U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM

10 posts, read 25,628 times

Advertisements

“Peas and Carrots” … “Cookies and Milk”… “Intelligence and Emotional IQ”

Two different things…both, just great on their own…but combine them…and it’s “Oh, so good!” Why? Because they are compliments of each other., and together, they individually become enhanced.
So what about intelligence, and can it stand alone, if it only goes as far as “Head Knowledge” Certainly, it can…as we have all known brilliant minds that have accomplished much in the way of humanity, technology, medicine, ect., and these individuals will go down in our history books as the “Great Minds” of our society.
And yet, in a social aspect…very few of these “great minds” if any, have much of a grip on “Emotional Intelligence”. Usually, these great minds often grow up as “misfits”, or at the very least “enigmas”. We have come to see that probably most of these individuals would fall into the “Autism Spectrum” as well. And, while, because of their extreme intelligence, and circumstances in life, have led them to be successful in spite of the lack of emotional intelligence…what about all the other “great minds” out there that are never discovered, and end up unable to function in society at all.
The question begs to be asked, “Is it possible to have both intelligence, and emotional IQ? And, if so, how could this be accomplished, when it seems that for most of these individuals, the emotional core of their brain seems to elude them? How can we tap into that emotional center, so that “Thinking” can be complimented with “Feeling”.

ATclarabelle
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 AM

109 posts, read 345,609 times
There are eight types of intelligence. Evaluating Myself on Gardner's Eight Types of Intelligence

I honestly feel the sudden deficiencies in abundant American math, science and inventing geniuses is the lack of awareness that a diagnosis of autism and apserger's can have GOOD outcomes and high IQ's and abilities. The prevalent thoughts about where I live this year is that autism and asperger's kids can NEVER do anything because they are retarded. Not true at all. The diagnosis can have other conditions present but there is no one mold for autism spectrum. If you met one child with it, you have met ONE child who has it. They don't represent all the kids (or adults) with the diagnosis. Autism and Asperger's do NOT have to be a disability. It is just a different ability set than most.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM

10 posts, read 25,628 times
I see your point...and I appreciate it very much...Thank you! In pondering this...I was thinking that...in this time period that we are living...there seems to be a very large lack of "Emotional Intelligence"...and I am not just talking about those that are considered under the "Autism Spectrum" umbrella. Mainly, it is those of "supposed" normal or typical intelligence, that cannot seem to have any emotional intelligence on how to relate or even accept any that are socially different...and these with social difficulties usually are of such higher intelligence, that you would think that they would be commended and applauded by society...but they are not. It is sad, and frustrating that this is the state of things right now for them, and I hope every minute of every day that more and more awareness will start to change this prevailing attitude...and "Intelligence to it's fullest degree" will bloom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children