Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 PM

35 posts, read 101,433 times

Advertisements

i'm a foster carer to 2 boys both special schooled'no diagnosis yet.12 yr old does lots of hiding under his coat/ playing with hands/repetative noises/head banging especially when we are out as he finds busy places difficult(especially supermarkets) because of their background,it's most likely attachment issues.he's recently started to try to interact with peers but his opener is 'are you in foster care too' which leaves most most teenagers stumped.
i've had good and bad experiences when out...from he needs a good smack to youre doing a good job,can i help at all( he was throwing stuff of shelves and i was trying to walk him outside without huting him) i wish i knew teamteach skills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 08:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I have Asperger's (26 yr old guy) and I prefer living in those bohemian "counter culture" areas due to there high tolerance for people that are a bit on the eccentric end. I also did good in my school years when in rural or middle working class areas but I was absolutely tormented in suburban middle & high schools

Old 05-16-2009, 03:52 PM

375 posts, read 912,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have Asperger's (26 yr old guy) and I prefer living in those bohemian "counter culture" areas due to there high tolerance for people that are a bit on the eccentric end. I also did good in my school years when in rural or middle working class areas but I was absolutely tormented in suburban middle & high schools
Interesting insight! I have a 15 y,.o. recently diagnosed but I have been aware of the situation as the diagnosis seemed to "fit" before. We moved so I could find a better school setting for him, but am reconsidering the move as he is once again failing and having lots of anxiety. What was your experience in HS? I am considering all of my options -- from homeschooling to taking GED to small Aspergers specialized school. Would love your input as you have personally gone through it!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
Interesting insight! I have a 15 y,.o. recently diagnosed but I have been aware of the situation as the diagnosis seemed to "fit" before. We moved so I could find a better school setting for him, but am reconsidering the move as he is once again failing and having lots of anxiety. What was your experience in HS? I am considering all of my options -- from homeschooling to taking GED to small Aspergers specialized school. Would love your input as you have personally gone through it!
We did the GED thing for my step kid. His life got easier after that, as school is a major obstacle for those kids. Get that out of the way and things get easier. The special schools are expensive, but do work sometimes, but not always. Aspergers is a lifelong problem for them. School is probably their biggest hurtle imho so far

Old 05-17-2009, 11:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
To the parents of kids with autism/aspergers:

Do you feel there is bigotry against people with autism? I live in Suburban Philly and have aspergers and the people here are horrible. What's your take?
Because when it manifests itself, it's indistinguishable from plain old bratty behavior. In one circumstance, the parent can't help it. In the other circumstance, the parent can. And, unless you hang a sign around his neck that says, "He can't help it," then it will be an ongoing issue.

Old 05-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachaelb View Post
I've check this sub forum in a while, sorry for the delayed response

I did really great in several elementary schools where you was with the same teacher for one year. In middle school not only does it switch to a different teacher for each class format, but the school district expands to include very affluent neighborhoods where the kids think they are much more important than every else. The things I went through including everything from being put in a choke hold, being thrown on the floor and kicked, verb assaults, and even have being told that my mom died of "butthole cancer" - she died of colon cancer when I was 11. Because I was new to the area and didn't have any longtime friends it was always me alone trying to fight off 10 people, and that's never a fair fight.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:26 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
Special Education is good for those kids even in Middle And High School as they only have one teacher and a few assistants.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 AM

375 posts, read 912,779 times
Quote:
I've check this sub forum in a while, sorry for the delayed response

I did really great in several elementary schools where you was with the same teacher for one year. In middle school not only does it switch to a different teacher for each class format, but the school district expands to include very affluent neighborhoods where the kids think they are much more important than every else. The things I went through including everything from being put in a choke hold, being thrown on the floor and kicked, verb assaults, and even have being told that my mom died of "butthole cancer" - she died of colon cancer when I was 11. Because I was new to the area and didn't have any longtime friends it was always me alone trying to fight off 10 people, and that's never a fair fight.
I think you have a lot of wonderful insight you could share w/others, as I haven't heard this aspect discussed before. I do agree with you regarding having to change classes - that's when my son started having some real issues as well. I appreciate your post and I think others probably do as well. I am looking at all of my options as it seems that there is no "cut and dry" way to handle students who have this. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
My son went to a school like that - plenty of poor performers which may have helped him in some ways. He was put in special ed, then moved to the gifted program, but he really didn't fit anywhere as far as the classroom. He would "zone out" teachers, didn't feel any need to please by doing drills and homework. They tested him and he was all over the place -- lower than grade level in English, way below in penmanship, but well above grade level for science and math.

We're not a very social family so he wasn't pushed in that way at all. He had no desire to play team sports or sports. He had no friends at all until age 15 when he began to make a few. He had no interest in parties. He would go but would be off to the side, checking the strobe light wiring or whatever, not socializing.

The only time he misbehaved was when in a crowd where he would act very strange, hiding, darting behind things -- you could almost think he was trying to be noticed but it was something different -- freaking out with more than a few strangers around. Not shouting or loud, just acting bizarre. Or when visiting and walking through a city, he would say "I hate the city, I hate the city, I hate the city" over and over, non stop and act strange, until brought back to familiar surroundings or a campsite in the woods where he would revert back to well-behaved and happy.

Even in the home with family he's always preferred to sit in the garage alone taking things apart, or in his room. He obsesses over how something works, and also likes gardening but only tomatoes. Peer pressure is a meaningless concept to him. After age 15, he began to develop a few friendships, has gone to parties but usually leaves early. Now at age 19, he says he told some friends he has a social phobia which they laughed and said "you're just now realizing that!?" He's always been happy enough - easy going as long as he's left alone. He doesn't flip out now like he did when he was little when in a crowded place but he doesn't gravitate to those either.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:56 PM

I've been reading an excellent book about a young man w/ high function autism (it's called succeeding w/ autism by Judith Cohen) and it is almost scary how similar his experience was with mine, despite our very different family structures. He had both a father & mother while I my father died when I was 6 mos old (he was a wife beating alcoholic anyway) and my mother died when I was 11, I was afterward raised by my two oldest sisters (who are 20 yrs older than me), yet the similarities are endless.

Among them...

* Extremely picky eater before age 10. He would only eat bagels & cream cheese, I'd only eat milk shakes & macaroni & cheese. Any problem w/ texture, temperature, or look of food meant it was not eaten

* Would freak out as a toddler at any movie, esp at a theater. I was so traumatized by several movies I became physically sick (they were beetle juice, Fival, & Old Yeller)

* Developed intense jealousy of younger sibling (actually for me it was my 2 yrs younger nephew)

* Issues with suicidal thoughts before age 13

* Despite frugal living, trouble managing money (esp. eating out too much) & paying bills on time

* Considered to have incredible sense of humor and yet equally horrible tantrums (the latter were grew out of by late teens)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children