U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 AM
 
Location: Michigan
29,214 posts, read 52,350,006 times
Reputation: 21670

Advertisements

Given the many challenges involved in raising an autistic child, parents are willing to try a variety of potential remedies, many of which are controversial and unproven.

But one potential treatment that has gained attention recently is one that was controversial well before its first mention in connection with autism.

Mother Gives Son Marijuana To Treat His Autism - ABC News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 PM
 
1,049 posts, read 2,845,111 times
Reputation: 1379
MMM a little good ol cannibis does the brain right!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
 
47,527 posts, read 66,024,135 times
Reputation: 22397
Sounds like the drug using mother may have harmed him during his fetal period. Destroyed his brain before he was born. Drug addicted babies can be suffering from drug withdrawals, just like crack babies stop crying when given cocaine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 08:39 AM
 
109 posts, read 344,786 times
Reputation: 74
Please stop the assumption that ALL cases of autism is caused by drug use. Obviously a troll, malamute!

That is a factor keeping many autistic children (and their families) from getting the help the need. Your comments are defined as "autism ignorance". Obviously what the OP wanted to accomplish. More misleading facts to confuse the ignorant.

I have no doubts that the mother will be going to jail. Even in CA where marijuana is legal for medical use, it's not given to children. Simple as that.

Last edited by leavingGA; 11-25-2009 at 08:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 10:41 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 5,823,380 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sounds like the drug using mother may have harmed him during his fetal period. Destroyed his brain before he was born. Drug addicted babies can be suffering from drug withdrawals, just like crack babies stop crying when given cocaine.
If you read the article you will see that the mother says that she has never used marijuana. Her son was 10 years old and weighed just 46 pounds. She could not get him to eat.

The mother reports that he went from being extremely aggressive, self injurious, and darting out of the home. She did some research and found a doctor who had a protocol for administering medical marijuana to kids with autism. Within hours of eating the prescribed pot brownie, the boy asked for food and he became calm. He went from taking 13 medications 3 times a day to just 3 medications plus a pot brownie every two or three days. He gained a significant amount of weight and he is doing well.

BTW, marijuana does not have the same effect on babies born to mothers who use it during pregnancy as it does with mothers who use drugs such as cocaine, crack, crystal meth and heroin. Prenatal Marijuana Exposure and Neonatal Outcomes in Jamaica: An Ethnographic Study

Last edited by Dorthy; 11-25-2009 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: grammatical error
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
 
43,011 posts, read 102,394,322 times
Reputation: 30587
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Sounds like the drug using mother may have harmed him during his fetal period.
I saw the mother interviewed on the news. She's clearly not a drug user. And I don't think marijuana is half the drug the far right fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
I have no doubts that the mother will be going to jail. Even in CA where marijuana is legal for medical use, it's not given to children. Simple as that.
The mother won't go to jail. A doctor prescribed it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
 
109 posts, read 344,786 times
Reputation: 74
Thanks for the detailed responses.

I let malamute's comments make me so angry that I didn't even click through to the article. Other people knew it would cause issues to make similar comments: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ds-autism.html

I have been told ALL kinds of ignorant things about why my two son's have Autism and Asperger's that I am writing a book. Yes, even from teachers and so-called other experts who should know better. Those attitudes carry through and affcet the kids being helped so it serves no purpose. But it's easier to make stupid assumptions than review facts. I get so angry when people attribute ANY unusual behavior to drug use! I worked as a CASA so I have seen innocent people lose their kids over malicious and ignorant beliefs.

Hopes, I don't live in CA and never used drugs. I wouldn't know the law and it's very surprising. I am grateful that the interventions that my kids had have increased their functioning so it's hard to tell they have anything at all. Even without the use of this kind of extreme treatments.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2009, 02:13 PM
 
43,011 posts, read 102,394,322 times
Reputation: 30587
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
Even without the use of this kind of extreme treatments.
There are many people who consider pharmaceuticals extreme and natural ingredients as safer and better.

I'm not judging your choices. I'm just saying that maybe nobody should judge anyone's choices.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
 
109 posts, read 344,786 times
Reputation: 74
Hopes, you missed my point completely but have decided to pick a fight with me instead.

Fact is that my two kids in autism spectrum were not helped by modern medicine (pharmaceuticals) at all. Side effects were not worth it for one child. I learned non-drug therapies and behavior analysis and many other ways to manage behavior and autism symptoms.

But I beleive in intuitive parenting anyway, so no parenting book (or relative) is going to tell me how to treat my kids. If all those guides were any good, then we would have a lot better examples of adults walking around, it would seem to me....

But we have lots of alternatives and supports NOT available to us because too many people assume autism is caused by all these myths involving illegal drug use (the same conclusion that malamute made) and that IS wrong. That was MY only point and the subject of a book I'm writing and likely even paper for my future Ph.D.

Just so you know, the reason why I am leaving GA is because there ARE no other treatments outside of toxic pills commonly recognized for autism spectrum in this state. And it's why I am so crazy that anyone trying to bother to tell me "stability" is the most important thing for children. Yes, stability in the RIGHT place is important but not the wrong place.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-26-2009, 01:42 PM
 
43,011 posts, read 102,394,322 times
Reputation: 30587
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingGA View Post
Hopes, you missed my point completely but have decided to pick a fight with me instead.
I may have missed your point, but I assure you that I was not picking a fight.

I thought you were judging the women who tried the marijuana treatment.

I was just merely saying that we shouldn't judge any parent's decision on how they chose to treat a child with autism.

If you take a moment to think about it, you'd see that we actually agree.

Just miscommunication and misinterpretation, not judging or fight picking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top