U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 6,964 times

Advertisements

We currently live in MT and have to move out of state to be near a childrens hospital. My son has a form of skeletal dysplasia that is often lethal but we are determined to give him the best care possible while he is with us. He needs a tracheostomy soon and if we can't find a place to relocate to we will travel to seattle for the surgery. He will probably be on a ventilator for some time after the surgery as children with his condition have issues with their airways and need vent assistance. That type of care isnt available in our area so without moving we wont be able to bring him home! So we also need an area with good home nursing care as well. We have two other children, one in third grade and one in ninth. We are thinking about portland, phoenix, or seattle. My husband drives commercially for a living and will be looking for employment( we know the economy stinks) Our top concern is being near)45 minutes give or take, from a childrens hospital. We want a fairly safe area yet one with close shopping. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are heartbroken as a family for our little guy who is 4 months old, and between the sleepless nights being up with him, caring for his special needs, trying to run a household, keep up with the medical bills, and being forced to relocate or watch our son die .... we need HELP! Thanks for any advice. And please don't respond saying we should just let him die. He is a bright eyed, smiling, sweet bundle of love and even though we may lose him we have made up our minds to aide him in whatever way we can. Thanks for reading and if you are the praying sort we are still believing and waiting on a miracle!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:26 PM

1,881 posts, read 2,252,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwedwritinghood View Post
We currently live in MT and have to move out of state to be near a childrens hospital. My son has a form of skeletal dysplasia that is often lethal but we are determined to give him the best care possible while he is with us. He needs a tracheostomy soon and if we can't find a place to relocate to we will travel to seattle for the surgery. He will probably be on a ventilator for some time after the surgery as children with his condition have issues with their airways and need vent assistance. That type of care isnt available in our area so without moving we wont be able to bring him home! So we also need an area with good home nursing care as well. We have two other children, one in third grade and one in ninth. We are thinking about portland, phoenix, or seattle. My husband drives commercially for a living and will be looking for employment( we know the economy stinks) Our top concern is being near)45 minutes give or take, from a childrens hospital. We want a fairly safe area yet one with close shopping. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are heartbroken as a family for our little guy who is 4 months old, and between the sleepless nights being up with him, caring for his special needs, trying to run a household, keep up with the medical bills, and being forced to relocate or watch our son die .... we need HELP! Thanks for any advice. And please don't respond saying we should just let him die. He is a bright eyed, smiling, sweet bundle of love and even though we may lose him we have made up our minds to aide him in whatever way we can. Thanks for reading and if you are the praying sort we are still believing and waiting on a miracle!
Phoenix has a wonderful Children's Hospital centrally located and within a 45 minute drive from most places in the valley. I have never used said hospital, but my (old - I don't live in Phx anymore) doctor's office and Good Sam Hospital are all in the same area. I've talked to many parents with sick children in the hospital and not one had anything bad to say about the hospital.
Good luck and well wishes for you and your family as you embark on this rough journey. You are doing the right thing for your baby... that's the best any parent can do. Love him and hold him and cherish him always.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:47 PM

42 posts, read 199,083 times
There is a children's hospital in Spokane, WA. Sacred Heart Children's Hospital...it's connected to Spokane's Sacred Heart Medical Center. It is cheaper to live in Spokane then Seattle, however Seattle may have more job opportunities. There is a Ronald McDonald house by Sacred Heart Children's Hospital if your family needed that.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:20 PM

43,012 posts, read 98,186,494 times
Pittsburgh has a great Children's Hospital. Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh

The Pittsburgh area is a transportation hub so there are plenty of jobs in trucking.

As a matter of fact, Pittsburgh's economy is doing better than the rest of the country during the recession.

You can live in a safe suburban neighborhood with a good school district and be within 20 minutes from the hospital.

I'm serious---20 minutes or even way less. Our suburbs are literally right next to the city----just across the river.

Pittsburgh's cost of living is lower than all other areas you're considering.

Portland's cost of living is 23% more expensive with housing being 63% more expensive than Pittsburgh.

Pheonix's cost of living is 19% more expensive with housing being 59% more expensive than Pittsburgh.

Seattle's cost of living is 36% more expensive with housing being 76% more expensive than Pittsburgh.

You can verify that on this website: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

In these higher cost of living areas, you'd have to live much farther away from the cities to find affordable housing.

Seriously look into Pittsburgh. With your needing to be with your son, you need to be able to live on your husband's income alone.

Pittsburgh's cost of living and very convenient neighborhoods close to Children's Hospital will make life much easier for your family.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 PM

I forgot to add that Pittsburgh's Children's Hospital recently finished construction on a new location. '

It's totally new and claims to have one of the largest family resource centers in the world.

The rooms are family oriented with desks and internet connections. There are caregiver areas near the rooms. There are sibling areas. The list is endless.

The best part about it is that it's located in an upcoming artsy city neighborhood that's relatively affordable. You could literally walk to the hospital.

Here's info on Lawrenceville if you think you'd like to try living in a city neighborhood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrenceville_(Pittsburgh)

If not, many people here on City-Data would be more than willing to give you suburban neighorhood suggestions. I just thought you'd be surprised to know you could live next to Children's Hospital.

If you want a non-city school district, there are two affordable, safe townships immediately across the river from Children's Hospital that have good school districts.

Read about Children's Hospital here:

New Hospital Campus

Family-Centered Care

Here's a digital drawing of a patient room:

Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,696,764 times
Check out Texas Children's Hospital in Houston, Texas. It is considered one of the best pediatric hospitals in the U.S. and it is part of the excellent Texas Medical Center (http://www.texasmedicalcenter.org/root/en - broken link)

Houston has a very reasonable cost of living, is a big city with lots of opportunity and is generally welcoming of newcomers, and the economy in TX is doing better than the nation over all.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Houston has a very reasonable cost of living, is a big city with lots of opportunity and is generally welcoming of newcomers, and the economy in TX is doing better than the nation over all.
Pittsburgh's economy is definitely comparable.

The economies of San Antonio, Austin and Pittsburgh are doing better than Houston. And Pittsburgh's housing prices are lower than Austin and Houston.

Full List: America's Fastest-Recovering Cities - Forbes.com

Austin's cost of living is 14% more expensive and housing 54% higher than Pittsburgh.

San Antonio's cost of living is 11% cheaper and housing prices are similar to Pittsburgh.

Houston's cost of living is only 1% more expensive but housing is 22% higher than Pittsburgh.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Sounds like San Antonio is a serious option to consider---depending on the Children's Hospital and her husband being able to get a job there.

I think one consideration would be seasons---living in a very hot part of the country or wanting four seasons.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:56 AM..

Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 PM

107 posts, read 265,887 times
lilwewritinghood,

You may want to take a look at Gillette Children's Hospital in Minniapolis/St. Paul.

The environment would not be that far off what you are used to from where you are now. I have family there that has lived all over the country and chose it as their favored place to settle down and raise a family.

Also, I spent the better part of my childhood receiving treatment from a doctor who now heads up one of their pediatric departments. And he is a dedicated, brilliant, patient/family focused man whom I will always credit with getting me to my optimal health. And, I have heard wonderful things about the hospital as a whole.

Best of luck
Good health to your boy.

gracie

Old 06-23-2010, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,789 times
Wink Children's Hospital

My Grandaughter was admitted to Children's a few months back with seizures from a fever but Thank God all test came back negitive and she is fine... She had to stay 3 days just to keep an eye on her and our family couldn't have asked for more.

My daughter and son-in-law stayed at night of course and the rooms on the rendering are exactly that. Very nice shower and the couch to rest, but what I like the very most was each room (intensive care) had a nurse and station right out side each room plus the main one at the Nurses Station.

My neice is a nurse there and I have a few friends who have daughters that are also nurses and love it.

The new buliding is quite impressive, I would give this hospital 2

If anyone is comtemplating moving here whether you are medical staff and families that need to be near a hospital please give me a call, I am a Realtor and would love to help with your search or if you just want to rent for a short time, also let me know and I will be happy to find you something and email photo's over with detail's

Judy Pribanic/Coldwell Banker Real Estate
412-725-5298 (cell)
724-327-0123 x 238 (office)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I forgot to add that Pittsburgh's Children's Hospital recently finished construction on a new location. '

It's totally new and claims to have one of the largest family resource centers in the world.

The rooms are family oriented with desks and internet connections. There are caregiver areas near the rooms. There are sibling areas. The list is endless.

The best part about it is that it's located in an upcoming artsy city neighborhood that's relatively affordable. You could literally walk to the hospital.

Here's info on Lawrenceville if you think you'd like to try living in a city neighborhood:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrenceville_(Pittsburgh)

If not, many people here on City-Data would be more than willing to give you suburban neighorhood suggestions. I just thought you'd be surprised to know you could live next to Children's Hospital.

If you want a non-city school district, there are two affordable, safe townships immediately across the river from Children's Hospital that have good school districts.

Read about Children's Hospital here:

New Hospital Campus

Family-Centered Care

Here's a digital drawing of a patient room:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children