U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 03:01 PM

3,133 posts, read 4,090,500 times

Advertisements

To the parents of kids with autism/aspergers:

Do you feel there is bigotry against people with autism? I live in Suburban Philly and have aspergers and the people here are horrible. What's your take?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 03:11 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,612,406 times
It's the whole "War on Autism" mentality.
Throw in Jenny McCarthy and everybody else who's made autism the Flavor of the Week, and...well... here we are.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:33 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,622,159 times
Sorry to hear that OP... my son is a little young for me to really determine but so far it hasn't been a problem of magnitude. Sure we've run across difficulties but no one has been incredibly horrible. It's different experiences for everyone, I imagine.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:00 PM

71 posts, read 188,268 times
My 5 year old son was just diagnosed with Asperger's, and I haven't noticed any bigotry or discrimination against him or us. The only thing that I've noticed is people rolling their eyes or making comments to their friends when he has a melt-down in public. I am curious to see how people react as he gets older.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:31 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,872,070 times
I don't think I've seen any bigotry over DSS's ASD. Our school has an autism co-ordinator and at church he's in with all the other kids. Now, if you're asking about in public, being stared at or pointed at. I don't think that has anything to do with the publicity autism is getting, that has to do with poor upbringing. A child (who doesn't know any better) will naturally be curious about a person who behaves oddly. It is up to the parents to teach their children compassion and understanding.

I am not a meek person. If I felt that DSS were being discriminated against due to his ASD, I wouldn't feel nervous about going to the source and get more info. Not all discrimination has to do with meanness. Sometimes there is a concern about the child/safety. When DSS went to his first sleep away camp, there were some concerns. DSS had never been to camp, and the councelors were concerned as to what to do if he were to have a meltdown. I met with them and explained how we "talk him down". This discrimination was for DSS's benefit. If the councelors didn't have the proper info and DSS were to have a meltdown, camp may have become a very negative experience and DSS would withdraw. We are working hard to build his confidence.

As for the future, time will tell. I'm sure there DSS will be pushed aside in his career because his personality is not one of a go-getter. But is that to do with his ASD or his personality?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,125,291 times
The only discrimination (from adults) we've run into with our 17 yr old so far has been from people who don't believe the condition exists, but then they don't believe ADHD exists either. They usually ascribe our son's actions to bad parenting or a bad kid who doesn't want to try.
The other situation which I don't know if you could classify as discrimination is the lack of interest and follow through ( or flat out refusal) when it comes to schooling and IEP/504's.
His peers on the other hand have discriminated against him since 1st grade with verbal and physical attacks and unfortunately that's how kids are especially when the schools and parents turn a blind eye with the usual "boys will be boys".

Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,448,899 times
The only problem so far with is one mother down the street from us...when she thought my son did something she considered odd, or different from her boys who are the same age, he and I both got her "look" but she never said anything. It made me uncomfortable and I tended her avoid her because of it. This was before the dx of Asperger's. When I told her about the dx, she was surprisingly nice about it. We'll see if we still get the look, because the next time I see it, she'll be hearing about it!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,222,319 times
My biggest discriminator is my hubby who wants to deny his son has AS! I get a lot of looks anyways because we have 5 children so I do not pay attention anymore to people.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 PM

12,975 posts, read 2,984,582 times
Yes...I have noticed that my daughter is not tolerated well by "some" out in the community. My daughters obsessive interests in plants and our pets sets her apart in conversation as she is not able to comfortably shift topics to have a natural conversation. Some people do not have patience for this. She does not have "close" friends, but desires to have meaningful relationships. It is sad because she truly has a good heart. It is so difficult for individuals with aspergers fitting in although they truly seek the company of others. She doesn't always know that her appearance is unkept at times...and needs lots of guidance. However, she feels she looks fine. She doesn't see herself as different, so she isn't able to change her approaches and I am constantly using non verbal cues to redirect her. Oh...btw...she is 21 so is now a young adult. Emotionally, she is on the level of an adolescent I would say.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:38 PM

8 posts, read 28,911 times
18 yr old step-son with very similar atributes, MistyVT. That has to be the most frustrating part. You can't TELL someone there is a problem, you can't FORCE understanding, and I have learned that reacting in frustration only makes things worse. My deepest worry is that his mother is still deep in denial, as in the past 4 years, I have seen the lad regress and the issues are only magnifying as he gets older. I feel like an innocent by-stander caught up in a relationship chaulk full of mental disorders, that I have absolutely no clue on how to deal with, without going mental myself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children