Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

I am waiting for a job offer from the Spokane area (Liberty Falls if you want to get specific). I m a hardware engineer and one of my concerns is if there are enough tech type jobs in the area. I'd hate to move from Boston (No jobs here by the way) and have something happen to the job and have to move yet again for work in a few years.

Also a few other questions if people feel like indulging me:

1) How many families in the area have stay at home moms? My wife is a stay at home and she gets board becasue every other mom in Boston has to work.

2) I'm debating moving to Spokane or Liberty Falls. Pros and cons of each area?

3) I know what the cost of living index says, but is it really that cheap to live in Spokane? It is saying that making $100K in Boston you only need to make $70-$75K in Spokane to have the same lifestyle.

Anyway thanks for reading this. I've been looking through the forum for a week now lurking, but the chance I'm going to be moving is getting frighteningly real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM

968 posts, read 2,063,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodda View Post
I am waiting for a job offer from the Spokane area (Liberty Falls if you want to get specific). I m a hardware engineer and one of my concerns is if there are enough tech type jobs in the area. I'd hate to move from Boston (No jobs here by the way) and have something happen to the job and have to move yet again for work in a few years.

1) How many families in the area have stay at home moms? My wife is a stay at home and she gets board becasue every other mom in Boston has to work.

3) I know what the cost of living index says, but is it really that cheap to live in Spokane? It is saying that making $100K in Boston you only need to make $70-$75K in Spokane to have the same lifestyle.

Anyway thanks for reading this. I've been looking through the forum for a week now lurking, but the chance I'm going to be moving is getting frighteningly real.

!. Many, she will meet many other woman especially if you have kids. Also, most of the professionals are not natives but from Seattle, Cal, and East coast.

2. prob no difference. I am assuming you mean Liberty Lake. LL and Spokane are close enough to each other, not much difference. But closer to activites, other than work, if you live in Spokane, or at least Spokane Valley.

3. Cost of living should be much lower, including housing, in Spokane compared to Boston.

If you decide to move, make sure you hit all the fine Boston restaurants before you leave, since good eating is scarce here.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swigchow View Post
!. Many, she will meet many other woman especially if you have kids. Also, most of the professionals are not natives but from Seattle, Cal, and East coast.

2. prob no difference. I am assuming you mean Liberty Lake. LL and Spokane are close enough to each other, not much difference. But closer to activites, other than work, if you live in Spokane, or at least Spokane Valley.

3. Cost of living should be much lower, including housing, in Spokane compared to Boston.

If you decide to move, make sure you hit all the fine Boston restaurants before you leave, since good eating is scarce here.
1) We have a 1 year old, so I'm hoping that helps.

2) I did mean Liberty Lake, I went to edit it after I caught my mistake and it was to late. So if I want to be close to stuff to do then Spokane is my better bet?

3) I knew it was much less (I know it is hard to be higher), but I wasn't sure if it was 20%+ less expensive.

As for food, I'm not to picky. And let me tell you beeing allergic to Lob'sta in Boston makes it hard to eat out

Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
1. Spokane has plenty of stay-at-home mothers from all social strata.
2. Spokane will be closer.
3. From my experiences in Boston, it may be greater than 20% cheaper...your taxes will be for sure. No state income tax...so far. Lower property taxes and fewer of them...again, so far.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:39 AM

67 posts, read 185,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodda View Post

1) This is a big conservative+Christian area. Stay-at-home moms are certainly common. Home-schooling is too I think.
2) If you're going to be working in Liberty Lake, the obviously living there is closer than not. Your choice will most likely depend on how far you want to drive to work and what character of neighborhood you want (and schools). Anything to the east, in the Valley, is going to be a lot newer than in Spokane proper. In any event, you can kiss those hour-each-way (or more) commutes goodbye.
3) Taxes are much lower, but most impressive to you will be the cost of real estate. It's probably 1/5 that in the greater Boston area. But a new car will cost the same anywhere in the country, so will a loaf of bread, so will clothes, etc. When people talk about the "cost of living" I always get confused b/c other than RE and taxes and maybe utilities, those costs are pretty much uniform throughout the states.

The Bankrate.com salary calculator says $100K = $71K in Spokane but I don't know how accurate the numbers are.
Cost of Living comparison calculator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
View detailed profiles of: