Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2008, 12:06 AM

8 posts, read 37,472 times

Advertisements

I have been doing some research in Washington looking for a small town to relocate.I came across the town of Republic and I thought this could possibly be the place ..so off I went to do more research about this community..I liked what I saw and read ..until today I read an article on the internet named "The Spirit of the Northwest" and in this article it said that Republic ranks first in alcohol abuse and Ferry countys social problems have accelerated with mental health issues,demostic violence and substance abuse..please tell me this is not true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 AM

29 posts, read 90,502 times
I know that Ferry county is the poorest in the state.. and that there is little to zero jobs available.. We are looking to move there in the future because it is beautiful and not the city! (we are from the west side) We have friends there and they have never mentioned the alcohol etc.. however, it wouldn't surprise me since there is no economy, and I think alcohol is always on the rise during a depression- the mental health issues are alarming, and would like to know more about that.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
I think y'all have answered to some extent the mental health issues...long-term unemployment, poverty, alcoholism. None of those help and are inter-related. Don't forget, "mental health issues" includes things like depression...

Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 15,352 times
Can anyone who lives in Republic talk about the weather and the seasons please? I currently live in Olympia, WA and am also considering moving to Republic area.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Certainly drier, snowier, sunnier, hotter and colder than Olympia...if any of that makes sense.

Maybe the below links will help.

REPUBLIC, WASHINGTON - Climate Summary

//www.city-data.com/city/Republic-Washington.html (Scroll down for climate info)

Old 08-13-2010, 11:06 PM

94 posts, read 245,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Certainly drier, snowier, sunnier, hotter and colder than Olympia...if any of that makes sense.
I will second that. Republic is in the mountains on RT 20. The only industry it ever had was logging. The mill there is closed there is no work. Certainly don't expect to find a job.

Winter weather can be a real task. Some years ago I removed an engine from a piece of logging equipment just outside of Republic. I took the engine to Spokane for an overhaul. It took a few weeks to get all the parts. When I returned to install the engine we could not find the machine. It was under 15 feet of snow. If you really like winter it's the place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area