U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 PM

245 posts, read 584,833 times

Advertisements

Also, I just want to clarify that my original question was not meant to be insulting or suggestive of anything negative.

I just wanted some no-BS, non-realtor truth about Spokane.

I mean, the actual stats/demographics show that the area is 99% white and christian, so I'm trying to get a feel for what sort of white christian people are here.

I grew up in a town 20 minutes north of Boston which was virtually 100% white catholics (yes, go ahead and think of the Kennedy's) so I understand there are vast differences to the types of people who make up each community. The folks in TX are a certain type....and so on.

right now I'm in Santa Fe and this is one weird mix. I sure wish I had paid attention in spanish class...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 PM

13,645 posts, read 26,070,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
I mean, the actual stats/demographics show that the area is 99% white and christian, so I'm trying to get a feel for what sort of white christian people are here.
You need a better source for your stats.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:33 PM

4,800 posts, read 11,112,406 times
The only thing you really need to know about Spokane is where Dick's Hamburger's is. Everything else is secondary.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Redirected from the tax thread:

Quote:
Actually, I totally agree with you.

And I wonder why you are so defensive about it. Stats are stats and I'm just asking for them.
A couple of years ago, a more naive me had the same reservations you have about Spokane. I poured over stats, terrified of what narrowness would be awaiting me in Spokane. I was afraid that I wouldn't fit in, or be as happy with all the "right-wing racists in Spokane", and that my Mexicanity would be a problem for the folks there.

I was completely wrong. Denver looks perfect "on paper" for me, but I am near-miserable with the social environment here. Spokane looked terrible on paper but I felt more free to be myself there (if that makes any sense).

I just don't want you (or anybody) to have the same preconceived notions about the place. I was pleasantly surprised, and I hope you will be too.

Quote:
but I don't want to live where the majority think Yom Kippur is a bizarro holiday or something... that would just make me feel like an outcast.
If anything, I think the worst you'd get is curiosity, and you might need to explain it. I don't think you'd get hated on for being Jewish. Spokane isn't backwoods, there are many educated folks there that would know about Yom Kippur and other Jewish traditions.

Quote:
And, to make a correction, I'm not into a crunchy type lifestyle. Boulder annoys me with all their hippies and so does Santa Fe.
Same here.

Let's just say you can find just about everything in/near Spokane. There are wing-nuts from both sides and moderates interspersed. And plenty of people who don't seem to care.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,272,543 times
Quote:
Hmmm, to answer your question about diversity...
the reason diversity is important to me is because I tend to feel suffocated by one voice/one type of thinking if I'm in a neighborhood that's all the same. EVEN if the neighborhood all reflected my very own beliefs I would grow tired of that. I have always traveled a great deal, both inside and outside the US and I cherish the things I've learned by understanding other cultures.
I'm white and I do not want to live in a predominantly black or mexican neighborhood but I would like there to be other viewpoints in the city I reside. I'm only barely Jewish, mostly by birth, I'm not religious, I just mention that because it feels a little scary to live somewhere that's entirely christian.
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the flesh-out on the diversity thing. I'm not religious either and am not sensitive to it. I am still troubled why you would be scared to be around Christians? The religious in Spokane seem to be a reasonable bunch and are not too vocal. I've not been accosted and told I will burn in a lake of fire if I don't convert

I'd be more afraid of criminals than Christians or other religious people who take their religion to seriously and to far.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:45 PM

91 posts, read 222,240 times
Quote:
Hmmm, to answer your question about diversity...
the reason diversity is important to me is because I tend to feel suffocated by one voice/one type of thinking if I'm in a neighborhood that's all the same. EVEN if the neighborhood all reflected my very own beliefs I would grow tired of that. I have always traveled a great deal, both inside and outside the US and I cherish the things I've learned by understanding other cultures.
I'm white and I do not want to live in a predominantly black or mexican neighborhood but I would like there to be other viewpoints in the city I reside. I'm only barely Jewish, mostly by birth, I'm not religious, I just mention that because it feels a little scary to live somewhere that's entirely christian.
I am looking to move to Spokane soon. I have similiar hopes as my spouse is Asian, so diversity is important. If they were true, authentic Christians (Followers of Christ) I would be very comfortable but I know what you mean by some that call themselves Christian (Cultural Christians). We are very excited about living there.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 AM

7 posts, read 21,943 times
To the OP... there are way more christian people here than Jewish people but, there are some Jewish faith here too. Though maybe not what you are looking for. Why not google and I'm sure you will find a complete listing, and just call them and chat with them.

This is not a big city, so you need to consider the overall idea of that, Also, like very harsh winters. Also I would not come if you do not have a job. Its really hard to find them here right now. So unless you have a lot of disposable income ... I'd rethink it.

I don't think most people here have even heard of Lox. To be honest.

This is sort of a redneck society mixed in with city people but you won't find huge diversity here, not like in larger mecca cities. But we are not "white." We have a predominantly white population but, more and more you will find Hispanics here, followed by other origin/race/nationalities. This is changing more and more as the years go by.

Wages are not that high here... but it is not as bad as living in some places like calif. in terms of cost of living to wage ratio.

But I will say it again..you need to enjoy some really harsh winters to really enjoy it here. If you don't. like that...you won't like it here or at least, not for long. And if you like larger cities, you won't like it here. Its growing but it is not at all a large city feel.

AS to politics? People are conservative here I'd think more than liberal, although you will notice the overall "morality" of people changing to more liberalism overall thru the nation in my opinion. That said, I don't feel like this is a super-political place at all here.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,708 times
My significant other and myself were looking at jobs in Spokane. Just for the record, I lived in a city in Alabama for a while and could not tolerate the people there. Everyone was super conservative and religious. I could not listen to this everyday. I do not expect people to think like me but 99% of people had this view and it was extremely frowned upon to think outside of the box. I could never live in a town like that again. My fear is moving to a place like that and constantly associating with people that have one view and one view only. I currently live in a big city on the East Coast and cannot imagine being surrounded with people that had only view upon life. I also do not want to live in a racist city where anyone who is not white or Christian is immediately viewed as an invaluable individual. Please any information related to this topic is appreciated. I truly enjoy the outdoors and would like a remotely open-minded atmosphere.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovegoats View Post
My significant other and myself were looking at jobs in Spokane. Just for the record, I lived in a city in Alabama for a while and could not tolerate the people there. Everyone was super conservative and religious. I could not listen to this everyday. I do not expect people to think like me but 99% of people had this view and it was extremely frowned upon to think outside of the box. I could never live in a town like that again. My fear is moving to a place like that and constantly associating with people that have one view and one view only. I currently live in a big city on the East Coast and cannot imagine being surrounded with people that had only view upon life. I also do not want to live in a racist city where anyone who is not white or Christian is immediately viewed as an invaluable individual. Please any information related to this topic is appreciated. I truly enjoy the outdoors and would like a remotely open-minded atmosphere.
I lived in Ridgecrest, CA, a town that was at least 70% Republican (trying to be realistic here), very pro-military (there is a base there), very right-wing, and in my experience, racist. Religion wasn't forced down my throat, but there was a very quietly active Mormon contingent in town.

I am not a "stereotypical White American", I'm not religious, and I'm not conservative, and Spokane was a breath of fresh air compared to everywhere else I've ever lived. Frankly, most Spokanites don't give a care about "what" you are, more about who you are, and if you can engage in good conversation and/or are down for a good time. Politics, religion, and racism seemed pretty far from most folks' minds IMO.

Like I've said before, most Spookies cared more about the weekend.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:17 PM

649 posts, read 1,575,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I lived in Ridgecrest, CA, a town that was at least 70% Republican (trying to be realistic here), very pro-military (there is a base there), very right-wing, and in my experience, racist. Religion wasn't forced down my throat, but there was a very quietly active Mormon contingent in town.

I am not a "stereotypical White American", I'm not religious, and I'm not conservative, and Spokane was a breath of fresh air compared to everywhere else I've ever lived. Frankly, most Spokanites don't give a care about "what" you are, more about who you are, and if you can engage in good conversation and/or are down for a good time. Politics, religion, and racism seemed pretty far from most folks' minds IMO.

Like I've said before, most Spookies cared more about the weekend.
Hi David have to chime in here on this one. I would have agreed with you a year ago but I was still a newbee but now that I have lived here three years as of this month ( and as I remember u only lived here a short while, so Spokane gives a good first impression) I have a newfound opinion of spokane's openness. I personally have experienced negative encounters more then just a few times from my neighbors because of my liberal opinions and my liberal community activism. Spokane is very right wing. Spokane is very religious in my opinion. And my opinion has come as the direct result of me getting out of my house a lot in the past year and getting involved in the community through different organizations and consequently meet a lot of different people. Spokane to put it bluntly is a pretty redneck city. And I don't use this word lightly but I have encountered enough different people to comfortably use that term. The population here is pretty uneducated and Fox News is their main source of info and Rush is still a main man here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or