U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,938 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever tried "The Diet," for their child with autism? Any advice?

Last edited by Bo; 06-22-2009 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Moved from El Paso forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 AM

5,949 posts, read 14,226,026 times
Default Not much help in this forum....

A quick search on Google yields tons of information/advice/diets. Moderator cut: orphaned

Regards

Last edited by Bo; 06-22-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: orphaned - your suggestion to move the thread was orphaned by the move to another forum

Old 06-22-2009, 07:46 PM

220 posts, read 617,307 times
I worked for a dr that does autism research- I saw many new patients whose behaviors were out of this world prior to starting the diet and then once on the diet to see those behaviors lessen tremendously.
I would also recommend having a SAGE allergy test done as well as toxin levels tested.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:06 AM

467 posts, read 928,360 times
how can they determine that so young?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:48 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,394,631 times
Is "The Diet" a specific diet or do you mean the GFCF diet? I know someone who went GFCF many months ago and has noticed changes - but she also is using DAN! protocol with a doctor, with many other meds/supplements in addition to the diet, plus the child is in a developmental preschool as well.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:25 PM

37,414 posts, read 49,355,266 times
I suspect you'll see more benefits from the ABA alluded to in your screenname than from a GFCF diet, but that's just one person's opinion.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM

3,090 posts, read 3,773,575 times
Yes, if gluten and casein are a part or all of the problems causing the autism in your child. I put my visually impaired, diagnosed autistic daughter on it as one of the stones I turned over with great results, but not the same results as others. She had a few other food allergies, and we eliminated those as well, and put her on enzymes with amazing results. Now, at the age of 16, she eats gluten occasionally with no problems. The etiology of autism is a varied and different as each of our precious children. Lots of stones turned over to find the right fit.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:22 PM

13 posts, read 24,375 times
The benefits that any child with autism can gain from a GFCF diet is as individual as any other part of his/her treatment plan and from my experience vacillates from no change at all to somewhere short of miraculous.
My daughter is 16 and we experimented from time to time and have gone from the extreme of with holding all gluten and casein to simply moderating it paired with Trienza (a specially formulated enzyme created by Dr. Houston); in our case (because there are always so many variables and it is difficult to discern just where improvement stems from) I have to say though that with everything we have tried this is the most beneficial plan fr my daughter. The enzymes are specially formulated to break down gluten and casein in ways that other enzymes do not, therefore my daughter is able to eat a diet with a moderate amount of gluten and casein and it does not bother her. The best approach though is to introduce things one at a time and keep accurate data; most GF/CF diets have a "how to" section in them. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 22,842 times
I work withchildren using ABA, and have a lot of experience with children on the spectrum who have been helped by a GFCF diet. SOme children even need to be on a a soy free diet as well. The diet does not help all children however, and it isn't a cure all by an means. One child, in particular, that I worked with reacted exceptionally well to the diet. He was more focused and his problem behaviors decreased. Whenever he had a break in his diet by accident, we knew even before his mom told us!! Another child I worked with did not have any noticable differences. DAN! Doctors can help and most likely they will suggest vitamins, and enzymes. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 08:07 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,839,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelina13 View Post
I work withchildren using ABA, and have a lot of experience with children on the spectrum who have been helped by a GFCF diet. SOme children even need to be on a a soy free diet as well. The diet does not help all children however, and it isn't a cure all by an means. One child, in particular, that I worked with reacted exceptionally well to the diet. He was more focused and his problem behaviors decreased. Whenever he had a break in his diet by accident, we knew even before his mom told us!! Another child I worked with did not have any noticable differences. DAN! Doctors can help and most likely they will suggest vitamins, and enzymes. GOOD LUCK!!!
Bear in mind that DAN! made Quackwatch's list of questionable treatments.

As with any "condition of the week" (adhd, depression, dissociative disorders, erectile dysfunction), autism spectrum disorders attract "cures" like flies to honey. Some of them are better than others, some are harmless, and some are downright dangerous. Unfortunately, as parents of small autistic people, we tend to be attracted to anything that offers hope of a successful future for the people we love, and sometimes people will grasp onto any damfool thing that's offered.
As long as you keep it nutritionally balanced and don't deprive your child of something he needs to grow normally, a diet's probably not going to hurt him, whether or not it helps. If nothing else, you feel like you're doing something useful in between waiting for therapy appointments and visits to the developmental neurologist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children