Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 03:24 AM

8 posts, read 34,659 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are looking at relocation from connecticut to spokane in 2008.
the 'cost of living' in spokane is quite attractive compared to connecticut in most areas except medical.
does anyone have any clue as to why general routine medical care is more expensive in spokane than in our neck of the woods which usually is the most expensive for everything.
the 2004 figures we're using show costs at 130% of national average!
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2006, 07:22 AM

454 posts, read 905,214 times
I am sure that there will be a varied and possible passioned response so I don't want to get too political, but part of the issue with health care cost sits with our now Governor, then attorney General who took steps that in many minds ended up pushing many health care providers out of the state. We have little to no control over runaway jury awards, skyrocketing malpractice costs etc. and she made it difficult for health care insurance companies to operate in the state, which is why there is so few here.

Hopefully other will be able to add to this debate, but this may also be a forum hot potato because of the political climate regarding her questionable election two years ago.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:07 PM

424 posts, read 2,696,151 times
Default Thanks Dufferz

I was curious as to why Kaiser Permanente had not come to WA state (except Vancouver which is a spill-over from Portland, OR). This explains it. I noticed that although KP was established in most of CA and OR, they were only in Vancouver WA. I was hoping to have KP when I retire in WA and was disappointed they weren't in Olympia, but oh well....Maybe the politics will change in the future.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:49 AM

8 posts, read 34,659 times
both of you seem to confirm what i suspected.
my carrier (aetna) also does not sell in washington and i couldnt get an answer as to why.
seems everything relates to $$ one way or the other

Old 09-26-2006, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,543 times
My family and I are in the process relocating to Spokane (Colbert) from Riverside, CA next month and we, too, have KP as health insurance right now. According to the KP membership book, they operate under the name of Group Health in Washington instead of Kaiser Permanente. I had planned to call the KP member service center this week to confirm and set up transfer of our PCP.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 AM

46 posts, read 230,333 times
Default Moving from Riverside

My wife and I are relocating to Richland next month as well. Good to have someone from home nearby

Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
We relocated from Dallas to Vancouver and the price of health care was one of the items on the negative side of our evaluation list.

In our six months here we have been pleased with the availability and quality of care but certainly are paying more. Since we have high deductible policies we are very aware of the prices since all but major care come out of our pockets (via a HSA).

Also interesting in our research was the only availability of a level one trauma center was in Portland and Seattle. We hope not to need one but were not fully aware we were surrounded by them in Dallas but are several miles away now.

All things considered the increase in HC costs did not stop us from moving to this beautiful area.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,758 times
I currently live in Vermont and am considering moving to Washington. I'm a self-employed person carrying my own health insurance. Just wondering who can write policies in Washington state and what the premiums are like. I pay nearly $300 per month for a $3000.00 deductible and a $30.00 co-pay. No dental, prescription or eye care.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:00 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTHERNLIGHT View Post
I currently live in Vermont and am considering moving to Washington. I'm a self-employed person carrying my own health insurance. Just wondering who can write policies in Washington state and what the premiums are like. I pay nearly $300 per month for a $3000.00 deductible and a $30.00 co-pay. No dental, prescription or eye care.
You can compare plans using several web sites, for instance:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi...=WA&sid=WA+H+P

Individual Health Insurance Plans - Health Care Coverage - Washington

We have a high deductable plan ($3400 family) with similar coverage that costs us $410 a month for the two of us.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:06 AM

3 posts, read 11,758 times
Thanks for the information. I'll check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area