skills .
Sounds alot like my Aspergers son...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children